FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1556409-grab-car-service-now-bangkok-uber-sold-grab-se-asia.html)

olisch Jul 2, 2014 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23129127)
Tolls weren't included? But they were billed to your credit card right? Or did you have to pay tolls in cash?

No, everything was paid by cc

greendx Jul 3, 2014 6:48 am

Just got to my hotel. Landed at 1720, placed an order for uber while walking through baggage claim area and the car was outside as I walked out of the terminal. Was in the car at 1746.

Looks like Uber Bangkok is having a 45% off sale right now (all of July?). My total came to 575 from BKK to SGS taking 1 hour and 40 minutes due to horrible traffic. I'm very happy with the uber experience here so far.

LIH Prem Jul 3, 2014 7:09 am

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23136306)
Just got to my hotel. Landed at 1720, placed an order for uber while walking through baggage claim area and the car was outside as I walked out of the terminal. Was in the car at 1746.

Looks like Uber Bangkok is having a 45% off sale right now (all of July?). My total came to 575 from BKK to SGS taking 1 hour and 40 minutes due to horrible traffic. I'm very happy with the uber experience here so far.

where did you meet the car?

-David

greendx Jul 3, 2014 7:40 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 23136407)
where did you meet the car?

-David

I wasn't sure where to meet the car but just ended up coming out of exit B on the arrivals level and was planning on finding the car via his gps location. Ended up seeing him pull up right between gate/meeting point 5 & 6 right as I was walking out.

olisch Jul 3, 2014 8:01 am

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23136306)
Looks like Uber Bangkok is having a 45% off sale right now (all of July?).

Here's the link to the promotion: https://blog.uber.com/rainydaysbkk

And yes, it's until end of july, but doesn't apply for flatrates

โปรโมชั่นอาจใช้ไม่ได้กับราคาเหมาและจะใช้ได้จน กว่า 31 กรกฎาคม 2557

dsquared37 Jul 3, 2014 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23130279)
Hmm looks like they may have lowered the airport rate. Just did a quote from BKK to SGS and it came to 625

AKA 3x the metered rate.

forumpersona999 Jul 3, 2014 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 23140033)
AKA 3x the metered rate.

Yeah but in a Benz or Camry, paid electronically by a credit card of my choosing with a traceable driver. Some would argue it's 3 x the value of a metered taxi.

The original flat rate of 1k was silly when I can get same level of service with AoT for 1100 and no need to wait....

The experimental price drop that is in effect right now is starting to make it quite attractive.

greendx Jul 4, 2014 2:09 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 23140033)
AKA 3x the metered rate.

The way I see it it's the same as why am I paying 4500THB per night in a hotel when I can get one for 1500? :)

Also in my experience my taxi fare from BKK is usually 400-500 (after tolls and tip) for whatever reason. I would never argue over 200 baht with a taxi driver. The only time it's in the 300 range is on the way back to the airport but I've never seen it below 300. But even then my last trip to the airport via taxi almost involved me missing my flight due to driver trying to take me to DMK instead of BKK so those are just some of the reasons I'd gladly pay 1000-1500 for uber.

Dr. HFH Jul 4, 2014 5:52 am

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23141522)
Also in my experience my taxi fare from BKK is usually 400-500 (after tolls and tip) ....

From BKK to where?

greendx Jul 4, 2014 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 23142029)
From BKK to where?

Conrad, Westin, Four Seasons, etc. I don't remember the exact amounts but it's always the same pattern where I'm over paying 150-200THB. I've read the taxi thread but I just rather not get into it with the taxi drivers. I hate overpaying for the principal of it so I've started looking at other options even if it's actually more expensive just for the sake of not starting a vacation angry. Tried taking a hotel car once but that's much more expensive than I am willing to spend. If Uber wasn't an option this time I would have taken a prepaid car from the airport for 1100 or whatever it is.

Dr. HFH Jul 4, 2014 5:31 pm

400-500 to WGS, FS, etc., may well be double what you should be paying. If you've taken the taxi to your hotel and there are hotel staff helping you out of the taxi, no need to "get into it" with the driver. I have faced this problem a number of times.

In order to avoid duplicate posting, please see my previous posts on how to handle this situation, -- Post 1 and Post 2.

FlyerTalker683455 Jul 5, 2014 6:06 am

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23141522)
The way I see it it's the same as why am I paying 4500THB per night in a hotel when I can get one for 1500? :)

Also in my experience my taxi fare from BKK is usually 400-500 (after tolls and tip) for whatever reason. I would never argue over 200 baht with a taxi driver. The only time it's in the 300 range is on the way back to the airport but I've never seen it below 300. But even then my last trip to the airport via taxi almost involved me missing my flight due to driver trying to take me to DMK instead of BKK so those are just some of the reasons I'd gladly pay 1000-1500 for uber.

Some Uber cars are actually hotel limos!

greendx Jul 5, 2014 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 23146578)
Some Uber cars are actually hotel limos!

Yep, that's what I was hoping for but got a new Toyota Camry instead which was nicer than a regular taxi but still couldn't wait to get out of it after sitting in traffic for 1 hour and 40 minutes.

olisch Jul 5, 2014 11:48 am

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23147568)
... but got a new Toyota Camry instead ...

so what, some hotels do have a Toyota Camry as a limousine (e.g. Hilton Sukhumvit)

greendx Jul 5, 2014 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by olisch (Post 23147736)
so what, some hotels do have a Toyota Camry as a limousine (e.g. Hilton Sukhumvit)

Which I'm sure is much cheaper than booking a 7 series or S class. For price paid I was happy with what I got just saying that if I got a luxury car with more leg room in the back I would have been happier :)

LIH Prem Aug 14, 2014 1:45 am

Looks like the flat rates to BKK are now 1,000 Bt, and 3k Bt to Chon Buri/Pattaya

https://www.uber.com/cities/bangkok

lcpteck Oct 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Anybody tried using Uber from BKK airport to the city? I wonder how they're supposed to find you since you can't put any comments on where you will be.

FlyerTalker683455 Oct 13, 2014 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23667674)
Anybody tried using Uber from BKK airport to the city? I wonder how they're supposed to find you since you can't put any comments on where you will be.

they usually wait in the parking lot/garage

you should definitely have a Thai mobile SIM or they won't call you back.

you can see where they are parked on your app...

lastly, if you do get in touch with them they will not speak English (as a general rule), so you might ask someone to assist you with that.

Although, by that time, why not just get in a taxi or AOT car.

lcpteck Oct 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 23670466)
they usually wait in the parking lot/garage

you should definitely have a Thai mobile SIM or they won't call you back.

you can see where they are parked on your app...

lastly, if you do get in touch with them they will not speak English (as a general rule), so you might ask someone to assist you with that.

Although, by that time, why not just get in a taxi or AOT car.

Okay, does AOT take credit cards? Wanted to use CC to earn some points.

forumpersona999 Oct 14, 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 23672701)
Okay, does AOT take credit cards? Wanted to use CC to earn some points.

Yes, absolutely. No surcharge either. Cash or credit card is the same price. Hardly any waiting time. Plenty of counters in arrivals area. Look for blue colored AOT counters.

transpac Oct 14, 2014 6:25 pm

I continue to utilize GrabTaxi quite often, now using it for trips from my home to the airport, and from locations where there are no passing taxis (housing developments). There is a 20 baht fee for this service.

I think they've launched an associated service called GrabCar, but I have not used this service. The option for GrabCar has been integrated into the app.

lcpteck Oct 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by forumpersona999 (Post 23674282)
Yes, absolutely. No surcharge either. Cash or credit card is the same price. Hardly any waiting time. Plenty of counters in arrivals area. Look for blue colored AOT counters.

Thanks, will try it the next time I'm there next year.

shuuy Dec 23, 2014 5:42 am

Do you think an Uber taxi would take me to Hua Hin?

The fare calculator says THB990-1295 for a UberX (4550 for UberBlack)

olisch Dec 23, 2014 11:24 am

Originally Posted by YYCOllie (Post 24041063)

Probably yes, but not for that low money

FlyerTalker683455 Dec 23, 2014 11:25 am

Originally Posted by olisch (Post 24042682)
Probably yes, but not for that low money

I think they will

yosithezet Dec 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by YYCOllie (Post 24041063)

The fare calculator says THB990-1295 for a UberX (4550 for UberBlack)

Prices sound right.

transpac Dec 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Not sure about Uber, UberBlack, UberX but the typical flat-fare rate for Bangkok to Hua- Hin (one way) might start as low as 2,000 THB for a metered taxi, and then go up from there for other options including limo type offerings and even round-trip fares (start at 4,000 THB).

Today's fuel costs (Toyota Vios/E20) would be approximately 900 THB for the one-way trip.

olisch Dec 24, 2014 4:37 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 24044861)
Prices sound right.

If you have phone number or email adress from a driver who just wants to have 1.000 THB for the ride to Hua Hin, please send it to me

I never heard about such a low rate for that trip

lcpteck Mar 3, 2015 10:42 pm

Thinking to use Uber from BKK Airport to the hotel, any suggestions on where's a good place to wait for one. Or it would be too difficult and just get an AOT Limo instead.

Tchiowa Mar 4, 2015 3:03 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 24450723)
Thinking to use Uber from BKK Airport to the hotel, any suggestions on where's a good place to wait for one. Or it would be too difficult and just get an AOT Limo instead.

You used the word "wait". You don't have to wait for a limo. That would be my choice.

lcpteck Mar 4, 2015 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa (Post 24451321)
You used the word "wait". You don't have to wait for a limo. That would be my choice.

Yeah since the airport is so huge I wonder if the driver will know where to find me lol...

washeelers747 Mar 15, 2015 12:39 pm

anyone with tmobile subscription.. any issue with using UBER app at BKK airport? I find Tmobile's roaming 2G/3G to be little too slow.

Prepaid sim could work, but probably easier to catch taxi than wait in line to get sim from DTAC or TrueMove, install sim card, then wait for uber driver.

transpac Mar 15, 2015 7:19 pm

My pre-paid T-Mobile (U.S.) SIM does now roam here in Thailand. For me, AIS is the local roaming partner, but not sure if this is based on my location, or if they are the sole local T-Mo roaming partner.

Arranging a meeting point at the airport is made a bit less challenging given that there are three levels and each level has ten doors which are conveniently labeled #1 through #10, so it easy to specify a level and door #.

Not sure how, or even if, Uber, works at the airport. Given all the transpo mafia types I certainly wouldn't go there as an Uber driver unless I wanted to end up dead.

yosithezet Mar 15, 2015 7:29 pm

Works perfectly fine at the airport. 1000 THB flat rate to the city. There are generally drivers waiting around outside the arrival level doors. Can't comment on T-mobile.

greendx Mar 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Don't remember if I already had tmobile or if I was still using verizon when I was there last summer but I didn't have any issues getting uber to pick me up from the airport.

ETA: I did use my tmobile US phone for uber in France, New Zealand and UAE. While tmobile is a bit sluggish on the unlimited international roaming plan it works just fine for uber.

washeelers747 Mar 15, 2015 9:19 pm

yeah, tmobile coverage was kinda sluggish in BKK (reading twitter, emails, texts re fine, but you can forget about idea of using instagram, facebook, snapchat!).

Anyways, i'll translate arrival level into thai then copy / paste into text for driver. Hopefully my 0800ish arrival won't be an issue, and would like to leverage uber/starwoods partnership :)

transpac Mar 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Oh right, you need mobile data for the Uber app. I was thinking you just needed to ring the waiting driver. I've never used T-Mo here for mobile data, but you should be able to get 3G service although it might be expensive?

https://www.uber.com/cities/bangkok

Arrivals is on level 2, this is the level you exit from Arriving Immigration/Baggage Claim/Customs. You have to head to the right to get to the area where the waiting public has access.

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/99...ational-flight

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/12...n-the-terminal

lcpteck Mar 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by washeelers747 (Post 24513042)
..would like to leverage uber/starwoods partnership :)

Same here! ^

lovtofly3 Mar 16, 2015 1:32 am

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 24512647)
My pre-paid T-Mobile (U.S.) SIM does now roam here in Thailand. For me, AIS is the local roaming partner, but not sure if this is based on my location, or if they are the sole local T-Mo roaming partner.

My post paid T-Mobile (USA),uses DTAC 95% of the time here in central Bangkok,but varies betwen 3g/4g and very sluggish depending upon time of day,should work for UBER easily though.

yosithezet Mar 16, 2015 11:29 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747 (Post 24513042)
Anyways, i'll translate arrival level into thai then copy / paste into text for driver.

That would be silly. He will speak English.