Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Air NZ skycouch - help please :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 3:42 am
Original Poster

My husband and I are travelling AKL-HNL later in the year with our 3 year old and 14 month old. We've booked a skycouch plus one extra seat both ways (so essentially a seat each). I'm just not sure what the best option is. I had thought my husband could sit in the single seat and the kids and I could position ourselves on the skycouch so I could hopefully feed the youngest (ideally to sleep) and the kids could sleep lying down while I sat reclined as I normally would. Or do you think it would be better to have the 14mo in a car seat - I keep reading about people doing that. I wasnt planning on even taking the carseats but now think I might do but would check them through so we have them for transport when we arrive in HNL. Any advice from those experienced travelling with kids would be appreciated.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
I personally wouldn't see the point of having the sky couch and a car seat because from what I understand from the advertising that the point of the skycouch is to have the extra space to stretch out whereas if you then use the car seat you may as well have just booked 3 economy seats and passed on the idea of the couch

Incidentally did you book your 14 month old as a child or an infant?
Old May 23, 2016, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the sky couch is for two, so the younger kid must be booked as a lap infant. To me, this would imply that he/she cannot be assigned a seat and therefore you normally cannot use a car seat. Also, if you try to use the car seat in husband's seat (across the asile from the skycouuch), this would probably violate rules about carseats not impeding emergency access, usually meaning that the carseat must be installed in a window seat.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:25 pm

Unless your baby really loves to be in the carseat I would just check them and enjoy the skycouch. I know some kids do great in their carseats, but I didn't have any luck using them with either of my kids. They didn't want to be in it and once it's on the plane there's no where else to put it, so I'd end up with a child on my lap and a carseat wasting a lot of space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.