Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh for an 18 hour overnight layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh for an 18 hour overnight layover?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by odie11
Another option-if we take the 2:40P Air Asia flight to Siem Reap than that would give us a bit longer in Bangkok. We currently have arrival Dec 31, then Jan 1, 2, 3, all day and departure Jan 4 so we would still have three full days there if we arrive later on Dec 31. Would that make more sense then for traveling through Bangkok? I appreciate everyone's answers. This is our first trip to Asia-we usually do Europe and South America.

And would the Marriott Marquis still be the place to stay?
Check out the Marriott forum, there's a whole thread on Bangkok Marriott properties. The Marquis (Queen's Park) is a very nice hotel. But if you're going to see any of the sights along the river (and I think they're worth seeing if you have time), I'd choose another Marriott. I'd probably recommend the Renaissance or the Courtyard (much nicer than the CY's you're used to in the US). They're both close to the sky train, which will get you to the river and river taxis quickly. The biggest down side of the Marquis, IMO, is the location to tourist attractions.

But again, I encourage you to check out the Marriott forum.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by JBord
Check out the Marriott forum, there's a whole thread on Bangkok Marriott properties. The Marquis (Queen's Park) is a very nice hotel. But if you're going to see any of the sights along the river (and I think they're worth seeing if you have time), I'd choose another Marriott. I'd probably recommend the Renaissance or the Courtyard (much nicer than the CY's you're used to in the US). They're both close to the sky train, which will get you to the river and river taxis quickly. The biggest down side of the Marquis, IMO, is the location to tourist attractions.

But again, I encourage you to check out the Marriott forum.
Thank you. I was planning on checking that forum out next.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
We can't leave Yangon until after our flight lands there ....
Now here's someone who understands how to plan travel!!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think you should forget about doing any daytime-type tourist sights. No, there's nothing around DMK to see. Emquartier Mall is very nice and is reasonably close to Marriott Marquis Queens Park. As is Terminal 21 mall, which isn't quite as upscale.

I don't know how old your daughter is, or her interests, but SeaLife at Siam Paragon Mall is a pretty nice aquarium, and it will be open in the evening. That's not far from the Patpong Night Market, which I haven't been to in a very long time, it may or may not be too sleazy for a young girl as it is close to the Patpong go go bars. But you may be able to visit the night market but avoid the strippers.

The last two times I've flown into DMK, immigration lines haven't been long. One time the taxi line was pretty long (20 minutes). I concur that you'll probably arrive at your hotel at 5 pm at the earliest.

Here's an important tip for flying out of DMK on Thai Air Asia. They generally operate two check in lines. One is a massive line for all departing Air Asia flights that most people will line up in. If you get to DMK two hours or 3 hours before your flight, you stand in that line for quite a while (30-60 minutes) and eventually check in.

But right across from that massive line and main check in desk they have what I will call the "latecomers" line and check in area. It's not particularly well marked, and the whole area is a bit of a clusterf*ck of passengers and activity. A staff member stands there blocking access to that latecomers line/that row of check in desks and holds a barrier/sign that may have flight numbers or destinations displayed on it.

And roughly 90-105 minutes before each flight's departure time, she will add the flight details of that flight to her sign or announce the flight, and when you show her your printout showing your flight leaves in 90-105 minutes, she'll step aside and unhook the rope and let you breeze right through that very short line and you'll be checking in at the latecomers check in desk within 5-10 minutes.

You don't want to arrive at DMK for an Air Asia flight 2.5 to 3 hours before your flight. You want to arrive 90 - 105 minutes before your flight, hit the latecomers line, check in with virtually no waiting.

There will also be a separate huge Air Asia line for charter flights, don't get anywhere near that one either.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jphripjah
... Siam Paragon Mall ... not far from the Patpong Night Market, ....
Depends, of course, on one's definition of "far" and one's physical condition, as well. I would say that it's much further than most FTers would be interested in walking.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Depends, of course, on one's definition of "far" and one's physical condition, as well. I would say that it's much further than most FTers would be interested in walking.
I agree, I did not suggest walking, it's over 2 km. It's two stops on the BTS or a short taxi ride.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:02 am

I vote Bangkok, just because you probably won't need a visa like you might in Vietnam.

I have no clue where any of the Marriott hotels are located, but I vote for
12/30 RGN-DMK 12:55P-2:45P
12/31 DMK-REP 2:50P-3:50P
That's 24 hours

You could always fly out of BKK on Thai Smile at 6:40PM
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I vote Bangkok, just because you probably won't need a visa like you might in Vietnam.

I have no clue where any of the Marriott hotels are located, but I vote for
12/30 RGN-DMK 12:55P-2:45P
12/31 DMK-REP 2:50P-3:50P
That's 24 hours

You could always fly out of BKK on Thai Smile at 6:40PM
Thank you for that info. I did not even know of that airline! That certainly makes it a bit more manageable. I take it that it is easier (closer) to fly out of BKK than DMK. We, including daughter who is 16, could explore some of Bangkok and then head over to Siem Reap.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:43 pm

Thank you for that info. I did not even know of that airline! That certainly makes it a bit more manageable. I take it that it is easier (closer) to fly out of BKK than DMK. We, including daughter who is 16, could explore some of Bangkok and then head over to Siem Reap.
DMK is a little closer to the Bangkok city center than BKK. DMK used to be Bangkok's main airport, then they opened BKK in 2006. Now DMK is mostly used by Air Asia and is used for a lot of domestic flights but it also used for some international flights. Make sure you go to the right airport.

I personally don't have a real preference for flying out of one vs the other, there are pros and cons to each. DMK is a little closer and tends to have shorter entry and exit immigration lines lately. However, it's also older, worse facilities, and the terminal is overcrowded with Chinese tour groups.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:34 am

I take it that it is easier (closer) to fly out of BKK than DMK.
It totally depends where you're coming from. BKK has the Airport Rail Link train which is nice. DMK also is served by a train, but I don't really know anything about it. I've always taken a taxi to/from DMK. I usually use BKK because it's near to where I stay in Bangkok.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:52 pm

DMK also is served by a train, but I don't really know anything about it. I've always taken a taxi to/from DMK.
The current train to DMK (until the ARL extension comes online) is not intended as an airport service - it just happens to have a station in the vicinity and does not run through tourist areas. It is slow, infrequent, unreliable, and nearly as decrepit as the trains in Myanmar.
The budget choice for DMK access is the A1 bus connecting to the BTS or MRT at Mo Chit, but not advisable for a family with luggage visiting for the first time.
Then again, 3 people with hardshell luggage will be a very tight fit in a normal Bangkok taxi whose trunk is half-filled by a LPG tank. If flying in and out of DMK, consider storing a few of your bags at the airport overnight (but don't count on it, as during peak holiday season the storage areas can be full).

Departing on Thai Smile from BKK will be a more civilized experience than Air Asia from DMK (which is still better than Thai Lion Air and its single cluster of counters...)
Air Asia's 'Premium Flex' option comes with a separate check-in counter with usually hardly any wait, but is not a good value on shorter flights (~$50 for DMK-REP).
When comparing prices, keep in mind checked bags are not free on Air Asia (~$18/44lbs), unlike Thai Smile.

As for Marriott options, their various executive residences may be a good option for a family, and come with a washer/dryer which could be useful halfway through a trip. They are unattractive from a points earning point of view, if that is a consideration.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:00 pm

Just take a taxi to/from the airport. They're cheap and convenient.

The airport trains don't run terribly often and don't go where you want to go; you'd have to schelp your bags on and off the train and then schlep your bags into a taxi at the end of the train ride anyway.

Just take a public taxi on the ground floor of arrivals terminal. You get a taxi ticket/receipt at the electronic kiosk, go to the parking space indicated, tell the driver your destination, and insist that he use the meter. You pay the metered fare plus the tollway charges plus the 50 baht surcharge departing the airport. It will be 400-500 baht ($13-$16) all in.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monahos
The current train to DMK (until the ARL extension comes online) is not intended as an airport service - it just happens to have a station in the vicinity and does not run through tourist areas. It is slow, infrequent, unreliable, and nearly as decrepit as the trains in Myanmar.
The budget choice for DMK access is the A1 bus connecting to the BTS or MRT at Mo Chit, but not advisable for a family with luggage visiting for the first time.
Then again, 3 people with hardshell luggage will be a very tight fit in a normal Bangkok taxi whose trunk is half-filled by a LPG tank. If flying in and out of DMK, consider storing a few of your bags at the airport overnight (but don't count on it, as during peak holiday season the storage areas can be full).

Departing on Thai Smile from BKK will be a more civilized experience than Air Asia from DMK (which is still better than Thai Lion Air and its single cluster of counters...)
Air Asia's 'Premium Flex' option comes with a separate check-in counter with usually hardly any wait, but is not a good value on shorter flights (~$50 for DMK-REP).
When comparing prices, keep in mind checked bags are not free on Air Asia (~$18/44lbs), unlike Thai Smile.

As for Marriott options, their various executive residences may be a good option for a family, and come with a washer/dryer which could be useful halfway through a trip. They are unattractive from a points earning point of view, if that is a consideration.
Thank you for all of this good information. I certainly appreciate it. We are hoping to be traveling with carryon roller boards. Washer and dryer does sound appealing, but so does a full service. Right now I am a holding a room at the Athenee.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:43 am

Washer and dryer does sound appealing, but so does a full service.
You're only going to be in Bangkok for a few hours, to see a place you've never seen before. Forget the full service hotel, get out and explore!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

You're only going to be in Bangkok for a few hours, to see a place you've never seen before. Forget the full service hotel, get out and explore!
Have every intention on it! I did not realize that the executive apartments have all of the conveniences (i.e. bar) of a regular hotel. We are also planning on using points for the stay so have to go with what is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.