Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

One VERY unhappy dog owner on AE...I can't blame him

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP

On a DCA-JFK AE flight which was running late (the news would be if it wasn't running late), an outside ground employee comes onboard and asks the pax in front of me if they had a letter from their vet for their dog being carried underneath. They say no and ask why. The baggage loader, or whatever her title was, says it's below 42 degrees, actually 37, and even colder in NY where they're connecting. I don't know where they're going out of NY or what their connection time is, but apparently there's some AA or FAA reg re temps for dogs and letters from vets being required if the temps and time conditions aren't met. The male passenger exits the plane for awhile, comes back later and then he and his gf/wife both leave. He then comes onboard again a few minutes later, stands at the front of the cabin, and apologizes to all the passengers for the delay (although honestly, I think AE does a great job running late without help from anybody else in that regard) and then rants about how this company (AA) treats a Marine with 8 years service to his country (he was out of uniform but I don't doubt he is/was one). Very strange. Nobody said anything after, not any of the pax or the male FA. I really felt sorry for the couple and have no idea what their plans were for transporting themselves and/or their dog after getting, in effect, kicked off the plane. This was their return flight so apparently they had no problem getting the dog to DCA. I think AA was being too strict although, for all I know they would have been risking a lawsuit or fat FAA fine (they've had enough of the latter). With 20/20 hindsight and a bit more background info and lead time, he could have easily forged a letter from a vet or, better yet, claimed his pooch was a "service animal". They even let pigs, monkeys and ponies on board with that sometimes bogus excuse (which is a misuse of the ADA act from all I've heard/read when it's clearly a pet and NOT a trained companion animal). I even remember reading about Charlotte the Pig on a US flight. They had even called their HQ to no avail. I heard the pig later filed a formal complaint about the poor US service and no bonus miles.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The 40 degree rule has been around for a long time. It especially makes sense if it's below 40 at the connection point - the hold is heated, and the pets should be loaded last and offloaded first. But at a connection, the pet carrier may sit outside for 30-60 minutes or longer, depending on the length of the connection.

I feel bad for the owner, but when I've traveled with my dog, I've always checked and rechecked all the rules. Sub-40 weather in the Northeast in January is pretty common.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ,etsfan1962
What right has the dog owner to be upset with AE? The restrictions (that are in place for the protection of traveling pets) are very clearly listed on aa.com:

Temperature Restrictions
Temperature restrictions have been established to ensure animals are not exposed to extreme heat or cold in the animal holding areas, terminal facilities, when moving the animals between terminal and aircraft or on an aircraft awaiting departure.

Heat Restriction
Pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit at any location on the itinerary.

Cold Restriction
Pets can not be accepted when the ground temperature is below 45 degrees Fahrenheit at any location on the itinerary.

Edited to add:
The restriction for cold temperature restriction may be waived with a written veterinarian statement. The low temperature acclimation certificate/statement/form must include the following:

<listed requirements>

When temperatures fall below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, pets may not be checked even with a statement of low temperature acclimation.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jan 8, 2009 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:29 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I guess I feel more sorry for the dog that the owner would rant about the airline having rules in place to protect the health of the animal. The couple must not think much of their dog.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Jan 8, 2009 at 3:38 pm
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

I don't think the average traveler has the same degree of expertise as those who use FT. Does AA make it very clear to dog owners what the rules are at the time they make a reservation? I'm not defending the owner or the airline. It was a lose-lose situation that didn't make anybody happy.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by metsfan1962
I don't think the average traveler has the same degree of expertise as those who use FT. Does AA make it very clear to dog owners what the rules are at the time they make a reservation? I'm not defending the owner or the airline. It was a lose-lose situation that didn't make anybody happy.
No expertise required. As oklAAhoma pointed out, it's all there on aa.com and it is the passenger's responsibility to be aware of the rules for transporting pets, the same as they should be aware of baggage allowances...but that's a different story
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by brp
The couple must not think much of their dog.
Kinda what I was thinking.

I don't think the average traveler has the same degree of expertise as those who use FT.
One does not have to belong to FT to have the common sense to read the conditions for traveling. Conversely, active participation on FT does not necessarily mean one actually bothers to educate oneself as to applicable rules. Here's a recent example.

It was a lose-lose situation that didn't make anybody happy.
I disagree. Lose-lose would have been had something happened to the dog.

Edited to add:
Originally Posted by britenbsas
...it is the passenger's responsibility to be aware of the rules for transporting pets, the same as they should be aware of baggage allowances...but that's a different story
You beat me to it.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:12 pm

I don't think the average traveler has the same degree of expertise as those who use FT.
True but that's why the baggage handlers know and follow the rules. Pets could die because of ignorance of the owners.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by millionmiler
True but that's why the baggage handlers know and follow the rules. Pets could die because of ignorance of the owners.
Of course by then, it was too late for the owner.

Is what DL did with that prize-winning Greyhound, i.e. losing him, very atypical? Do they generally show greater concern for animals under their care? I know my dog's breeder refuses to ship puppies. If you want to adopt one of her GSDs, you have to pick the puppy up in person. Personally, I'd worry more about the trauma of the trip on the plane screwing up the pup's psyche.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
I feel badly for the guy, too, but...choosing to travel with a pet, either in the cabin or the cargo hold, means you've chosen to subject yourself to some potentially very inconvenient rules/policies.

Sometimes it's smooth sailing. And sometimes it's not. Either way, it was the pet owner's choice ... anyway, I hope this young marine and his bride and dog got to wherever they were going safely.

cheers!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
It may not have been completely his choice. If he was still in the Marine Corps, he may have been on his way to his next duty station, which may have been overseas, hence why he had to fly.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
If he was still in the Marine Corps, he may have been on his way to his next duty station, which may have been overseas, hence why he had to fly.
Not according to the OP.

This was their return flight so apparently they had no problem getting the dog to DCA.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Not according to the OP.

I'm pretty certain this was personal travel for them. Definitely not change in duty station to overseas. It's highly doubtful you'd be traveling with wife/gf AND personal pet because armed forces wouldn't allow either (although there might be some duty stations where you could do that, like embassy duty in Ottawa, etc). I'd imagine even in situations like that, there would be tons of paperwork for the dog, maybe even quarantines depending on location.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I know my dog's breeder refuses to ship puppies. If you want to adopt one of her GSDs, you have to pick the puppy up in person.
Most breeders do that. Most puppies being small (or smallish) can go under your seat on the plane rather than down below so it is preferred that they puppy is picked up rather than shipped.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
....and then rants about how this company (AA) treats a Marine with 8 years service to his country (he was out of uniform but I don't doubt he is/was one).
As a "Former Naval Person" (with a lot more than 8 years if you count Reserve time), this is another flagrant example a twit "Playing the Veteran's Card". You should have told the former Jarhead (affectionate maritime term for Marine) that TS cards were punched in the Chaplain's Office, 2nd Deck, Aft, during the Dog Watch. Most veterans who own dogs have enough sense not to haul the wee puir beasties around in the baggage holds of a/c, in Summer or Winter. His public display was in every sense "Conduct Unbecoming...." or "Contravening good order and discipline".

AE was playing by the rules, long and well established, which ought to apply equally to Lance Corporals and the Commandant, USMC (although I guess Presidents' dogs are subject to different regulations for cartage about in USMC helos or USAF Presidential Flight birds).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.