Wiki Posts
Search

USM Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
You all appear to be correct - I was under the impression they used the A320's for the HKG & SIN routes, but checking forward that's not the case. I don't keep records of what i'd flown out of USM (apart from ensure I caught a 717 just before they got shelved!) but you're all right looking forward.

In which case I have to question the belief that I had that PG had given TG two daily rotations under the threat TG made to open another airport on USM. Like the long heralded airport in Koh Phangan, i'll just read that as pie in the sky! The BKK-USM flights on TG always hovered around THB5000 o/w - and loads were seemingly great, but maybe the costs of maintaining their last 737-400 stop this being practical.

Mind you Wellington has a 6,827 ft length runway and takes several A320's daily (that i've checked!). All very odd.
A further factor as a WLG local and pilot, USM has only a non-precision approach (DVOR/DME) with a Minimum Descent Altitude of around 1060 feet for Cat C aircraft (ie A320), whereas WLG has a precision approach (ILS/DME) which has a Decision Height of 300 feet for all Cat aircraft.
SQ has been operating the 777-200ER into WLG to/from MEL.
Sam Bee and BinSabai like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Coming in from either India (where I have family) or US, flying TG is just much easier because of the connections where I have to take TG into BKK.
TG codeshares with PG to USM so you can buy a single TG ticket to USM. For some reason, I was not able to reserve this option on TG site but various OTA offer this option.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I gave up on TG into USM some time ago. Schedule just doesn't work. Now I either fly MI via SIN (KF award) or book PG business class via BKK (nice product, including special lounge, wish it was offered on more flights).
Old May 15, 2018, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
A further factor as a WLG local and pilot, USM has only a non-precision approach (DVOR/DME) with a Minimum Descent Altitude of around 1060 feet for Cat C aircraft (ie A320), whereas WLG has a precision approach (ILS/DME) which has a Decision Height of 300 feet for all Cat aircraft.
SQ has been operating the 777-200ER into WLG to/from MEL.
Thanks for the info. There is always more to it than is obvious to the layman ^
Old May 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

I have a strong feeling that PG will never letting go of USM. Some rumors says that this airport is the only thing that keeps PG alive.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by mylabel
I have a strong feeling that PG will never letting go of USM. Some rumors says that this airport is the only thing that keeps PG alive.
Maybe alive but without a pulse. PG is not what it used to be. Old a/c, no interlining on separate tickets, delays, etc.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Surely they were making a killing on these flights?
I guess it depends, too, on how many seats are actually sold BKK-USM as opposed to their own connecting traffic where the flight may have little or no additional cost.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I guess it depends, too, on how many seats are actually sold BKK-USM as opposed to their own connecting traffic where the flight may have little or no additional cost.
I deal with TG contracts - USM was never common rated like CNX/KBV/HKT - always a big chunk more for USM to the point it's cheaper on TG fares to book PG on the TG ticket. Well, the fact that TG288 had terrible connections to Europe (and probably Oz) flights didn't help either. Still, just noticed that I started a similar thread a couple of years ago and they ended up cancelling the cancellation, so it's possible this is just an empty threat to try and get cheaper landing fees / more slots. We'll see.

Also I wonder if this is ever going to happen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Pha-ngan_Airport
Old May 21, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

Also I wonder if this is ever going to happen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Pha-ngan_Airport
Con, excuse me, Kan Air? Seriously?
BinSabai likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Con, excuse me, Kan Air? Seriously?
wannabe copycat of Koh Samui/Bangkok Airways
Old May 21, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BinSabai
wannabe copycat of Koh Samui/Bangkok Airways
Clearly, but a total pipe dream. PG, prior being designated as such, made heaps of money transporting goods during the Vietnam (American) War era. Kan air couldn't even properly function with a couple of aircraft and I'm not even sure they still exist as a functional entity.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Clearly, but a total pipe dream. PG, prior being designated as such, made heaps of money transporting goods during the Vietnam (American) War era. Kan air couldn't even properly function with a couple of aircraft and I'm not even sure they still exist as a functional entity.
sure! I do not think anybody but themselves believe in this project...however such wannabe airlines damage the reputation of Thai aviation
Old May 29, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
We had our Thai flights cancelled and were automatically rebooked PG for the same time.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yb90
We had our Thai flights cancelled and were automatically rebooked PG for the same time.
Were these paid flights or an award?

We have an award in, and another out of USM booked with UA miles. Both records appear to end and begin in BKK now. Did get a call from UA about 1 of the bookings but didn't accept or change anything yet. If we could get TG to pay for PG tickets that would be really helpful.

Edit: TG said no to helping us out with getting to USM since our ticket is UA issued. As expected.

Last edited by Ripper3785; May 30, 2018 at 6:56 pm Reason: added info
Old May 30, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Were these paid flights or an award?

We have an award in, and another out of USM booked with UA miles. Both records appear to end and begin in BKK now. Did get a call from UA about 1 of the bookings but didn't accept or change anything yet. If we could get TG to pay for PG tickets that would be really helpful.
Good luck, but I think you may be out of luck here. PG is not Star Alliance, so I suspect your award booking will only get you as far as BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.