Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA; Amtrak
But you're a woman'

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E661,00.html

Qantas chief frisked as terrorism suspect
John Masanauskas, Melbourne Herald Sun
11jan06

QANTAS chairman Margaret Jackson was suspected of being a terrorist and frisked during a visit to the US last year. ...

Among her documents were detailed plans of new aircraft, including cross-section diagrams showing seat layouts.

"The guy said `Why have you got all of this?'," she told the Herald Sun.

"And I said, `I'm the chairman of an airline. I'm the chairman of Qantas'. And this black guy, who was, like, eight foot tall, said, `But you're a woman',"
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Ouch! Unbelievable, even if the guy really had been 8 feet tall, that comment was risky. You could find yourself being kneed in a very sensitive place for that one.

Suffice it to say it was an incredibly stupid comment, but hey, that's what we've all come to expect from 90+% of TSA employees...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
"this black guy"

Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by rdg_dc
"this black guy"
IMHO that was a poor choice of words from someone who herself was upset at being typecast.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
IMHO that was a poor choice of words from someone who herself was upset at being typecast.
uhh, last I checked it was merely a descriptor.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Concur. His ethnicity is irrelevant. His stupidity is not.

I hope Mrs. Jackson uses her position to put some much-needed pressure on the US to stop harassing travelers of any gender, ethnicity, religion or citizenship.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by cj001f
uhh, last I checked it was merely a descriptor.
Last I checked woman and black were both *merely* descriptors. But in this case both were used in an inappropriate context. His actions and comment were quite obviously offensive. However, his color (and his size for that matter) had nothing to do with his absolute and utter stupidity and need not have been mentioned.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
I hope Mrs. Jackson uses her position to put some much-needed pressure on the US to stop harassing travelers of any gender, ethnicity, religion or citizenship.
^^ Well said. I hope so too.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Last I checked woman and black were both *merely* descriptors. But in this case both were used in an inappropriate context. His actions and comment were quite obviously offensive. However, his color (and his size for that matter) had nothing to do with his absolute and utter stupidity and need not have been mentioned.
One is adding adjectives to flesh out the picture (and I wager that most Ft'ers recounting this ancedote would include them as well, even those of that demographic) - the other is expressing incredulity that someone of a demographic could in fact be competent. I suppose it depends on the size of your pocket outrage and moral equivalency how offended you are.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by cj001f
I suppose it depends on the size of your pocket outrage and moral equivalency how offended you are.
Huh? You must have me confused with someone else. I'm fairly sure my pockets have never even been annoyed, let alone outraged.

It's simply my opinion that both parties were careless in their choice of words. Apparently you don't see it that way. I'm fine with that as you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Can't we just agree to disagree on this? As they say: YMMV.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA; Amtrak
POINT
I find her characterization of tall people as menacing despicable and uncalled for. Of course, considering Hollywood often typecasts tall people in roles like Frankenstein's monster or the giant in Jack & the Beanstalk it's no wonder vertically gifted are feared and misunderstood. Yes, some Giganto-Americans do trample villages underfoot, but many turn to a life of crime because paths to stable professions like figure skater and jockey are closed due to prejudice and lack of opportunity. That guard is not some nameless ogre, Mr. "eight foot tall" has feelings and dreams.

COUNTERPOINT
In a story too familiar to too many, a normal person has become the victim of intimidation and oppression at the hands of a Tall person. Yet here again, the media will ignore the real monster in this story: the persistent societal demon of underlying Tall Privilege. Study after study shows that tall people earn more money, prevail in elections more often, and win more basketball games. Not satisfied with denying this system of institutional discrimination, Tallers are constantly demanding "more legroom" or "more headroom"-- which is it going to be, Tallers? Ms. Jackson deserves a medal for striking back at the "high"erarchy.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
choster,

I was waiting from the "Jane, you ignorant slut" line from the classic SNL Point/Counterpoint skit.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=529180
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
And why did they question her? Did the plans have pointy edges? Seems they were looking for suspicious things instead of things that could endanger an aircraft.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"But you're a woman"

Nice one one from LAX TSA.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
Nice one one from LAX TSA.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513010

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.