Wiki Posts
Search

Biking in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Biking in Rome

I am consistent cyclist when I am not traveling. Generally, except for Winter, I do about 15-20 miles/ day for most of each week.

As my travel has picked up, I am trying to work it to be able to rent a bike and get out on the road when I am away. I am used to a carbon road bike.

So, has anyone rented a road bike in Rome? I have one or two days free on my next trip in September and would like to try it.

I had heard the the Via Appia Antica would be a good ride from Rome to Lake Albano, but I have my doubts about using a road bike for this. With the cobblestones in Rome, I suspect that a road bike might be limiting.

Any advice would be welcome. Rental shops, routes, warnings, etc. Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think some friends of mine biked in Italy; not sure if it was Rome. They're currently biking in Germany. I can ask them when they get back.

Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:22 am

Check your PMs.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
I just came back from Rome in March and took my bike along with me because I wanted to get some training rides in, and it doesn't take me too long to reassemble once it's there (for reference I have a Serotta Colorado GS).The Lago di Bracciano is a great lake route - pretty easy and around 22 miles total. It's easy to get there by train to the station in Viterbo, and I had no issues getting the bike on the train. I was not brave enough to road bike it on the roads in Rome - my helmet will only protect so much!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip about Lago di Bracciano. I will check that out. I hope that I will be able to get one whole day to myslef, but the likelihood is probably a half day. I suppose if things look too hectic on the streets that I can always ride along the Tiber on the walkway where there are no cars.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Totally forgot about the Tiber - the trail that's down along the actual river is pretty nice. However, being female and riding solo, I didn't want to do too much distance down there. I ran a few times with a friend, and it was never really that crowded.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I know what you mean about the trail. There is ocassionally the odd person down there. Going solo might invite some unwanted attention.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taylorc418
I was not brave enough to road bike it on the roads in Rome - my helmet will only protect so much!
Same here....those drivers are crazy

Munich on the other hand...we went EVERYWHERE on bikes for several days. Very nice.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by annerj
Same here....those drivers are crazy

Munich on the other hand...we went EVERYWHERE on bikes for several days. Very nice.
Last time I was in Munich it took me a couple of days to realize that all those nice broad pedestrian paths I was pushing the wheelchair on were BIKE PATHS! My cluelessness was harmless until rush hour...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.