Wiki Posts
Search

TG or CX to TYO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation TG or CX to TYO

hello thaiair flyers

I am planning to travel to Tokyo roundtrip (4apr-14apr) and I have two options; via Bangkok on Thai or via Hongkong on Cathay pacific .

I have open ticket so which route has less load and more chance for me to board and which airline is more helping for open tickets ?

As I see cathay pacific has 5-6 flights but my airline leave hong kong every 2 days once , thai has 3 flights and my airline leave bangkok every day but some told me that thai planes on those days are already full?

please tell me what you think
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by datadata
hello thaiair flyers

I am planning to travel to Tokyo roundtrip (4apr-14apr) and I have two options; via Bangkok on Thai or via Hongkong on Cathay pacific .

I have open ticket so which route has less load and more chance for me to board and which airline is more helping for open tickets ?

As I see cathay pacific has 5-6 flights but my airline leave hong kong every 2 days once , thai has 3 flights and my airline leave bangkok every day but some told me that thai planes on those days are already full?

please tell me what you think
Sorry if it wasnt clear but it doesnt matter but I am talking about staff tickets = free = subject to load

so I just would like to know which route has planes leaving with unused seats ??
Old Mar 20, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I assume that you talk about Y.
Let me just venture some semi-useless comments.
As you probably know, the japanese often travel in big groups. So it all depends on whether there are reasons for many groups to travel on that day, but hard to guess. I have seen some very full flights HKG-NRT on CX, in Y and C. Certainly, you should avoid Golden week.
Japanese tourists have drastically reduce their travel to Thailand following the BKK airport hijack and the news of all the demonstrations. So that would mean that the loads on TG would be light. But I think that TG has reduced the number of flights to NRT. Still, unless Japanese toruists come back to Thailand, loads should be lower than to HKG.
HKG is closer to NRT so flights have a shorter duration.
You can get an idea of current load on flights by looking at websites such as Expertflyer or Seatcounter.com.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I assume that you talk about Y.
Let me just venture some semi-useless comments.
As you probably know, the japanese often travel in big groups. So it all depends on whether there are reasons for many groups to travel on that day, but hard to guess. I have seen some very full flights HKG-NRT on CX, in Y and C. Certainly, you should avoid Golden week.
Japanese tourists have drastically reduce their travel to Thailand following the BKK airport hijack and the news of all the demonstrations. So that would mean that the loads on TG would be light. But I think that TG has reduced the number of flights to NRT. Still, unless Japanese toruists come back to Thailand, loads should be lower than to HKG.
HKG is closer to NRT so flights have a shorter duration.
You can get an idea of current load on flights by looking at websites such as Expertflyer or Seatcounter.com.

Thank you brunos for taking the time to help me

I learned today using sites like seatcounter, seat load status on other airlines is considered here lik seeing the future, I asked staff and RTA staff and agents and none had access to it, TG claimed that their system is offline for days no way !!

seatcounter seems accurate enough for me thus I don't know how

-airline like CX have many flights nearly empty on 1apr and full on 5apr that doesnt seem correct.
-or how 20 flights leaving bkk to nrt on 2apr have results like either 0 or 4 , no 2s or 3s or 5s or 6s or 7s or 8s or 9s , just 0s and 4s

everybody I know advised me to go to bangkok because they never use HKG and because everything is slowing down but as you said they also reduced flights number and anyway they seem full compared to CX , some days CX has 3 full flights but there are also another 3 nearly empty.

If I have to stay for a night, I preffer to stay in Bangkok but 3 flights only with 16h between , that could delay my connection a lot if they were full.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi datadata, if you are flying sub load I would prefer to do it out of HKG, interesting that you are choosing two airlines CX and TG, I would pick the departure point on the basis of what time I arrived in that port eg if I have a 6am arrival in HKG, then that is the port. I always wanted an all day chance. Check your public holidays in both places, regards, brings back memories, bkkrop
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hi datadata, if you are flying sub load I would prefer to do it out of HKG, interesting that you are choosing two airlines CX and TG, I would pick the departure point on the basis of what time I arrived in that port eg if I have a 6am arrival in HKG, then that is the port. I always wanted an all day chance. Check your public holidays in both places, regards, brings back memories, bkkrop
thanks BKKROP for the help

I chose those two airlines because of lack of info provided to me by my company (no zed web access, no number of seats, limited answers, no updated info) , in my company if you know and you are correct they will do it for you (like saying book me UA, its good, if you know its good) but if you ask and they give the same answers, what can you do ?

And because this is their HQ so they have more flights than other countries, I wanted to fly JL to NRT to make it a fully japanese experiance but JL is code sharing with JO so they told me: we cant book you code shared flights free tickets.

I dont care about getting their soon , I take into consideration since I am on free ticket that I should choose an airline with most empty seats NOT better times, and more flights to try, I think Hong Kong is the choice but the problem is that my airline have direct flights home from HKG like this 11/4 (1) 12/4 (0) 13/4 (0) 14/4 (1) 15/4 (0) 16/4 (1) and I see Hong kong is more expensive than BKK to stay.

Anyway I have to settle for this info as I have no time, by 24h I should choose a ticket choose and book a hotel (harder for me) and apply for visa, ya after all this trouble I could be rejected, I will go for Hong kong and hope it works out
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for help , all of you

I just want to tell you that I am going for CX from Hong Kong, until now the flights status on seatcounter is empty but I have discovered that inspite of being called Direct flight , we are still going to land in bkk for fuel and some pax I guess.

finally this trip is happening , thanks guys for the advice, I will post back what happens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.