FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Is it worth doing a BKK layover from HND to HKG? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1962178-worth-doing-bkk-layover-hnd-hkg.html)

randomasian Mar 23, 2019 6:53 am

Is it worth doing a BKK layover from HND to HKG?

I'm doing a redemption using UA miles and normally I'd fly ANA from Tokyo to Hong Kong but there's no redemption for my preferred date. I could either fly a day later (and pay for the hotel) or fly Thai Airways with a layover in Bangkok on the day I want. I don't mind spending more time in Tokyo but I was wondering what people think about Thai Airways vs. ANA for this route and the lounge options in BKK. The EVA lounge seems awesome but I don't know if it's close to the gates I'll be flying from.

I'll be flying economy class and I have Star Alliance Gold through Asiana and Prioirty Pass Select.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Mar 23, 2019 8:59 am

For economy travel I would take the non-stop flight without question. It's not worth the extra (5+ hours?) just to go via BKK. The lounges are nothing special. The best of the bunch is either EVA or SQ, but even those would not be worth the additional flight time.

BinSabai Mar 23, 2019 9:02 am

it adds a lot of time to your schedule (a 5-6 Hours flight plus a 3 Hours flight instead of a 4 Hours flight only) and all in cattle…
the differences in cattle are not big between ANA and TG; at least you have some choices of lounge in BKK. EVA and SQ are best, then the new TK, followed by TG's in C and E and the worst is TG's in D

Kacee Mar 23, 2019 9:49 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 30920389)
For economy travel I would take the non-stop flight without question.

Totally agree. Especially if you can get on the HND-HKG flight that's operated with a 789, which has 34" pitch in Y.

worldclubber Mar 23, 2019 11:29 am

The *A lounges at BKK are not really worth a detour.

maerim Mar 23, 2019 9:53 pm

If you have never been to Bangkok before and can have a layover to allow you to spend a few hours relaxing in the city then it could be worth going via Bangkok. If you are thinking of this option with one of the reasons to visit a lounge in Bangkok (*A or others) I don't think it is worth it at all.

I have only been on ANA in J or PE on Delhi Narita numerous times and service is excellent.

BinSabai Mar 28, 2019 4:34 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber (Post 30920842)
The *A lounges at BKK are not really worth a detour.

except maybe TG's F and spa (if you have seldom the opportunity to visit)

moondog Mar 28, 2019 6:08 am

Originally Posted by randomasian (Post 30920110)
I'm doing a redemption using UA miles and normally I'd fly ANA from Tokyo to Hong Kong but there's no redemption for my preferred date. I could either fly a day later (and pay for the hotel) or fly Thai Airways with a layover in Bangkok on the day I want. I don't mind spending more time in Tokyo but I was wondering what people think about Thai Airways vs. ANA for this route and the lounge options in BKK. The EVA lounge seems awesome but I don't know if it's close to the gates I'll be flying from.

I'll be flying economy class and I have Star Alliance Gold through Asiana and Prioirty Pass Select.

No.

worldclubber Mar 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 30938441)
except maybe TG's F and spa (if you have seldom the opportunity to visit)

I didn’t like the TF F-lounge too much, not worth a detour for me. Spa is nice, but not a game-changer.

chris63 Mar 28, 2019 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by worldclubber (Post 30940521)

I didn’t like the TF F-lounge too much, not worth a detour for me. Spa is nice, but not a game-changer.

It really is worn out now, in desperate need of a major refurb & those announcements drive one crazy...... of course we’re spoilt by the LX & LH FCL’s ;)

worldclubber Mar 29, 2019 12:48 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 30941485)
It really is worn out now, in desperate need of a major refurb ...

That plus the lackluster service and the (by Thai standards) mediocre food made it a fairly unattractive lounge I wouldn’t make a detour for.

chris63 Mar 29, 2019 2:15 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber (Post 30941766)

That plus the lackluster service and the (by Thai standards) mediocre food made it a fairly unattractive lounge I wouldn’t make a detour for.

Years ago it was a really nice lounge, everything has gone downhill....

worldclubber Mar 29, 2019 2:48 am

Originally Posted by chris63 (Post 30941927)
Years ago it was a really nice lounge, everything has gone downhill....

Guess TG has other things to worry about. :rolleyes:

chris63 Mar 29, 2019 3:31 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber (Post 30941981)
Guess TG has other things to worry about. :rolleyes:

Hemorrhaging cash cannot be helping

Tokyoite Mar 29, 2019 9:04 pm

If you get award space on the direct flight, or via PEK, then go for them.
Going through BKK only has a plus if you are in business class or higher (I frequently do exactly this when in business, HKG-BKK-HND or HND-BKK-HKG, to enjoy the flights).
If flying economy class and have Star Alliance Gold, then it is mini-torture. If you can work in a long (20-24hr) layover, then it is a chance to get into the city, enjoy some Chang/Singha along the river, buy some I heart bangkok tee shirts, and then continue on to Hong Kong.