Reload this Page >

Anyone using iPhone as only camera?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone using iPhone as only camera?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 12:50 am

Nowadays, I am using iphone for capturing photos. From last 2 years not carried my dslr with me.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
The other is having to unlock the phone and bring up the camera app. Both are fairly easy and quick, but still can't beat the 1/10 second off-to-ready time of an actual camera.
If you look at the lock screen, the bottom right has a camera icon. If you swipe it up it goes straight to the camera app. Saves a bit of time.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:46 pm

everyday stuff- iPhone, vacation -DSLR. cant beat the quality.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: ALL
Any modern smartphone will take decent pictures but IMHO you cannot beat the quality of a DSLR or of a mirrorless camera and good glass when it comes to more complex situtation such as low light pictures or long exposure. I never travel without my a6000. If it's a business trip I will take the 16-70 f/4.0, if it's on leisure i will usually pack a few more primes (12mm f/2.0, 35m f/1.8, 50m f/1.8) depending on where I'm going.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:46 am

I once was on a vacation with an iPhone 4S as my only camera. When I got home, I regretted it. The picture quality just wasn't sufficient. I never carry a dslr anymore because it is too big, but I'm using a high end compact camera like the Canon G7X. Takes better pictures than my current iPhone and I can still put it in my pocket.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:19 am

Spotted this dog in a parking lot the other day. He/She was so big I had to get a picture. Snapped a quick pic with my iPhone 6S and then remembered that I had my DSLR in the backseat. Both taken from the drivers seat.

iPhone 6S:

D7100 @55mm

Old May 29, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I have Iphone 6S plus and DSLR. Iphone camera keeps getting better. They have some more improvements coming (2 lens system maybe etc? In some cases lugging around the DSLR becomes a hassle. Another thing is that it can be easy in certain venues to get that shot off easily with the phone vs a camera with a big lens. Sometimes people act weird when they see a big camera and lens while the phone is somewhat ignored a bit, as everyone has one these days. In some cases the phone really works out easier to handle. In low light DSLR hands down.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: MP
I've decided that the best way is to decide whether you're going for a photo shoot, or for experience. If I'm going for experience and want to snap a few then I'd just take my phone. But when I'm set out for photo trip then I bring out the whole gear set.

That being said, my camera gear has been growing bigger and bigger...
Old May 31, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US
Agreed, the camera on a phone is a lot less capable than what you find on a dedicated device. Nonetheless, I've taken to using only my iPhone 6 while traveling, with very good results. Sure, I've missed a shot here and there that a real camera would have been able to handle (the full moon rising over a Bavarian village at dusk, most recently), but traveling light is more important to me these days, and I still get >90% of the shots I'm looking for. Birders would think otherwise, of course, as would others who rely on longer lenses. But I tell myself that Cartier Bresson took some of the most iconic photos of the 20th century with a fixed focus lens, and I'm happy.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:03 pm

@dascc's photo comparison summarizes my feelings on it.

I think it's great to be able to have a good camera on my phone with me everywhere I go, so I can catch photos of things I wouldn't have been able to take a picture of otherwise...but it's no substitute for a real DSLR.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: MP
I'd say use your phone to capture the experience, and your camera to capture the photograph

But that's just me.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
I have both an iPhone as well as a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. The Samsung is, in my opinion, a better camera. (I've actually done tests, using both, for the same picture....the Galaxy wins).

To the original point, the phone cameras, while convenient, simply don't have the lens power (zoom quality), and resolution of a higher end camera.....so I do carry both (I use a Sony superzoom model, accompanied by the Samsung), and use both.

Only the phone can accommodate the selfie stick....for now.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: various
Often it's the only camera I walk around with. I travel with 3 cameras for weddings and 5 lenses and usually I only bring my iphone. Biggest drawback is lack of zoom. Other than that it's not really a problem for me. People almost always have a tendency to get overly technical. The camera doesn't matter. Photography is simple. Light, composition, moment, edit. In that order.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL, AA
iPhone camera only. Took some photo's at the Chuihily museum in Seattle and
had a terrible time with the yellows getting blown out to white. Colors were
desaturated. Took pics with sis & mom's iPhone's - each camera (chip) processed
color differently.

Other than that, compositions are a "me" issue & most problems can be tweaked
satisfactorily in Photoshop.

Definitely feeling the need for a small point-n-shoot (RAW) camera.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by dascc
Spotted this dog in a parking lot the other day. He/She was so big I had to get a picture. Snapped a quick pic with my iPhone 6S and then remembered that I had my DSLR in the backseat. Both taken from the drivers seat.

iPhone 6S:

D7100 @55mm

AWWwwwwwWWWWwwww
I like them both.

Question - the iPhone pic - were you able to tap on the shadowed area for the
light meter to calibrate? That's a function that sometimes works and other times
under or over exposes - can also mess up the focus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.