Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Month-long stay in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Month-long stay in Thailand

In a post-COVID world, I hope to stay in Thailand for at least a month. I suppose a serviced apartment a la Somerset/Ascott is the way to go, but am open to ideas.

Also interested to hear if I should remain in Bangkok for the entire duration. I am an author and hope to work and exercise, eat, etc. in a nice environment conducive to writing.

Thank you!
Old Feb 1, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
for one full month, you can also get better rates at hotels. Hotels have a bit more services available than service apartments.
as for where to stay, it really depends, what you would like to experience in addition to working.
digital nomads like to stay either in beach resorts (Phuket, Ko Samui, Pattaya) or in the north (Chiang Mai; but this not not recommended during "burning season" from Feb - April)
but if you like a lively city with a lot of markets and culture, then Bangkok is the right place
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I would suggest splitting your stay between city and countryside/beach. As I have suggested before to others on here, for the latter I would really encourage looking at Rayong as a destination for quiet beach life. The Marriott there is a good option, and I am sure they can offer good long-stay rates the days.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tons of awesome condos on AirBNB. Condos here are new, fully furnished, with full kitchen, laundry, are well-located, offer gym, pool, etc., but a degree of self-sufficiency is required.

What type of environment do you find best for writing? What do you consider to be a "nice environment"?

Do you require a gym for exercise?

Quiet, remote places will require transportation.

Bangkok is a busy city, OK maybe not so much now, but presumably will get more vibrant post-covid.

I'd wait another year before making any firm plans.

Last edited by transpac; Feb 1, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I would suggest splitting your stay between city and countryside/beach. As I have suggested before to others on here, for the latter I would really encourage looking at Rayong as a destination for quiet beach life. The Marriott there is a good option, and I am sure they can offer good long-stay rates the days.
Will look at this. I think I'd get bored of the beach/resort feel after a week.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Tons of awesome condos on AirBNB. Condos here are new, fully furnished, with full kitchen, laundry, are well-located, offer gym, pool, etc., but a degree of self-sufficiency is required.

What type of environment do you find best for writing? What do you consider to be a "nice environment"?

Do you require a gym for exercise?

Quiet, remote places will require transportation.

Bangkok is a busy city, OK maybe not so much now, but presumably will get more vibrant post-covid.

I'd wait another year before making any firm plans.
Yeah, what are people's thoughts on when Thailand will let tourists in again?

Gym is definitely helpful but not necessary. POOL very important.

I like to go out to shops, markets, cook a little. I did look on Airbnb and there are way too many options; it was very overwhelming and I'm less comfortable with the security side of things with the condos (i.e., personal safety, financial guarantees).
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hairpeace
Yeah, what are people's thoughts on when Thailand will let tourists in again?

I like to go out to shops, markets, cook a little. I did look on Airbnb and there are way too many options; it was very overwhelming and I'm less comfortable with the security side of things with the condos (i.e., personal safety, financial guarantees).

What do you mean by "let tourists in"? Thailand is letting tourists in NOW.

I suspect you mean, as in pre-COVID times (visa exemption, no insurance, no quarantine, etc.)? If so, maybe one year? Maybe never, without say tests, vaccinations, insurance.

I famously predicted that normal entry would be allowed by 1 November 2020. Oops.

I understand both the overwhelming number of AirBNB options, and the personal safety issue. I think an AirBNB condo would be reasonably safe, but it's what you're comfortable with. A serviced apartment may not be more "safe" as a lot of these are buildings with condos. A hotel is probably most secure.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
What do you mean by "let tourists in"? Thailand is letting tourists in NOW.

I suspect you mean, as in pre-COVID times (visa exemption, no insurance, no quarantine, etc.)? If so, maybe one year? Maybe never, without say tests, vaccinations, insurance.

I famously predicted that normal entry would be allowed by 1 November 2020. Oops.

I understand both the overwhelming number of AirBNB options, and the personal safety issue. I think an AirBNB condo would be reasonably safe, but it's what you're comfortable with. A serviced apartment may not be more "safe" as a lot of these are buildings with condos. A hotel is probably most secure.
Thanks!

Drilling down specifically regarding neighborhoods: a friend of mine once leased a shophouse (?) in Chinatown and had a nice stay.

What are some Bangkok neighborhoods I should consider looking at? Silom?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hairpeace
What are some Bangkok neighborhoods I should consider looking at? Silom?
Depends very much on what environment you want, really - and on the budget.

In no particular order personally I would look at:

Lumphini / Pathum Wan - mainly for access to Lumphini Park (the largest green space in the city) and the CBD.
Sathorn - I live around there and while it is nice and quiet on weekends, there are still plenty of restaurants and bars of all levels of cost
Thong Lor - very lively, and favoured by the Japanese community alongside Phrom Phong. Needless to say, there is an abundance of Japanese food (as well as supermarkets) to be found around there.

None of the three areas fall into the cheaper categories though, as they are all leaning towards the expensive end of the spectrum. There are plenty of hotels and services apartment offerings in all three - hope it helps.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:55 pm

Delete

Last edited by SKT-DK; Feb 2, 2021 at 2:08 am
Old Feb 2, 2021, 1:16 am

Lumphini / Pathum Wan - mainly for access to Lumphini Park (the largest green space in the city) and the CBD.
Sathorn - I live around there and while it is nice and quiet on weekends, there are still plenty of restaurants and bars of all levels of cost
Thong Lor - very lively, and favoured by the Japanese community alongside Phrom Phong. Needless to say, there is an abundance of Japanese food (as well as supermarkets) to be found around there.

None of the three areas fall into the cheaper categories though, as they are all leaning towards the expensive end of the spectrum. There are plenty of hotels and services apartment offerings in all three - hope it helps.
you forgot the upper Sukhumvit area, where I lived for more than 15 years. Nowhere in Bangkok you can find such a broad range and variety of good restaurants from cheap eateries until expensive and fany ones. many bars, clubs, nightlife as well and of course shopping centers
the lower Sukhumvit is more for tourists and the upper a favorite residential area among expats
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
you forgot the upper Sukhumvit area, where I lived for more than 15 years. Nowhere in Bangkok you can find such a broad range and variety of good restaurants from cheap eateries until expensive and fany ones. many bars, clubs, nightlife as well and of course shopping centers
the lower Sukhumvit is more for tourists and the upper a favorite residential area among expats
You are of course correct - Though I would personally feel going beyond Ekkamai (Sukhumvit soi 63) would be a bit too far from the centre. That said, Ekkamai is a good shout as well. With regards to lower Sukhumvit, I completely agree - mainly for tourists, and not really worth bothering about.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:13 am

You are of course correct - Though I would personally feel going beyond Ekkamai (Sukhumvit soi 63) would be a bit too far from the centre. That said, Ekkamai is a good shout as well. With regards to lower Sukhumvit, I completely agree - mainly for tourists, and not really worth bothering about.
I meant between Asoke and Ekkamai. I lived first in Soi 24 (which looks nowadays completely different), then Soi 23 and finally in Soi 39 (that one was a very quiet place deep into the Soi)
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Ah, I see. Decent budget - - maybe US$5k a month?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BinSabai
Does this refer to Phrom Phong? I am guesstimating based on what I've just read

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.