Search

Solar eclipse photography

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by makeUturn
I lived in the Atlanta area where a total eclipse occurred in the mid 80s. It was neat to look through dark glasses and watch the moon moving toward and eventually almost totally cover the sun. Of course there were thousands of photos and videos made of the event and they all looked almost the same, a big dark spot with a bright halo. What fascinated me more was the effect of the event on the landscape. It got very dark and the sky turned various shades of color during the course of the event. The effect was quite different than either sunrise or sunset as the sun was high in the sky. Take a look at the wide angle landscape photo taken in 2001 in Zambia on the Mr. Eclipse site mentioned above. It might be really interesting if the sky is partly to mostly cloudy. To me, something like this would be much more of a photographic challenge than taking a photo of a dark spot covering a bright blob.
Very interesting. Thanks! I may set up a time lapse of Elliott Bay, especially if the day happens to be cloudy.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:24 pm

anyone have thoughts on their solar filters yet? I'll be ordering mine by this weekend. Wouldn't surprise me if Amazon didn't have a run on people buying them up. Going to see what I can do with super telephoto lenses zooming in as much as possible.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:31 pm

Here's yet another resource page for Eclipse photography....this time, from LensRental.com

I noticed that Amazon is out of stock on most popular solar filters, and should have them again in the first week of August. Don't wait too long, you might not be able to find a filter anywhere!

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Jul 25, 2017 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I lived in the Atlanta area where a total eclipse occurred in the mid 80s.
The USA hasn't had a total eclipse since 1979 and it totality was nowhere near Atlanta. Totality wasn't achieved but was fairly close to Atlanta on March 7, 1970.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by indufan
The USA hasn't had a total eclipse since 1979 and it totality was nowhere near Atlanta. Totality wasn't achieved but was fairly close to Atlanta on March 7, 1970.
You are correct. I should have stated an annular eclipse, and it happened in 1984.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
You are correct. I should have stated an annular eclipse, and it happened in 1984.
That would have been cool to see as well.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Sorry for the delay, but I grabbed a quick pic of the sun out today with my solar filter:

Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 18-200 VR: Full zoom (200 mm), f/5.6, ISO 640, 1/100 s (used aperture priority auto at -1 EV).

I might tweak the settings later (and of course I'll use full manual so it doesn't change settings between shots), but I'm pretty satisfied with this for a first try.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:09 pm

Finally got my solar filter today as well!! nice shot!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
solar-eclipse-2017-015
When is the Eclipse?
Aug 21, 17:16 UTC
The eclipse shadow makes landfall in Oregon and begins its supersonic transit across the country. The entire transit of the shadow across the United States will take 1hr 33m 16.8s.
B&H us ready
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We are traveling to Jackson Wy to see the eclipse. Bought a filter from Seymour Solar for the camera and some viewing glasses from Amazon. Really looking forward to it.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:10 pm

played with the solar filter today.....first image is a morning shot, second is an evening shot. Same sunspots, but sun's rotation moved it up a bit later in the day....

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Aug 1, 2017 at 7:07 pm
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
played with the solar filter today.....first image is a morning shot, second is an evening shot. Same sunspots, but sun's rotation moved it up a bit later in the day....

Nice! How long a lens do you have? And how'd you end up with that blue tint on the morning shot?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:23 pm

this was a Sigma 150-600S @600mm. The tint difference is most like due to different shutter speeds. I fired off a wide range of numbers to see which combo would work best.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:36 am

I have been thinking about the landscape and time lapse photos during the eclipse. The one I experienced in Atlanta in 1984 happened in late May in the early afternoon, so the sun was high in the sky. The best way I can describe the effect was similar to having a sunrise and sunset happen at the same time. I live in an area now where there will be about 97 percent coverage of the upcoming eclipse, and it will happen in the early afternoon. I have been thinking about a good location to capture some landscape photos and wish I could be at three different locations at one time. The one thing I did happen to think about is that it does become dark enough for automatic lights to switch on. Think about that when planning a location as the lights could either become a major distraction, or maybe add a nice effect to the captured images if planned well.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
stickerj, thanks for the settings info of your shot. I will be using the same camera and lens but with a 2X extender. I assume your image is not cropped.

I just got my solar filter so need to give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.