Wiki Posts
Search

Chaing Mai or Rai for a stay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Chaing Mai or Rai for a stay

I have about three days to spend in either city. I am traveling alone. Not a big pool or beach person, prefer to see local culture. Not a shopper either. Which city and why would you recommend?

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hertz Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I have about three days to spend in either city. I am traveling alone. Not a big pool or beach person, prefer to see local culture. Not a shopper either. Which city and why would you recommend?

Thanks
Stay in Chiang Rai and visit Chiang Mai. Find tours that will drive you up the hills and you can see the "fog sea".

No beaches so you don't need to worry. Chaing Mai is a smaller congested version of BKK.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:35 am

Forgot to mention that northern Thailand is known for silver goods production and wood. You'll see many of these crafts up there. Avoid the major night bazaars where you're going to be fleeced. Enjoy the food!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by urbanblacksheep
Stay in Chiang Rai and visit Chiang Mai. Find tours that will drive you up the hills and you can see the "fog sea". No beaches so you don't need to worry. Chaing Mai is a smaller congested version of BKK.
That's a rather pessimistic and, I suspect, minority opinion. Chiang Rai is a standard-issue Thai country town with the usual smattering of temples, markets and such; not unpleasant, but not particularly exciting, and pretty far from an oasis of sylvan charm. Chiang Mai is Thailand's 2nd largest city, so it's got a much better range of hotels, restaurants, markets etc, and as the former capital of the Lanna kingdom, it has larger and more interesting temples, its own cuisine, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jpatokal
That's a rather pessimistic and, I suspect, minority opinion. Chiang Rai is a standard-issue Thai country town with the usual smattering of temples, markets and such; not unpleasant, but not particularly exciting, and pretty far from an oasis of sylvan charm. Chiang Mai is Thailand's 2nd largest city, so it's got a much better range of hotels, restaurants, markets etc, and as the former capital of the Lanna kingdom, it has larger and more interesting temples, its own cuisine, etc.
^

And fine times outside of the tourist hordes as well.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Chiang Mai has much more to offer than Chiang Rai. For a three day stay, I'd recommend Chiang Mai for sure. Thanks to the large number of tourists, it's also more affordable if you want to do day trips in the area.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Agreed.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:29 pm

Well, without being disrespectful, maybe it's because I'm Thai. I also assumed the OP probably wanted to just see the local culture, so I advised not to stay in Chaing Mai because it's like a smaller BKK. My friends and family rarely go to Chaing Mai unless they have family there or it's for work.

By the way, OP might want to check out Lam Pang. Kampang Phet is also full of old ruins, waterfalls, temples.

But yes, Chiang Mail is a must see for sure!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:43 pm

Stay in Chiang Rai and travel Chiang Mai, is good , but if you stay for 3 day , for sure, should to stay on Chiang mai.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:36 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
My advice, DON'T do both. That would be a waste of 3 days. Pick one or the other.

If you are comfortable in the foreigness, without much tourist infrastructure outside of hotel wifi and fast food, Chiang Rai will suit you fine.

But if you like a bit more familiarity, and typical tourist amenities, such as English use, and services set up for tourists, Chiang Mai is a true tourist city, that has still retained its own charm.

For sure, they are very different from each other.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I prefer Chiang Mai over Chiang Rai. As I recall, it's about a 3-hour ride between them, on very curvy roads. So I'd also just choose one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.