Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best option for BKK-SFO in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Best option for BKK-SFO in Y?

I have no FF status to leverage. Primary concerns are comfort and time. Due to price constraints (client budget), the max is US$ 900 for the one-way, so it will likely have to be in Economy, not even Premium Econ. If I could get UA MP credit, that would be a bonus, but is definitely secondary to the other criteria.

Given the good connections (1 connection with a layover of about 2 hrs) it seems that CX, HX, and PR are the best options. PR and CX seem to have the most leg room according to Google Flights, but I'm not sure about seat width and other issues. Suggestions?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Look at EVA Airways. You'll get UA MP credit for the flight plus one way in Premium Economy can be had for $980.00 or so, if you wanted to pay a bit out of pocket for the extra comfort.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
What dates? I'm seeing SQ in PY coming in at $863 some days.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
What dates? I'm seeing SQ in PY coming in at $863 some days.
April 25 or 26
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: EVA, SQ, DL, AA, UA...
SQ has the best service, clean restrooms and is the most comfortable due to the 3-3-3 in Y, but you will have to take the 2 hour hop down to SIN. Worth it IMHO.
BR (EVA) used to be my “go to” choice until they went to the 3-4-3 set up in Y, with only a 17” seat width. If you are a thin framed individual, EVA is a great choice with great service, very clean restrooms and comfortable new seats (just narrow). If you can find a good price for their “Elite Class” premium economy it is well worth it.
Another option is NH (ANA). Again narrow, but comfortable seats in Y, great service and clean restrooms. ANA also has the option of flying into SJC (San Jose) if your final destination is in the South Bay, Silicon Valley or Monterey.
All 3 of the above are Star Alliance and can credit to your UA account.
KE (Korean Air) is a comfortable, wide seat in Y, but they run a very warm cabin temperature that has made them a no go for me.
Happy travels!

Last edited by Mendobrew; Apr 9, 2019 at 8:27 pm Reason: add alliance info
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:50 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Check out Google Flights (or Orbitz) which is showing China Southern one way in Premium Economy for $935. But duration and connections might not suit you.

ITA Matrix showing Hong Kong Express for under $600 in economy if low price is your thing. EVA showing under $1,100 for Premium Economy on ITA.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Check out Google Flights (or Orbitz) which is showing China Southern one way in Premium Economy for $935. But duration and connections might not suit you.

ITA Matrix showing Hong Kong Express for under $600 in economy if low price is your thing. EVA showing under $1,100 for Premium Economy on ITA.
Just say no to connections in China @:-)

If it were me, I'd do Premium Economy even if I had to pay $100 out of my own pocket.
Diplomatico and Kalboz like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just say no to connections in China @:-)

If it were me, I'd do Premium Economy even if I had to pay $100 out of my own pocket.
I would pay up to $200-300 out-of-pocket, but that's not an option for my dates, and the cheapest premium econ goes through China. SQ with only one-stop is sold out in economy, and premium econ is > $2k. So I'll probably go with CX in regular economy. At this point, all that's left to optimize around is the flight duration and reputation of the carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.