FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Which lounge is best at BKK? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1747555-lounge-best-bkk.html)

gadget Feb 19, 2016 1:07 am

Which lounge is best at BKK?

I'm a Priority Pass member and have access to a bunch of different lounges at Suvarnabhumi airport. All are Louis' Tavern CIP First Class lounges (concourse A, C, F and G) as well as the Oman Air lounge.

Any experiences here?

dknn Feb 19, 2016 10:31 am

Originally Posted by gadget (Post 26209453)
I'm a Priority Pass member and have access to a bunch of different lounges at Suvarnabhumi airport. All are Louis' Tavern CIP First Class lounges (concourse A, C, F and G) as well as the Oman Air lounge.

Any experiences here?

I was in BKK last week and visited a bunch of lounges and found Oman to be the best for Priority Pass members. The Louis Tavern First class lounges are ok and pretty much similar between each other.

gadget Feb 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks for the comment! Appreciated.

LIH Prem Feb 21, 2016 11:26 pm

Oman Air First and Business class lounge at BKK is new to Priority Pass, it was announced in the last update. Nice to have another decent option there. Thanks for confirming it.

-David

michaelpop Mar 9, 2016 6:19 pm

Used the Oman lounge on Sunday as I was on my way from USM onto NRT. Had an 8 hour layover and took the train to explore the city a bit. Checked in for my flight at 5:45 and got to the lounge at 6. Only one there at that time and asked to use the shower. They only have one but that's all I needed.

They had some food out but I didn't partake. Nice booze selection but it was 6am, so. :p

A bit on the small side, but nice decor and a good place to kill some time.

Lostabroad Mar 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Just an FYI - the Louis' Tavern near the CX lounge on the G concourse doesn't have an on-site bathroom. They refer you to the public restrooms out in the concourse. Same with the CX lounge. Louis' Tavern is still better than that closet sized CX one though.

dsquared37 Mar 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Lostabroad (Post 26331598)
Just an FYI - the Louis' Tavern near the CX lounge on the G concourse doesn't have an on-site bathroom. They refer you to the public restrooms out in the concourse. Same with the CX lounge. Louis' Tavern is still better than that closet sized CX one though.

There's been a new CX lounge in operation almost a year now and it's one of the nicer lounges in BKK.

Lostabroad Mar 14, 2016 6:50 pm

I mentioned the G concourse CX lounge as a point of reference. OP asked for Tavern or Qatar, so smart ... reply negated.

dsquared37 Mar 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Lostabroad (Post 26333129)
I mentioned the G concourse CX lounge as a point of reference. OP asked for Tavern or Qatar, so smart ... reply negated.

:rolleyes:

No, you brought up the CX lounge and posted something that was factually incorrect and I refuted it.

... that closet sized CX one though.
If you want to get even further into your post you might want to revisit this as well:

They refer you to the public restrooms out in the concourse. Same with the CX lounge.
Clearly your knowledge of the CX lounge is old.

Brisman33 Mar 21, 2016 10:25 pm

Some of the Louis Tavern Lounges are business class, however I can't see any real difference with the first class ones. The menu is pretty much the same in all of them and they've never been full when I've visited. Outside rest room is usually very close by.

Thanks for the heads up about the Oman Air lounge, I'll give that a try next time.

haolaowai_org Jun 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks for the thread. I might try both with PP :P

gadget Jun 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Just to follow up with my view after the recommendation from dknn:
Agreed, the Oman lounge is very nice indeed. It's quiet, the selection of food and drinks is pretty good, there is a shower. I head to this lounge every time I depart from BKK, if I have time to kill.

onobond Aug 9, 2016 6:11 am

Thanks for updating on Priority Pass lounge possibilities. Will be back in BKK in 2 months, looking forward to check the OmanAir lounge.

I.CRIS Aug 18, 2016 3:54 am

In order not to open a new thread I'll post it here: which of the following lounges would you recommend in BKK ahead of my trip back to Europe with LH?

- Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge: Concourse A, 3rd floor
- Thai Royal Silk Lounge: Concourse C, 3rd floor, near gate C1, right side
- EVA Air Lounge: Concourse F, 3rd floor, near Gate F1
- Thai Royal Silk Lounge: Concourse C, 3rd floor, near gate C1, left side

Thanks a lot.

dsquared37 Aug 18, 2016 4:28 am

Originally Posted by I.CRIS (Post 27081941)
In order not to open a new thread I'll post it here: which of the following lounges would you recommend in BKK ahead of my trip back to Europe with LH?

- Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge: Concourse A, 3rd floor
- Thai Royal Silk Lounge: Concourse C, 3rd floor, near gate C1, right side
- EVA Air Lounge: Concourse F, 3rd floor, near Gate F1
- Thai Royal Silk Lounge: Concourse C, 3rd floor, near gate C1, left side

Thanks a lot.

I've yet to try the EVA lounge (moved over to OW 2 years ago) but of the other 3 the SQ SKL was far superior for food and drink. The drawback is no interior plumbing.

msm2000uk Aug 18, 2016 6:12 am

Worth noting that there will be 3 new lounges coming to BKK.

Two are still in shell condition, while one is being built.

M

dsquared37 Aug 18, 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 27082278)
Worth noting that there will be 3 new lounges coming to BKK.

Two are still in shell condition, while one is being built.

M

And they are?

msm2000uk Aug 18, 2016 11:51 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 27082646)
And they are?

One is another CIP space, while the other 2 are being negotiated at present.

QR have asked for their own space, so that is likely to be one of them.

M

dsquared37 Aug 18, 2016 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 27084049)
One is another CIP space, while the other 2 are being negotiated at present.

QR have asked for their own space, so that is likely to be one of them.

M

Aren't there already 5 CIP lounges? :confused::confused:

Thanks for the information.

msm2000uk Aug 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 27085744)
Aren't there already 5 CIP lounges? :confused::confused:

Thanks for the information.

There are already quite a few, but this one may offer something new.

M

Boraxo Sep 10, 2016 11:11 pm

My recollection is that the Louis Tavern lounge was pretty weak, though admittedly my only experience was at 5am which is not the best time for food.

Fortunately I will be departing at a more civilized hour this time so presumably I will have *G access to the SQ and TG lounges @BKK, though SQ may be a bit of a hike from my TG departure gate...

dsquared37 Sep 11, 2016 1:59 am

I finally entered the Oman Air (Priority Pass) lounge last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. While food was minimal, the biryani was decent enough though, the booze selection, including sparkling, made me not care. :D

Between 1 and 3pm there was no one else there.

lowfareair Oct 21, 2016 10:32 am

I'll be flying Thai in business BKK-CDG, connecting from HAN. The Oman and Eva lounges are closed, leaving me with the Thai Silk lounges, the SQ lounge, and the various CIP lounges. Any preferences between the various options? If I can get a quick neck/shoulder massage at the Thai lounge spa, I'll try for that, but I only have a 2 hour connection so I'm not sure how long the wait will be.

goodeats21 Oct 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 27375795)
I'll be flying Thai in business BKK-CDG, connecting from HAN. The Oman and Eva lounges are closed, leaving me with the Thai Silk lounges, the SQ lounge, and the various CIP lounges. Any preferences between the various options? If I can get a quick neck/shoulder massage at the Thai lounge spa, I'll try for that, but I only have a 2 hour connection so I'm not sure how long the wait will be.

2 hour connection should be plenty of time for a head/neck massage at the spa. The Thai spa is directly across from the main Thai lounge, which is directly accessible after immigration, so avoids a bit of wandering.

I like the food at SQ a bit better than TG, but it is pretty small. If it happens to be close to your gate, it would be a good place to visit.

lowfareair Oct 21, 2016 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 27376579)
2 hour connection should be plenty of time for a head/neck massage at the spa. The Thai spa is directly across from the main Thai lounge, which is directly accessible after immigration, so avoids a bit of wandering.

I like the food at SQ a bit better than TG, but it is pretty small. If it happens to be close to your gate, it would be a good place to visit.

Great, thank you!

Boraxo Oct 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Having recently visited BKK during early-morning hours, I have to say that the SQ lounge was hands down the best *G or Priority Pass lounge I've used at BKK. While it is a bit on the small side, it was fully stocked with fresh, safe-to-eat breakfast items such as hard boiled eggs, packaged yogurt and croissants. ^ The lounge was virtually empty and has excellent wifi too. The only downside is that it is located at the far end of the terminal (behind the A pier) so be sure to budget 20min walking time if your flight departs from the E gates. IMO it was worth the walk to avoid the crappo food in TG lounges.

dsquared37 Oct 21, 2016 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 27376579)

I also like the SQ lounge but there are few if any international flights departing from A concourse (and then only late at night).

In general there are no departures that are close to the SQ lounge.

dsquared37 Oct 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 27377259)
Having recently visited BKK during early-morning hours, I have to say that the SQ lounge was hands down the best *G or Priority Pass lounge I've used at BKK. While it is a bit on the small side, it was fully stocked with fresh, safe-to-eat breakfast items such as hard boiled eggs, packaged yogurt and croissants. ^ The lounge was virtually empty and has excellent wifi too. The only downside is that it is located at the far end of the terminal (behind the A pier) so be sure to budget 20min walking time if your flight departs from the E gates. IMO it was worth the walk to avoid the crappo food in TG lounges.

The biggest downside to the SQ lounge is lack of plumbing. As for the bolded [mine] it is in A concourse.

Also, and I just might walk quickly, I get from A/B/C/D to the D/E/F/G confluence in 12 minutes. I've done it a number of times and it's consistently the same 12 minutes.

msm2000uk Oct 22, 2016 9:42 am

I agree the lack of washrooms is the downside to the SQ lounge, but other than that it's perfectly pleasant.

There is a cooked items menu for breakfast, and the staff are friendly and helpful - plus the WiFi is fairly good.

M

dsquared37 Oct 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 27379362)
I agree the lack of washrooms is the downside to the SQ lounge, but other than that it's perfectly pleasant.

There is a cooked items menu for breakfast, and the staff are friendly and helpful - plus the WiFi is fairly good.

M

And fresh coconuts. :)

msm2000uk Oct 23, 2016 2:25 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 27381006)
And fresh coconuts. :)

Good point - I'd forgotten about those!

M

dsquared37 Oct 23, 2016 2:34 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 27381612)
Good point - I'd forgotten about those!

M

They are also present in the EVA lounge. But the vodka is better in SQ and that's one delicious combination!

tide Oct 25, 2016 6:08 am

Not sure if it has been posted here before but the BR lounge at F gates is open from 7am-3:30am. 2 shower rooms. Ice cream. Food on par or better than TG. Decor reminds me of the Ren BKK

dsquared37 Oct 25, 2016 8:29 am

Originally Posted by tide (Post 27390305)
Not sure if it has been posted here before but the BR lounge at F gates is open from 7am-3:30am. 2 shower rooms. Ice cream. Food on par or better than TG. Decor reminds me of the Ren BKK

:eek::eek:

Not sure what part of the Ren you're referring to but it doesn't remind me anything of the lounge which is wood/browns.

tide Oct 25, 2016 9:56 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 27390837)

Not sure what part of the Ren you're referring to but it doesn't remind me anything of the lounge which is wood/browns.

The reception area of the lounge is dark, steel, glass and mirrors.

tide Oct 29, 2016 9:43 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 27390837)

Having passed through recently again, the BR lounge is devoid of any browns or wood. It is mirrored glass, steel, neon, purple, bright blues, blacks and grays throughout. Hence like the Ren BKK

Likely you've confused the BR lounge with some other lounge.

Food options dinner are Thai and Chinese. They had basil pork rice and Chinese fried rice/chinese sausage with tom yam soup and a clear soup. Ice cream (Swensens) and oreos still intact + desert (some cake or other) in the fridge. They also had the sandwiches, fruits, and sausage puffs similar to the TG lounge.

Best thing is it is not as crowded as TG. Mostly BR pax. They've modified their closing time to 3am, to coincide with the last BR flight.

ftrichard Oct 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Nobody's noted that the Louis Tavern lounges are being refurbished and rebranded as Miracle Lounges. MAS puts you in one of these lounges now (near its usual gate) but I also have access to the other Miracle Lounges and Oman Air lounge with PP and of course the various One World lounges of which the new CX lounge is the best (food and booze options).

The Miracle Lounges appear to offer the same stuff whether labelled business or first class. But none would be the first choice. There is self-service wine (both types) but it can take a while to be replenished and the food offering at them is relatively poor (sandwiches, cakes etc.) compared to the proper food buffet at Oman and the food station at CX.

dsquared37 Oct 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by tide (Post 27408873)
Having passed through recently again, the BR lounge is devoid of any browns or wood. It is mirrored glass, steel, neon, purple, bright blues, blacks and grays throughout. Hence like the Ren BKK

Likely you've confused the BR lounge with some other lounge.

More likely you've confused the meaning of my post. The description of the lounge (browns etc) was that of the Ren and I still fail to see any merits in your comparison because, as you stated, there are no browns etc in the BKK BR lounge.

/shrug

behuman Oct 29, 2016 7:10 pm

SQ > BR >>>>>>>>> TG F (already crap and the others even more)

Talking about *alliance only

dsquared37 Oct 30, 2016 11:08 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 27410413)
SQ > BR >>>>>>>>> TG F (already crap and the others even more)

Talking about *alliance only

I havne't been in TG F in 2 years now, has it fallen that much?