FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   Now the BEST airline meals are revealed, Saveur (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/1621290-now-best-airline-meals-revealed-saveur.html)

SanFranDan Oct 17, 2014 6:28 am

Now the BEST airline meals are revealed, Saveur

Caviar and champagne, fillet of beef with vintage wines and cheese served with Croft port: Now the BEST airline meals are revealed

By Anucyia Victor for MailOnline Published: 05:25 EST, 17 October 2014

'Exquisite', ' impeccable' and 'dazzling' are not words often used when asked to describe airline food.

However, these are the descriptions used by luxury food magazine Saveur, when it revealed the carriers with the best in-flight options.

The magazine's second annual Culinary Travel Award winners were chosen by an expert panel of the editors as well as industry experts, travel writers, photographers and chefs.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...-revealed.html

CPRich Oct 17, 2014 8:20 am

Pretty poor writing.

Business and first-class guess are able to freshen up in one of the two on board showers
Wrong

"Emirates Airlines scooped The Experts Choice award" and yet "Oman Air's business and first class meals were voted as their top choice." Emirates was "considered 'notable'" in coach and not mentioned in F/Business.

jake108 Oct 17, 2014 11:48 am

Who is missing?

AY! Why? Beginning in April this year I tried to make meal selection for their highly touted reindeer filet, tried right up until departure about a month back-calling, emailing, etc. Was in J JFK-HEL & HEL-HKG.
Thankfully rest of RTW was CX J. They excel.

rendezvous Oct 17, 2014 2:51 pm

The best airline steak I've ever consumed was on a Dragon Air HKG-PEK first class flight this summer. It was truly outstanding.

pigx5 Oct 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by rendezvous (Post 23693972)
The best airline steak I've ever consumed was on a Dragon Air HKG-PEK first class flight this summer. It was truly outstanding.

Does Dragon Air have first class on this route?

SIA747Megatop Oct 17, 2014 7:50 pm

TG J food?! A lot of their meals are the same stuff they serve in Y just thrown in a ceramic casserole. They often use the same ceramic casserole in Y.

Three airlines - Turkish Airways, Korean Air and Virgin Atlantic - received outstanding mentions whist Emirates Airline, Air France, Virgin America, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, LAN Airlines, JetBlue, Delta Airlines and United's economy dining services were considered 'notable.'
United's economy dining services were considered notable?! Notably bad?

sriegert Oct 18, 2014 1:49 pm

that DL pic was taken in the late 80s or possibly early 90s... dailymail smh

fly4work Oct 18, 2014 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by sriegert (Post 23697703)
that DL pic was taken in the late 80s or possibly early 90s... dailymail smh

That is an old Delta International First Class Meal.

sltlyamusd Oct 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop (Post 23695015)
TG J food?! A lot of their meals are the same stuff they serve in Y just thrown in a ceramic casserole. They often use the same ceramic casserole in Y.

United's economy dining services were considered notable?! Notably bad?

Either notably bad, or notably absent. :D

As mentioned, the article is really sloppy. The DL photo is ancient and the LAN photo is not from Y.

pogopossum Oct 18, 2014 2:35 pm

The finest meal I've had on an airline, if I remember correctly, was grilled trout in economy on a United flight from Boston to San Diego - of course, this was 1975. Nothing to match it since. :)

Cheers,
Pogopossum

flyertalker00156 Oct 19, 2014 1:47 am

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 23691921)
Pretty poor writing.

Wrong

"Emirates Airlines scooped The Experts Choice award" and yet "Oman Air's business and first class meals were voted as their top choice." Emirates was "considered 'notable'" in coach and not mentioned in F/Business.

This is the Daily Mail so you should not expect too much...

HMPS Oct 19, 2014 3:54 am

The best J meals I had were on SQ, blew away BA F and LHR j. Pity I can't use SQ often. Service leaves others in the dust too.

rjque Oct 19, 2014 7:53 am

It's generally all akin to leftovers, even in premium classes, so the best meals tend to be things that are better as leftovers - i.e. soups. One of the most memorable I've had was an abalone soup in CX F, with bits of undisclosed chicken feet at the bottom of the bowl.

I've never had a good steak on an airplane. There is always something wrong with the temperature, and often the texture.

AADFW Oct 20, 2014 2:10 am

Originally Posted by rjque (Post 23700321)
I've never had a good steak on an airplane. There is always something wrong with the temperature, and often the texture.

Great concept for the next Gordon Ramsey taping... "Stakes on a Plane!" :D

price123 Oct 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by pigx5 (Post 23694205)
Does Dragon Air have first class on this route?

Yep - or at least they did in 2012