Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DirtyDan
Moderator Note: this wiki contains a summary of the most frequent recommendations made in this thread, by active FlyerTalkers, based on personal experiences. Listed businesses are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk. Advertising is prohibited, and FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced. All spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

At-a-Glance Guide to FlyerTalkers' Favorite Bangkok Tailor Shops

Introduction

Appointments are strongly recommended for all tailor shops. Reputable shops are busy, and may find it difficult if not impossible to accommodate walk-ins, especially if they are first-time customers.

Detailed information about prices, quality, turnaround, etc., can be found within the thread or on the tailors' websites. Please feel free to post questions in the thread if you'd like specific feedback from other FlyerTalkers.

Shops Most Frequently Discussed in the Thread

Key: women's tailoring services available
Key: authentic luxury-brand fabrics, specialized workmanship, and/or more expensive overall, turnaround may be longer
Key: offers Thai or Asian styles as well as traditional western styles

Raja's Fashions
Tel +66 2 253 8379 or +66 2 253 8389 (Raja and Bobby, proprietors - father and son)
Area: Sukhumvit/Nana

Tailor on Ten
Tel +66 84 877 1543 (Alex or Ben, proprietors)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Tramp (no website) ♀ ♢♢
Tel +66 2 630-6649 or +66 89 816-6143 (Mr Kyi, proprietor - pronounced Kee)
Area: River/Bangrak

Rajawongse Clothier
Tel +66 xxx (Jesse or Victor, proprietors - father and son)

Universal Tailors ♀ ♢
Tel +66 816112313 (Mr RONNIE, proprietor)
Area: Silom Soi 18

Pinky Tailor ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Mr Pinky, proprietor)
Area: Ploenchit/Wireless

July Tailor ♢♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Sompop, proprietor)
Area: Silom/Saladaeng

Hermann Suits
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)
Area: Sukhumvit/Asoke

Narin Couture ♀ ♢
Tel +66 xxx (Khun Narin, proprietor)

Cotton House (no website) ♀♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor) - specifically for women's clothing
Area: River/Bangkrak

New International Boutique House (aka Nick's) ♀
Tel +66 xxx (xxx, proprietor)

Tanika Tailor ♀ ♢ ☺
Tel +66 (0) 2 229 4416
Area: Sukhumvit & Silom

Other Shops Mentioned in this Thread

• Milan or Inter-Milan
  • Mr Song or A. Song Tailor
  • Tanika
  • Art's
  • Crown
  • Lucky Man Fashions
  • Max's
  • Moon River
  • Nickerman's
  • Alex Fashions
  • Euro Boutique
  • James Fashions
  • Majestic Tailors
  • Versace's
  • World Group
  • Embassy Tailor

Last edit (DD): Removed ♀ from ToT - confirmed with shop.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are encouraged to update or add missing info to this wiki.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Tailors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Bangkok Tailors

I'm in BKK now and going in to Rajawongse Clothiers to get about 3 suits made and about 3 trousers and about 5 shirts. I'm not suit savy whatsoever but don't want to spend more than $300 per suit. All I know is I want American style vent in the back, single breasted, 2 buttons, no pleats (flat front), worsted wool, and greater than super 110s i read is wiser to go with. That is pretty much all I know to request. Do you have any other tips on getting my first suits? If it helps I will look to land a job in investment banking or something similar when I return to the states.

Is there a certain amount of buttons to get on a shirt? Are cuff links standard? U read something about requesting some typ of inside lining in the suit. Any other tips so I don't screw up my first tailored suits?

Thanks very much
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: CO, US, AA
Awesome. I have only gotten custom suits in PEK, but the sense I get from friends is that the workmanship in BKK is a little better. My big regret is that I didn't get more shirts!
Here's an adaptation of suit buying tips I've sent to others traveling to PEK:

Suits:
Ask for "working buttons" on the cuffs of your jacket - it's one mark of a custom or higher end suit.

Shirts: Their default is to build in the collar stays (at least in PEK), but they'll make them with slots for those removable plastic stays that are more common on our dress shirts, if you'd like. For cufflinks, they will do whatever you'd like, french cuffs (for cufflinks) or button. Personally, I wouldn't get more than a couple shirts with cufflinks - generally, cufflink shirts should be worn under a jacket, and there are lots of settings where they may be too formal.

Bargaining (don't really know how this works in BKK, this was my China advice): Just start bargaining far below your price goals, smile a lot and be nice as well as tough, and walk away if you need to. They also want to get you out of the shop as quickly as possible after you've paid. So: -Take pictures of what you've ordered, and write it on your receipt (since their notes will be in Chinese)

-Be nitpicky at your refitting, and when you pickup. Even if you don't try on everything, which you should, open and inspect everything. When you find loose or missing buttons or seams, they can fix them in a couple of minutes.

Lining: I'm not totally sure about this one. But it may help to tell them what type of climate you live in/what seasons you plan on wearing the suit. That will also help with picking the fabric.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:01 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I've bought a couple of suits from Rajawongse and about 70 shirts or so. For the shirts, I usually give them a shirt to copy and then pick out the fabric I want. The shirts they make are not prewashed, so over time I have noticed that they shrink a bit, so sometimes I have them make the sleeves 1/2 inch longer, etc. My advice on shirts is get a couple before you decide to get a lot done...there is a learning curve on what colors you pick and types of fabric.

For the suit, definitely know what style you want...try to have in mind an idea of what colors, pinstripes, etc. you are interested in before you go. Other than what you said, think about things like how do you like the trousers, pleated, skinny legs, etc. and for the jacket, think about the length of the jacket, I think the suits i got from their were a little long, don't know if that is their default. Also, it's a great idea to get 2 pairs of trousers per suit, I can't remember if that is standard or not.

It's a nice tailor and Jesse and Victor are friendly. They will just tell you the price, they have so much business they don't really bargain, not that you aren't allowed to try! Good luck!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Powers106
Also, it's a great idea to get 2 pairs of trousers per suit, I can't remember if that is standard or not.

This is a must. The pants will wear out long before the jacket. You might even one pair cuffed, one not, depending on the suit you are buying.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:13 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please follow this thread as it is moved to the Thailand forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:53 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
You may want to check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...k-tailors.html
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by longleaf
I'm in BKK now and going in to Rajawongse Clothiers to get about 3 suits made and about 3 trousers and about 5 shirts. I'm not suit savy whatsoever but don't want to spend more than $300 per suit. All I know is I want American style vent in the back, single breasted, 2 buttons, no pleats (flat front), worsted wool, and greater than super 110s i read is wiser to go with. That is pretty much all I know to request. Do you have any other tips on getting my first suits? If it helps I will look to land a job in investment banking or something similar when I return to the states.

Is there a certain amount of buttons to get on a shirt? Are cuff links standard? U read something about requesting some typ of inside lining in the suit. Any other tips so I don't screw up my first tailored suits?

Thanks very much
I've had my suits and shirts made for decades, started going to Rajawongse about four years ago, and am very pleased with their work. Some random thoughts....

You won't be doing any bargaining. The price is the price. I have found it quite fair in terms of quality for price. Victor will be sitting close to the front of the shop when you enter, Jesse (his father) will likely be at the desk in the back. Victor will do the initial measuring and assist with ordering, Jesse will do the fittings. They're both very nice.

You seem pretty concerned about the fabric quality. Every fabric which is available will be in racks on the walls. Victor can tell you about them, then just select the ones you like. I believe that they are nearly all 50/50 wool/cashmere blends, very comfortable. (Yes, I'm aware that cashmere is merely a particular type of wool. You know what I mean.) For investment banking and the like, you'll want to look at very conservative fabrics and cut. Dark solids, blue, gray and black. Nothing wrong with brown, but it isn't terribly popular in that crowd and few people in that world wear it, at least at entry level. Maybe some very muted stripes, certainly no chalk stripes. Linings are one of the fun parts of custom suits. Victor will have a number of linings from which to choose, I always try to go very colorful!!

I'm aware that many people do the two pair of trousers thing. Personally, I've never had a pair wear out and don't see the need for a second pair. I recommend cuffs, makes for a nice, finished look.

Shirts? Rajawongse uses oxford cloth shirtings, not my favorite. I prefer broadcloth, using Egyptian or Sea Island cotton. That said, I've had them make shirts for me and I love the way they fit. For your purposes, the oxford materials they have (and they have many) will be just fine. No particular number of buttons, just order the shirts and the buttons will work out fine. For both interviews and daily work attire, stay away from French cuffs. Some people consider them pretentious, and for entry level, I suggest that it's not the image you're trying to present.

You didn't mention ties. They'll be on a rack near the front of the store. Since the rest of your outfit will be very conservative, take a little liberty with the ties. They have some great ones.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Oct 11, 2010 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You didn't mention ties. They'll be on a rack near the front of the store. Since the rest of your outfit will be very conservative, take a little liberty with the ties. They have some great ones.
I'll chime in here to say that I was unimpressed with their tie selection. They didn't seem substantially different from the ones you can get for 99 Baht at Chatachuk. I recommend the Jim Thompson store for ties. If you want the latest and greatest JT Ties you can either go to the JT house store, or to the store at Siam Paragon. Or - if you're cheap like me - on the day you visit Jesse and Victor, keep riding the BTS all the way to the end of the Sukhumvit line, walk about another 10 Sois, make a left and go to the Jim Thompson factory outlet store. I got a tie there that I liked better than any one in the stores, and I only paid 600B for it, rather than the 1800 or whatever they wanted at Siam Paragon.

Locations to all of these stores are on the Jim Thompson website - and DON'T believe anyone who tells you while you are walking there that "Jim Thompson is closed today" - They're lying. If you go to the store during the hours listed on the website, they're open.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:29 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by 419er
Or - if you're cheap like me - on the day you visit Jesse and Victor, keep riding the BTS all the way to the end of the Sukhumvit line, walk about another 10 Sois, make a left and go to the Jim Thompson factory outlet store.
Ummm....which end?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by 419er
I'll chime in here to say that I was unimpressed with their tie selection. They didn't seem substantially different from the ones you can get for 99 Baht at Chatachuk. .
That could be really true, I didn't buy any but I thought they had a nice selection. I would LIKE to believe they are better at about 500 baht, but you might be right. They make good gifts.....people love the story more than "I bought it at chatuchak".

This idea about the Jim Thompson ties is valid if you have time....

The comment about the shirt materials at Rajawongsee if pretty valid too, though they seem to have 4 types of shirt materials....thin, thick, one-sided print, and some sort of polyester blend. They all tend to shrink...

Nice store, very friendly, just not the super bargain you think you are getting when you are there...maybe that applies to all tailor shops. After the experiences, I buy all my suits in the USA or France from big department stores...the quality is better, IMHO. Shirts, however, tailors are a good option for copies...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Ummm....which end?
Sorry - it made perfect sense in my mind. I believe it was all the way to On Nut. The address, from the website, is: 153 Soi Sukhumvit 93.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:00 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I'm in BKK now and going in to Rajawongse Clothiers to get about 3 suits made and about 3 trousers and about 5 shirts. I'm not suit savy whatsoever but don't want to spend more than $300 per suit.
Do you have any other tips on getting my first suits? If it helps I will look to land a job in investment banking or something similar when I return to the states.
You want a job in investment banking and you're thinking of buying a cheap suit in Thailand from Rajawongse? I'm shaking my head in bewilderment. But then again I guess for someone who doesn't know any better and wants advice, you did the right thing in getting opinions before taking action. My advice is to totally forget any tailior in Thailand. There's no good deals to be had. Any cheap suits will be exactly that - cheap. They'll either look horrible, not be cut the way you want and/or not last very long. Of course if you've never bought a suit before and don't know well about how a well-tailored suit should look and last, then you'll probably be satisfied out of ignorance. Based on my experience there's about a zero percent chance of someone inexperienced in suits going to one of these tailors in Bangkok and being able to get something suitable for wearing to a job in investment banking. Then again you don't want to spend over $300, so you don't really have any good options.

I know lots of people swear by their favorite tailor in Thailand. I'm sorry, but I simply cannot agree that there's any quality in ANY of the typical tailors the tourists go to, including Rajawongse, and if you go to one who does have some quality it'll cost you much much more and won't be constructed as well as a custom made suit from a reputable tailor in the west. If looking to have a suit custom made in Asia, I'd only be looking at Hong Kong myself.

I suppose though if you really can't spend the money for a decent suit and just need one for some job interviews, and your age/resume reflects that you're an entry level, then go for it. Just be prepared to replace that suit soon though after you land your job.

If you want some good advice about clothes and tailoring, this isn't really the place to be asking. I'd suggest the Ask Andy forums or something similar:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/index.php

Given the subject matter of this forum, you have no way of qualifying anyone's opinions of clothes. Some may know what they're talking about but 95% are no better than asking a random man on the street. Seek out advice from people who know their stuff.

Last edited by A_Lee; Oct 12, 2010 at 2:05 am
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by A_Lee
Given the subject matter of this forum, you have no way of qualifying anyone's opinions of clothes.
Including you, correct?

Last edited by 419er; Oct 12, 2010 at 7:18 am Reason: missing comma
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:53 am
Original Poster

It is an entry level position and I haven't got the job yet so I can't be spending $1,000 on each suit just yet. I chose Rajawongse based on favorable Internet research. It's either spend $300 a suit for a tailored one in BKK or an off the rack couple of suits from a suit store in the US. I figured Thailand would be my best option. I did notice from some other suit shops in bkk that the fabrics looked a little dirty or worn out if u will, not a very good finish, but then again I'm no expert. I hear Rajawongse is one of the more reputable tailors in bkk so I suppose I thought there would be less of a chance of me getting swindled by them then one of the other thousand random suit shops in bkk. I will have to rely somewhat on their advice sine i am somewhat of a suit rookie. Would I be better off buying off the rack from a place like Macy's? A thousand bucks is kinda a lot of money for me right now to be spending on suits so I want to be sure to get it right the first time.

Originally Posted by A_Lee
You want a job in investment banking and you're thinking of buying a cheap suit in Thailand from Rajawongse? I'm shaking my head in bewilderment. But then again I guess for someone who doesn't know any better and wants advice, you did the right thing in getting opinions before taking action. My advice is to totally forget any tailior in Thailand. There's no good deals to be had. Any cheap suits will be exactly that - cheap. They'll either look horrible, not be cut the way you want and/or not last very long. Of course if you've never bought a suit before and don't know well about how a well-tailored suit should look and last, then you'll probably be satisfied out of ignorance. Based on my experience there's about a zero percent chance of someone inexperienced in suits going to one of these tailors in Bangkok and being able to get something suitable for wearing to a job in investment banking. Then again you don't want to spend over $300, so you don't really have any good options.

I know lots of people swear by their favorite tailor in Thailand. I'm sorry, but I simply cannot agree that there's any quality in ANY of the typical tailors the tourists go to, including Rajawongse, and if you go to one who does have some quality it'll cost you much much more and won't be constructed as well as a custom made suit from a reputable tailor in the west. If looking to have a suit custom made in Asia, I'd only be looking at Hong Kong myself.

I suppose though if you really can't spend the money for a decent suit and just need one for some job interviews, and your age/resume reflects that you're an entry level, then go for it. Just be prepared to replace that suit soon though after you land your job.

If you want some good advice about clothes and tailoring, this isn't really the place to be asking. I'd suggest the Ask Andy forums or something similar:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/index.php

Given the subject matter of this forum, you have no way of qualifying anyone's opinions of clothes. Some may know what they're talking about but 95% are no better than asking a random man on the street. Seek out advice from people who know their stuff.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:29 am

I chose Rajawongse based on favorable Internet research.
One thing you are going to find on the Internet is, obviously, a lot of diverse opinions. Let's summarize what you have about Rajawongse to date. Dozens of Flyertalkers recommending them. Hundreds of people on Tripadvisor recommending them, making them the 2nd highest rated attraction in Bangkok (out of 296). And one user in this forum who looks down his nose at Asian tailors. I think you have done all the research you need.

Get yourself a great suit - get a few extra shirts - at $30 a pop you can't go wrong - and good luck on your interview! Send me a PM to let me know how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.