Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Anything new on TG's relaunch of North America service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anything new on TG's relaunch of North America service?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kittiyut
If SQ struggles with their SIN-EWR route, what chances do TG and their incompetence management have?
Starting a US direct, non-stop service again would be just another "keeping up with the Jones" and will doom to fail.

Unlike Singapore, the majority of pax flying to and from the US are tourist, students, and others that will not or can not afford to pay biz fares. Would it be so wrong to apply the 20-80 principle to aviation?

It would be an art and science to figure out the optimum ratio of Biz/PE/Eco seats for the Thai market. SQ's Biz and all Premium Eco is not working out quite what they had expected. When there's no Eco to differentiate, Premium becomes Non-Premium. And who wants to fly 19-20 hrs in cattle class? I wouldn't even want to be in Biz for that long.
Well a lot of the TIPs who would want this route for their own convenience can and do fly paid F/C....whether they would pay for it on TG or just expect it for free is another story.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:57 am

A United executive once told me that the ultra long hual flights are "fuel tankers." Any thoughts on Thai doing a one-stop through Europe as Singopore does?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BF263533
A United executive once told me that the ultra long hual flights are "fuel tankers." Any thoughts on Thai doing a one-stop through Europe as Singopore does?
who goes from Asia to USA through Europe?
I only did when I had things to do in Europe as well (long stop over), three times on a RTW and once with a return ticket Asia-Euope-USA. If I only had to go to USA, i usually went by the Pacific route, even to East coast.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Example : YYZ-FRA-BKK 9551 miles
YYZ-NRT-BKK 9304 miles

JFK-FRA-BKK 9454 miles
JFK-NRT-BKK 9634 miles
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Example : YYZ-FRA-BKK 9551 miles
YYZ-NRT-BKK 9304 miles

JFK-FRA-BKK 9454 miles
JFK-NRT-BKK 9634 miles
It's more about timing of connections (both ways) and pricing, not about mileage
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:17 pm

I only did when I had things to do in Europe as well (long stop over), three times on a RTW and once with a return ticket Asia-Euope-USA. If I only had to go to USA, i usually went by the Pacific route, even to East coast.
Singapore Airlines operates FRA-JFK and also Manchester to Houston.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Many frequent travelers who live on the US east coast prefer the Europe routing. Even for nonstops from NYC or IAD, the circle route often goes east of the pole so technically counts as a TATL.

And of course SQ25 routes JFK-FRA-SIN.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Many frequent travelers who live on the US east coast prefer the Europe routing. Even for nonstops from NYC or IAD, the circle route often goes east of the pole so technically counts as a TATL.

how much more expensive is it
remember a couple of years ago I had to travel BKK US East Coast more than 10 times a year and evaluated: Pacific route was much cheaper
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:11 am

And Singapore Airlines 51, AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A350-900, does the Houston-Manchester-Singapore like 5 days a week. When I did Thai JFK-BKK nonstop it flew over the Atlantic, Scandinavia, European Russia to BKK. The return flew the Pacific route.

Last edited by BF263533; Dec 28, 2018 at 1:17 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:12 am

To be honest if TG does BKK-VIE-JFK I wouldn’t mind actually. Especially with the existing mileage redeem rate.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by pandalama
To be honest if TG does BKK-VIE-JFK I wouldn’t mind actually. Especially with the existing mileage redeem rate.
Routing BKK-VIE-JFK would be approx 9,495 miles - so nothing 'special' about this using ROP - it'd be right in the middle of Zone 6 (8000-12500) miles for award redemptions. Or do you mean using another FFP?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Flying eastbound gives you the benefit of the trade winds. Certainly the quicker direction to travel from NYC to BKK given a reasonable connection option in Europe or the Middle East.

SL
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
how much more expensive is it
remember a couple of years ago I had to travel BKK US East Coast more than 10 times a year and evaluated: Pacific route was much cheaper
It just depends on the fares that are being offered. I agree the Pacific routing is more common and that's the way most of the fares are published. There are exceptions though . . . every once in a while I'll see a relatively cheap LAX-BKK or LAX-SIN fare on LX via ZRH.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover
Flying eastbound gives you the benefit of the trade winds. Certainly the quicker direction to travel from NYC to BKK given a reasonable connection option in Europe or the Middle East.

SL
sure! to benefit from this you would have to fly RTW...and those tickets have become prohibitively expensive, at least in J
and to find reasonable connections in Europe is not always so easy...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:28 pm

It just depends on the fares that are being offered. I agree the Pacific routing is more common and that's the way most of the fares are published. There are exceptions though . . . every once in a while I'll see a relatively cheap LAX-BKK or LAX-SIN fare on LX via ZRH.
and around which amount would be this "relatively cheap" fare in J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.