Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY Times: Boeing Fires C.E.O. Dennis Muilenburg

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:21 am
LIH
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC

https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-...d=breakingnews (paywall)

Muilenburg just resigned. Surprised he hung on this long between pressure on the board to act and the public leaks about conflict between Dennis and the FAA in recent meetings. I don't know much about Kellner because I never flew CO in his era but seems to me that appointment would be more focused on trying to smooth over customer relationships as opposed to FAA conflicts.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg SACKED by the Board over MAX!

Dennis Muilenburg was at the helm when Boeing changed course from safety and excellence to cost cutting, launched the 737 MAX as a 737 upgrade concealing the need to mediate between pilot and controls with MCAS software.

Presumably, Boeing can now overhaul the corporate culture, reestablish credibility, remediate the MAX disaster - as well as the KC-46 and 787 manufacturing problems - and get back to business. Assuming the Board insists the hard work of corporate cultural change and isn’t firing Muilenburg for effect.

Boeing said in a statement that its board of directors “decided that a change in leadership was necessary to restore confidence in the company moving forward as it works to repair relationships with regulators, customers, and all other stakeholders.”
Attached Images  
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Boeing Fires C.E.O. Dennis Muilenburg

Wasn't sure where to post this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/b...uilenburg.html

Who didn't see this coming?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The cynic in me thinks that this mostly a face saving operation in a desperate attempt to try to get their re-certification for the MAX sooner as opposed to later, but somebody was eventually going to have to fall on this sword. I'm sure Dennis' golden parachute will be leave him more than comfortable until his next gig.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Maybe they'll give him his own personal DeathMAX.
milski and YuropFlyer like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/b...uilenburg.html

Looks like the board got fed up with rolling delAAys in 737MAX return to service. Unclear how much the Starliner fizzle contributed.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:13 am

Surprised it took this long
757FO likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LIH
https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-...d=breakingnews (paywall)

Muilenburg just resigned. Surprised he hung on this long between pressure on the board to act and the public leaks about conflict between Dennis and the FAA in recent meetings. I don't know much about Kellner because I never flew CO in his era but seems to me that appointment would be more focused on trying to smooth over customer relationships as opposed to FAA conflicts.
According to NY Times, Muilenburg didn't resign. He was fired by Boeing's Board.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GfL
Wow, all it took was one article in the NY Times (yesterday’s piece about how his bumbling response to the MAX crisis made things worse).
esquiar likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
This is also being reported on MSNBC. It may be that launching the Boeing Starliner into the wrong orbit was the final nail in the coffin.

Originally Posted by transportprof
According to NY Times, Muilenburg didn't resign. He was fired by Boeing's Board.

Last edited by Nikongirl; Dec 23, 2019 at 12:11 pm Reason: corrected typo
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
CNBC reported today that the last straw was him publishing a timeline for Max to return to service meanwhile the FAA repeatedly stated they were in control of that. They called him to DC last week to clarify that. That was enough for the board and he was gone.
milski and BearX220 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Wow, all it took was one article in the NY Times (yesterday’s piece about how his bumbling response to the MAX crisis made things worse).
That's how the Sunshine Scenario works for some board members - one illuminating piece is enough to tip them over the edge.

Now, as JDiver says, the board has to be serious about corporate culture change if they want Boeing to be successful long run.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:58 am
LIH
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
Not sure which one of those would technically be better or worse based on his employment contract... Generally its the economics that drive how that is worded (because a non-control equity owner CEO always basically serves at the pleasure of the board).
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Great hopefully more to come, now when can we expect the same from the FAA?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
This is also being reported on MSNBC. It may be that launching the Bosing Starliner into the wrong orbit was the final nail in the coffin.
The wrong orbit? Good heavens. I mean I am no scientist or engineer but surely that is something that would be triple checked?

Just reinforces to me how bad the processes and procedures must be at Boeing and how they ended up with the MAX debacle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.