Is it worth doing a BKK layover from HND to HKG?

Old Mar 23, 19, 6:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 30
Is it worth doing a BKK layover from HND to HKG?

I'm doing a redemption using UA miles and normally I'd fly ANA from Tokyo to Hong Kong but there's no redemption for my preferred date. I could either fly a day later (and pay for the hotel) or fly Thai Airways with a layover in Bangkok on the day I want. I don't mind spending more time in Tokyo but I was wondering what people think about Thai Airways vs. ANA for this route and the lounge options in BKK. The EVA lounge seems awesome but I don't know if it's close to the gates I'll be flying from.

I'll be flying economy class and I have Star Alliance Gold through Asiana and Prioirty Pass Select.
randomasian is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:59 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,540
For economy travel I would take the non-stop flight without question. It's not worth the extra (5+ hours?) just to go via BKK. The lounges are nothing special. The best of the bunch is either EVA or SQ, but even those would not be worth the additional flight time.
worldclubber, RTWFF and chris63 like this.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:02 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
it adds a lot of time to your schedule (a 5-6 Hours flight plus a 3 Hours flight instead of a 4 Hours flight only) and all in cattle…
the differences in cattle are not big between ANA and TG; at least you have some choices of lounge in BKK. EVA and SQ are best, then the new TK, followed by TG's in C and E and the worst is TG's in D
Kacee and worldclubber like this.
BinSabai is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:49 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,443
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
For economy travel I would take the non-stop flight without question.
Totally agree. Especially if you can get on the HND-HKG flight that's operated with a 789, which has 34" pitch in Y.
worldclubber likes this.
Kacee is online now  
Old Mar 23, 19, 11:29 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,077
The *A lounges at BKK are not really worth a detour.
chris63 and BinSabai like this.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Mar 23, 19, 9:53 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: Thai Airways
Posts: 114
If you have never been to Bangkok before and can have a layover to allow you to spend a few hours relaxing in the city then it could be worth going via Bangkok. If you are thinking of this option with one of the reasons to visit a lounge in Bangkok (*A or others) I don't think it is worth it at all.

I have only been on ANA in J or PE on Delhi Narita numerous times and service is excellent.
maerim is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 4:34 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 5,328
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
The *A lounges at BKK are not really worth a detour.
except maybe TG's F and spa (if you have seldom the opportunity to visit)
BinSabai is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 6:08 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,236
Originally Posted by randomasian View Post
I'm doing a redemption using UA miles and normally I'd fly ANA from Tokyo to Hong Kong but there's no redemption for my preferred date. I could either fly a day later (and pay for the hotel) or fly Thai Airways with a layover in Bangkok on the day I want. I don't mind spending more time in Tokyo but I was wondering what people think about Thai Airways vs. ANA for this route and the lounge options in BKK. The EVA lounge seems awesome but I don't know if it's close to the gates I'll be flying from.

I'll be flying economy class and I have Star Alliance Gold through Asiana and Prioirty Pass Select.
No.
moondog is online now  
Old Mar 28, 19, 3:36 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by BinSabai View Post
except maybe TG's F and spa (if you have seldom the opportunity to visit)
I didn’t like the TF F-lounge too much, not worth a detour for me. Spa is nice, but not a game-changer.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Mar 28, 19, 9:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,812
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post


I didn’t like the TF F-lounge too much, not worth a detour for me. Spa is nice, but not a game-changer.
It really is worn out now, in desperate need of a major refurb & those announcements drive one crazy...... of course we’re spoilt by the LX & LH FCL’s
worldclubber likes this.
chris63 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:48 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
It really is worn out now, in desperate need of a major refurb ...
That plus the lackluster service and the (by Thai standards) mediocre food made it a fairly unattractive lounge I wouldn’t make a detour for.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Mar 29, 19, 2:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,812
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post


That plus the lackluster service and the (by Thai standards) mediocre food made it a fairly unattractive lounge I wouldn’t make a detour for.
Years ago it was a really nice lounge, everything has gone downhill....
chris63 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 19, 2:48 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,077
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Years ago it was a really nice lounge, everything has gone downhill....
Guess TG has other things to worry about.
worldclubber is offline  
Old Mar 29, 19, 3:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,812
Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
Guess TG has other things to worry about.
Hemorrhaging cash cannot be helping
chris63 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 19, 9:04 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,561
If you get award space on the direct flight, or via PEK, then go for them.
Going through BKK only has a plus if you are in business class or higher (I frequently do exactly this when in business, HKG-BKK-HND or HND-BKK-HKG, to enjoy the flights).
If flying economy class and have Star Alliance Gold, then it is mini-torture. If you can work in a long (20-24hr) layover, then it is a chance to get into the city, enjoy some Chang/Singha along the river, buy some I heart bangkok tee shirts, and then continue on to Hong Kong.
Tokyoite is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread