FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Is the wearing of shorts by a tourist in BKK OK? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/2031922-wearing-shorts-tourist-bkk-ok.html)

KrisKv9 Jan 5, 2021 7:28 pm

Is the wearing of shorts by a tourist in BKK OK?

A thread in UA forum about wearing shorts in F class has expanded to wearing shorts in BKK. It is written that farangs wearing shorts in BKK are offensive, disrespectful and looked down upon by Thai people. Since I will be in BKK @ the end of this month for a vacation and had intended to wear shorts, I would appreciate clarification on this issue. Your comments will be appreciated!
Kris

seavisionburma Jan 6, 2021 1:45 am

Not at all. Shorts around the city are fine, but try not to look like you just walked off the beach. Shorts & polo shirt type of thing is okay in general day wear, just don't look tacky

The big no-no is to wear shorts in government buildings, immigration offices and the like - always dress respectfully (minimum trousers, no sleeveless shirts/singlets)

IAN-UK Jan 6, 2021 4:47 am

Originally Posted by seavisionburma (Post 32942675)
Not at all. Shorts around the city are fine, but try not to look like you just walked off the beach. Shorts & polo shirt type of thing is okay in general day wear, just don't look tacky

As above. There are shorts, and shorts. Bangkok isn't a beach resort.

LondonElite Jan 6, 2021 4:54 am

Bangkok is open for tourism?

Comatose.Captain Jan 6, 2021 5:20 am

Originally Posted by seavisionburma (Post 32942675)
The big no-no is to wear shorts in government buildings, immigration offices and the like - always dress respectfully (minimum trousers, no sleeveless shirts/singlets)

I'd add two things to that. One, shorts may be inappropriate when visiting certain temples, shrines, palaces, etc. Two, I'd argue that it's especially (Western) women who might need to dress differently than they would at home when the thermometer hit 30 degrees centigrade (~85 degrees Fahrenheit).

seavisionburma Jan 6, 2021 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain (Post 32942961)
I'd add two things to that. One, shirts may be inappropriate when visiting certain temples, shrines, palaces, etc. Two, I'd argue that it's especially (Western) women who might need to dress differently than they would at home when the thermometer hit 30 degrees centigrate (~85 degrees Fahrenheit).

Excellent point on the temples. 100% no shorts or sleeveless for gents, ladies to cover shoulders and legs.

LondonElite Jan 6, 2021 6:01 am

To err on the safe side, any temple, shrine, or palace, as well as the nicer hotels, is long trousers and sleeved shirt. Yes, there are always the slobs in flip flops in shorts and t-shirts like they are at the beach, but don't be like that.

IluvSQ Jan 6, 2021 1:45 pm

In general, shorts are considered gauche in the city. Yes, they are worn by tourists, and by visiting farmers, but they are not considered as
appropriate dress in offices or better restaurants.
They are forbidden if visiting the major wats ( temples), and the Grand Palace.

You do know about the COE and ASQ requirements?

krispy84 Jan 6, 2021 6:40 pm

Some divergent views here.

IMO absolutely nothing wrong with wearing shorts in Bangkok. From a tourist perspective, some temples will require long trousers but others don’t. Signs by the entrance will let you know, or ask the security guards. Many Asian tourists wear shorts as well, so it isn’t an East/West thing.

Regarding hotels, you will see plenty of shorts during the day, even in the very best hotels. I personally never wear shorts in the evening in cities and they would look out of place in smart bars and restaurants - there is a lot of style and elegance in Bangkok at the high-end side of things.

Diplomatico Jan 8, 2021 4:09 pm

The only time I've ever worn long trousers in Bangkok was going to or from the airport. Otherwise, 100% in shorts.

As I don't visit temples, palaces, or Michelin starred restaurants....no one cared.

IAN-UK Jan 8, 2021 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 32952043)
The only time I've ever worn long trousers in Bangkok was going to or from the airport. Otherwise, 100% in shorts.

....no one cared.

Thai's are by nature very polite :D

transpac Jan 8, 2021 5:11 pm

Most tourist sites are closed, so that's not an issue.

Plan to wear a mask, also maybe bring N95 masks as we're heading into burning/smog season.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai...ress-code.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia...red-no-no.html

OMGImInPattaya Jan 8, 2021 6:36 pm

Shorts in Bangkok are fine...especially stylish resort wear. Most temples ban shorts and tank tops for both men and women and if you're staying at or visiting the Oriental Hotel, they ban shorts in public areas after 5 p.m. (in the room is okay). However, be aware that it's now "Winter" here and some days it only reaches the mid 80s and dips to the low 60s at nite 😁

SKT-DK Jan 8, 2021 8:21 pm

Shorts are fine - as others have said, just be conscious of where you go when wearing what. Temples, offices, etc it’s a no-go. During the day many Thais and non-Thais wear shorts and flip flops when roaming around (go to a supermarket on the weekend and you will see - I do too). But if going out during the evening time I would always wear long trousers, unless I just go around where I live.

It is all about using common sense and situational
awareness really...

OMGImInPattaya Jan 9, 2021 1:13 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 32952661)
Shorts are fine - as others have said, just be conscious of where you go when wearing what. Temples, offices, etc it’s a no-go. During the day many Thais and non-Thais wear shorts and flip flops when roaming around (go to a supermarket on the weekend and you will see - I do too). But if going out during the evening time I would always wear long trousers, unless I just go around where I live.

It is all about using common sense and situational
awareness really...

Offices...only if you work there, which is the same in most Western countries. Shorts are fine in the evening too, unless going to a 5-Star hotel or fine dining restaurant. A stylish pair of jeans can be worn in place of trousers in the evening.