Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG's new 787-9 business class!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Cirrus seat is not coffin-like. Only your feet are in an enclosed space. You must be confusing it with a different seat, such as the Vantage.
even footwell is large! larger then on the seats in 777-300ER, A380 and A350
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
I don't think any TG seats are 'coffin class'. Normally that is used to describe the high walled herringbone seats like on NZ and VS.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
I don't think any TG seats are 'coffin class'. Normally that is used to describe the high walled herringbone seats like on NZ and VS.
the walls are higher on the 787-9 like on the A380, A350 and 777
pretty high!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Just "high-walled" is not enough to be true "coffins", the seats have to be narrow too!

The one and only that fits the definition in every sense of the word is CX's old biz on the A340 and 747s.

Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Video of Thai's787-9 interior cabin

Originally Posted by BinSabai
I had the chance to fly this week on the new 787-9, which is now used on domestic routes to Chiangmai and Phuket
- Overall the cabin look more cramped then A380 and 777-300ER; think walls between compartments are also higher
- seats are very good, with better functionality
- table a bit small but can be stowed away which is more elegant then A380 and 777
- footwell seems larger, but is not symmetric as seat is diagonal to cabin wall
- in middle row seats you get quite close to fellow passenger, but not too close as on the honeymoon seats on A380 and 777
- only normal seat belt and not the 3 point
- a bit more storage room then on A380 and 777 but still not really a lot
- if you like to look out of the window. it's quite difficult as you sit far away from the window (more far away then A and K seats in A380 and 777)
- biggest disadvantage i found the monitor, which is not visible during take off or landing as it has to be retracted to the diagonal wall
To add to BinSabai's excellent summary above, the following videos provide the visual experience. Some have Thai langauge commentary.
Cheers, TK

Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
To add to BinSabai's excellent summary above, the following videos provide the visual experience. Some have Thai langauge commentary.
Cheers, TK
thanks for the compliments!
the first (short) Video shows pretty well what you can expect
the second is pretty long and not every fellow board member understands Thai
the third does not show much from the interior...
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
thanks for the compliments!
the first (short) Video shows pretty well what you can expect
the second is pretty long and not every fellow board member understands Thai
the third does not show much from the interior...
Good to see you follow my logic for ordering of the videos

I did wonder if the 2nd and 3rd were worth adding, but I did anyway in case there were some super enthusiasts.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:41 pm

Lol, the old F seats until about a decade ago on some AA 777 (and earlier on the 767) used to be called “coffins” by AA flyers. They reclined 180 degrees, but had high partitions around them, hence the name.

I don’t like an enclosed “foot well,” but that’s often the case with J cabins. Inverse herringbone, i.e. with window seats angled toward the windows, not away, is my preference. I do not like VS or old CX style inward facing herringbone layouts at all. No privacy, no views out the window, it’s just an awkward way to fly.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 28, 2017 at 5:01 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don’t like an enclosed “foot well” but, that’s often the case with J cabins. Inverse herringbone, i.e. with window seats angled toward the windows, not away, is my preference. I do not like VS or old CX style inward facing herringbone layouts at all. No privacy, no views out the window, it’s just an awkward way to fly.
fully agreed! so you will like those window seats on the new 787-9 as the are towards the window and provide sufficient privacy
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I flew TG's 789 BKK-TPE on Wednesday. Perhaps my standards are too low (my main experience has been flying UA's J product, which is nothing to write home about unless it is their new Polaris seat), but I was very impressed with the plane. Still had the 'new plane' smell, the footwell was plenty fine (not cramped at all, although I'm 5'6", so not the tallest person in the world), and plenty of storage space. The cabin was at least half-empty, if not more - kind of surprising, but no idea what the actual capacity ends up being on this kind of route. Food was great. I also noticed that all the windows were set to be dimmed; it seems like something the FAs control and able to be adjusted individually (like on LO's Dreamliners).

In all, very pleased with the experience - certainly worse ways to fly for 3 hours!
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:39 pm

Hi, guys, which seats are gonna be the best for couple? The 2 middle seats? Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Hi, guys, which seats are gonna be the best for couple? The 2 middle seats? Thanks.
Assuming you mean business class? Then I guess so if you want to be close and able to talk - although the passengers in the 2 centre seats still look quite well separated and you'd have to lean forward a lot..
The window seats all look great for those that want the least chance of being disturbed.

Next month I am flying business sectors on the 789 AKL-BKK-AKL, 77W BKK-HKG-BKK, and 359 BKK-SIN-BKK so will try and take some pics and make a kind of comparison report.
Burning GUP2 and 50% award :-)

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 22, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Assuming you mean business class? Then I guess so if you want to be close and able to talk - although the passengers in the 2 centre seats still look quite well separated and you'd have to lean forward a lot..
The window seats all look great for those that want the least chance of being disturbed.

Next month I am flying business sectors on the 789 AKL-BKK-AKL, 77W BKK-HKG-BKK, and 359 BKK-SIN-BKK so will try and take some pics and make a kind of comparison report.
Burning GUP2 and 50% award :-)
Ya, will be in Business class. Just wondering whether taking 1 window seat and 1 of the middle seat would be better than 2 middle seats for couple.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Ya, will be in Business class. Just wondering whether taking 1 window seat and 1 of the middle seat would be better than 2 middle seats for couple.
well, we are talking about 787-9 as this is the thread about this new airplane. they have herring bone seats, totally different then the staggered on 77W, A380 and A350
so the middle seats are not so close (no so called honeymoon seats like on the staggered seating) but angled towards each other, while the window seat and the adjacent middle seat are angled from each other
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Th...eing_787-9.php
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:56 am

no waaaay! IVe been flying SYDBKKSYD business class for the last few years, and am pretty much sick of paying top price (same as QF or ML) AND THERE ARE NO FLATBEADS! I like being upstairs, which these boeing's have, but I've now coined the term "tired thai" for the less than top quality travel experience. The flights are always full, they need to put these into the SYDBKK route!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.