Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

2-year old seated alone in business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:13 am
Original Poster

My wife and I will be travelling with our 2.5 year old son on a 16-hour flight in business with 1-2-1 seat configuration (AA). We will occupy 3 seats (2 window and 1 aisle).

My concern is this... The seats are relatively far apart and angled in a way that the passengers are not able to see each other. My son has moderate separation anxiety typical for this age. So I have doubts about having him seated by himself during takeoff and landing, as well as during the time when the seat belt sign is turned on. Since he's still a toddler, I'm curious if the FA's would allow him to sit with his mom during this time?

I understand that we can travel coach instead. We debated for a while but concluded that the extra space and being able to sleep lying flat would be better for him on a long haul flight.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by AlexC
My wife and I will be travelling with our 2.5 year old son on a 16-hour flight in business with 1-2-1 seat configuration (AA). We will occupy 3 seats (2 window and 1 aisle).

My concern is this... The seats are relatively far apart and angled in a way that the passengers are not able to see each other. My son has moderate separation anxiety typical for this age. So I have doubts about having him seated by himself during takeoff and landing, as well as during the time when the seat belt sign is turned on. Since he's still a toddler, I'm curious if the FA's would allow him to sit with his mom during this time?

I understand that we can travel coach instead. We debated for a while but concluded that the extra space and being able to sleep lying flat would be better for him on a long haul flight.
The FA should not allow the 2.5 yr old to sit with a parent during takeoff and landing because that violates most safety rules. Some might overlook it, but you can't count on it.

How do you plan to keep the child in his seat during any part of the flight if you can't see him and he can't see you? What's to stop him from getting down and wandering around, especially if you and his mother are asleep?

I've heard a child safety seat can not be used on many business class seats because of the set-up of the seat. And a toddler is pretty small, how will you restrain him in his seat if there is turbulence and the "Fasten Seatbelt" light is on and you can't hold him? A regular seatbelt isn't very effective on someone so small.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It would be a violation of AA's safety & security rules for a FA to permit a child over age 2 to be seated with a parent at any time when the seat belt sign is illuminated, e.g. departure, landing or turbulence.

That is for the child's safety, your safety and the safety of other passengers. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the child becomes a projectile.

If reported by another passenger, another crew member of if there is an incident, the FA faces severe discipline, AA faces fines and if someone, including the child or another passenger is injured, lawsuits.

From your perspective, it's about your child's safety.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
As a parent I have had this type of conversation with myself on a number of occasions (my daughter is now 5). As a result we have only flown business in aircraft configurations that allow 2 people to be seated immediately alongside one another (e.g. Lufthansa, BA). My view has been that anything else would have been asking for trouble.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Ok, thanks. I guess holding him is out of question. Lately, long haul business class seat config tends to be 1-2-1 and designed to maximize privacy. I checked AA, CX, and JL, all with similar product offering.

So are young children, say age 2 to 5, a rare sight in business? And if they do sit in business, how do they cope with takeoff, landing, etc? I haven't flown enough to know this. A side-by-side 2-2-2 lie flat config would be ideal, such as one on Korean Air A380 Prestige class, but those are not easy to find.

Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I didn't know there's an option for "Family Couch (Economy Class)", anyone tried this?

"Three seats in the same row can be adjusted into a sofa-like bed for families with children(availability limited to specific seats only), allowing you to enjoy a happy time with your kids"

"Exclusive items for Family Couch passengers include: Dedicated safety belt, cushion protector, pillow, blanket and toys for children"

https://www.china-airlines.com/au/en...eing-777-300ER
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:35 am

I have done US TO HKG from & India to US and few international flights within Asia. We did biz class on all3 of us and worked well, we just brought his colorful books and tablet loaded with baby videos and worked well. He was less than 16 months and 20 months at the time. I traveled on Asian & middle eastern carriers and i found them to be better for us over UA, AA. He watches his videos, looks at the book, sleeps, you bring him to your seat and laugh play( not making loud noises). That's how you spend 16 hour long flight time with a child. don't make a big deal, and don't keep asking if that or this is okay. Just enjoy your flight and your child will enjoy his time too on a biz class seat.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I'm pretty sure I've seen posts in the AA forum regarding issues with using child seats in the 1-2-1 business seats. They supposedly were not certified/allowed to have child seats in them. Something about them being angled instead of straight forward and back. You might want to call AA to ensure you can use a child seat inflight.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:38 pm
BCH

Hi there. My kid is 6 now, but over the course of the past 4 years (since she could no longer be a lap child) we've used all kinds of business cabin configurations. For me, too, it has been important to be able to see her during take-off and landings, and to make sure that she wouldn't be anxious about not seeing her dads.

So (having read this advice somewhere else; I take no credit) we rehearsed "solo" flying at home. We pretended to board a plane, take separate seats (including creating dividers where we couldn't see each other), put on belts, and sit still for 10-minutes while leafing through books, and playing on an iPad.

We gave our daughter these cool Tiger headphones just before the first long-haul actual trip to get her excited to use them. https://www.amazon.com/Califone-2810.../dp/B000MUXVZO

Another FTer recommended Hyland's 4 Kids, an all-natural herbal product, to help a baby rest. We got it at WholeFoods and used it a few times. http://www.hylands.com/products/hyla...80%99n-restful

After nearly 70 flights, including about a dozen in trans-oceanic business class, all these tricks seemed to have worked.

(Lastly, in the new AA seats you show above, if you and your child take the 2 middle seats, it's possible for you to lean forward for him to see you or to see the person sitting by the window if that person leans a bit forward and looks to the side.)
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Here is my recommendation for seating in AA's 777s with the new lie-flat seats: select one window seat and two middle seats, where the middles are NOT next to each other, but instead both across from the window. You will find on AA's aircraft that the window and center sections are staggered, so the window seat is actually between the two middle rows. Then seat the child at the window, and the parents in front and back of each other across the aisle.

Because of the herringbone configuration, the child will be able to see one parent easily (the one in front of them), and the parent behind will similarly be able to see the child. (Everyone will have to crane their necks to look the other way.) Yes, it's true you'll have to get up and cross the aisle to physically assist your child, but it's quite easy to slip in and out of the seats when the arm rest is lowered.

Given the stage length and carriers you're considering, I presume this is for a DFW-HKG flight or similar, in which case you're not going to find many better seating options. We tend to prefer the staggered side-by-side seats you'll often find on 767s, but those aren't common on TPACs. I also strongly recommend you stick with lie-flats as opposed to the various angle-flat options you can find, which are more likely to be side-by-side.

Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, one of the best carriers for parents traveling with a young child in the premium cabin is UA, as they have side-by-side options in all business cabins. Unfortunately, those seats are pretty darn narrow...
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Our son was just 3 on a flight a few years ago like this. We had myself in the window. My son across the aisle from me, and my wife next to son but separated by the hard divider. If I leaned forward slightly I could see him fine, and he could see me. Also my wife was right next to him, although separated. He didn't stay there the whole flight, but it worked fine during takeoff, landing, or turbulence. 2 1/2 might be slightly tougher to explain though than a 3 year old.

Here's pictures of what it looked like. It's not exactly AA's configuration but it was similar. I think the pictures of the empty plane make it seem that the child will be more isolated than they actually are. It wasn't hard for him to see my wife or myself at any time, and she could reach over and help him out without much effort.

Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Those photos look like DL's new 330 BE cabin, where it is easier to reach between the middle seats than AA's 773 J.

Last edited by Erasmus; Sep 21, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Since it's 1-2-1, can you sit in the 1-2 section and not in 2 windows and 1 middle? We've flown in 2-2 or 2-2-2 and make sure that our baby (now 7) sits in one of the "2" sections with a parent. Only once we were on a 1-1-1 setting, where he did sit at the window in his car seat and I just helped with various things as I was in the middle (ual new config 767-300 3-class).
Anyway children are often in C or F, and I don't suggest you change your preference if you want to sit in C or F. There's absolutely nothing wrong about it.

I also suggest taking full advantage of their seat - ie no need to share a seat.

Finally I loved the picture above of the little guy sleeping on flight with his pacifier. We definitely still bring our Lovey and some stuffies on the plane.

Happy travels
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BCH
(Lastly, in the new AA seats you show above, if you and your child take the 2 middle seats, it's possible for you to lean forward for him to see you or to see the person sitting by the window if that person leans a bit forward and looks to the side.)
I'm assuming the OP is on a 77W, not a 772. On the latter, following the refit, the dividers don't drop down and there's not much you can do.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I have flown CX with the 1-2-1 configuration multiple times. I found that it's best to put my child (now 6) on the Windows seat, and I seat in the middle. DH will be sitting in front of child on Windows. Much easier access than taking the 2 middle seats. In the middle, you can lean over and talk / buckle seat belts but you won't be able to pick up stuff that the kid drops. And not easy to help him with food...etc. And you'll need to walk around to get him if you need to take kid to bathroom.

If only middle seats are left, then grab the one as close to galley as possible. You will be able to get to the child quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.