Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Now the BEST airline meals are revealed, Saveur

Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Caviar and champagne, fillet of beef with vintage wines and cheese served with Croft port: Now the BEST airline meals are revealed

By Anucyia Victor for MailOnline Published: 05:25 EST, 17 October 2014

'Exquisite', ' impeccable' and 'dazzling' are not words often used when asked to describe airline food.

However, these are the descriptions used by luxury food magazine Saveur, when it revealed the carriers with the best in-flight options.

The magazine's second annual Culinary Travel Award winners were chosen by an expert panel of the editors as well as industry experts, travel writers, photographers and chefs.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...-revealed.html

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 17, 2014 at 9:54 am Reason: Removed apparent undisclosed tracking or referral link
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Pretty poor writing.

Business and first-class guess are able to freshen up in one of the two on board showers
Wrong

"Emirates Airlines scooped The Experts Choice award" and yet "Oman Air's business and first class meals were voted as their top choice." Emirates was "considered 'notable'" in coach and not mentioned in F/Business.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Who is missing?

AY! Why? Beginning in April this year I tried to make meal selection for their highly touted reindeer filet, tried right up until departure about a month back-calling, emailing, etc. Was in J JFK-HEL & HEL-HKG.
Thankfully rest of RTW was CX J. They excel.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
The best airline steak I've ever consumed was on a Dragon Air HKG-PEK first class flight this summer. It was truly outstanding.

Last edited by rendezvous; Oct 17, 2014 at 3:36 pm
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by rendezvous
The best airline steak I've ever consumed was on a Dragon Air HKG-PEK first class flight this summer. It was truly outstanding.
Does Dragon Air have first class on this route?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
TG J food?! A lot of their meals are the same stuff they serve in Y just thrown in a ceramic casserole. They often use the same ceramic casserole in Y.

Three airlines - Turkish Airways, Korean Air and Virgin Atlantic - received outstanding mentions whist Emirates Airline, Air France, Virgin America, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, LAN Airlines, JetBlue, Delta Airlines and United's economy dining services were considered 'notable.'
United's economy dining services were considered notable?! Notably bad?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
that DL pic was taken in the late 80s or possibly early 90s... dailymail smh
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:18 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by sriegert
that DL pic was taken in the late 80s or possibly early 90s... dailymail smh
That is an old Delta International First Class Meal.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
TG J food?! A lot of their meals are the same stuff they serve in Y just thrown in a ceramic casserole. They often use the same ceramic casserole in Y.

United's economy dining services were considered notable?! Notably bad?
Either notably bad, or notably absent.

As mentioned, the article is really sloppy. The DL photo is ancient and the LAN photo is not from Y.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
The finest meal I've had on an airline, if I remember correctly, was grilled trout in economy on a United flight from Boston to San Diego - of course, this was 1975. Nothing to match it since.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying around the world
Originally Posted by CPRich
Pretty poor writing.

Wrong

"Emirates Airlines scooped The Experts Choice award" and yet "Oman Air's business and first class meals were voted as their top choice." Emirates was "considered 'notable'" in coach and not mentioned in F/Business.
This is the Daily Mail so you should not expect too much...
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
The best J meals I had were on SQ, blew away BA F and LHR j. Pity I can't use SQ often. Service leaves others in the dust too.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's generally all akin to leftovers, even in premium classes, so the best meals tend to be things that are better as leftovers - i.e. soups. One of the most memorable I've had was an abalone soup in CX F, with bits of undisclosed chicken feet at the bottom of the bowl.

I've never had a good steak on an airplane. There is always something wrong with the temperature, and often the texture.

Last edited by rjque; Oct 19, 2014 at 8:20 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by rjque
I've never had a good steak on an airplane. There is always something wrong with the temperature, and often the texture.
Great concept for the next Gordon Ramsey taping... "Stakes on a Plane!"
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by pigx5
Does Dragon Air have first class on this route?
Yep - or at least they did in 2012

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.