FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   THAI staff threaten strike action (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1726668-thai-staff-threaten-strike-action.html)

transpac Nov 23, 2015 5:50 pm

THAI staff threaten strike action

Rumours of a strike on Thursday spread rapidly on social media Monday via groups of staff, prompting urgent attempts by the airline to hose down the reports. "Everyone who is planning to fly on Thursday...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/poli...-strike-action

boogey Nov 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 25762206)

Rumours of a strike on Thursday spread rapidly on social media Monday via groups of staff, prompting urgent attempts by the airline to hose down the reports. "Everyone who is planning to fly on Thursday...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/poli...-strike-action

oh nice. they copy lufthansa.

BinSabai Nov 23, 2015 11:02 pm

another nail in the coffin?

Thaikwai Nov 24, 2015 9:34 am

I sincerely hope its only a rumour as I am on TG433 at 8:20am Thursday. I usually get to the airport around 7:15am for this flight and this is way early enough for me as I am definitely NOT a morning person......no way am I getting to the airport "very early" on Thursday.

spk Nov 24, 2015 10:35 am

This seems to be false report. The reporter picked up a rumor from one of the chatter in social media sites and trumped up the headline.

transpac Nov 24, 2015 7:57 pm

In this article, Junta Supremo Prayut says that...

Responding to a report that some staff members of the airline would stage a strike on Thursday, the prime minister said the staff would not strike but merely wanted to submit a letter to the management.

He added that a strike would be pointless as the management was trying to solve the financial problem.

PM blames previous governments for THAI’s financial woes

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has blamed previous governments for doing nothing to address the chronic financial problem in Thai Airways International, the national flag carrier.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-...financial-woes

I think it's safe to assume that the ruling Military dictatorship would not allow a strike. They've granted themselves unlimited powers, via Article 44, so they could just arrest/disappear a few union leaders to bring everyone back into line.

I guess I'd be worried more about a slowdown or work to rule type action? But management has guaranteed no salary reductions for lower level employees so that may stifle any labor actions.

BinSabai Nov 25, 2015 1:18 am

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 25768249)
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has blamed previous governments for doing nothing to address the chronic financial problem in Thai Airways International, the national flag carrier.

the former government is to be blamed that they sacked the capable Piyasvasti Amranand as the president of TG!

Noppasit Nov 25, 2015 2:04 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 25769081)
the former government is to be blamed that they sacked the capable Piyasvasti Amranand as the president of TG!

You are right!!

SSBKK Nov 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Noppasit (Post 25769172)
You are right!!

+1

BinSabai Nov 25, 2015 11:36 pm

so did they strike this morning or was there anything different then usual?

transpac Nov 25, 2015 11:39 pm

Nothing in the local news, TV; haven't seen anything on Twitter.

Business (cough, ahem) as usual at Thai Airways.

transpac Nov 25, 2015 11:47 pm

Well, the Board of Directors sacked him, and while that arguably could be considered "politically influenced" - the TG board is almost always stacked with es-Military and old-style Royalists, the the Military Junta could have brought him back, if he was so wonderful?

FWIW, Junta Supremo Prayut blamed previous governments (plural), so not sure if the was just alluding to TRT & PTP, or the various/sundry "Democratic Party" and Military "governments", of which there are too many to mention. He is always so angry these days, all I can say is that it is a good thing he doesn't have access to nuclear weapons.

BinSabai Nov 26, 2015 1:03 am

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 25773863)

Well, the Board of Directors sacked him, and while that arguably could be considered "politically influenced" - the TG board is almost always stacked with es-Military and old-style Royalists, the the Military Junta could have brought him back, if he was so wonderful?

FWIW, Junta Supremo Prayut blamed previous governments (plural), so not sure if the was just alluding to TRT & PTP, or the various/sundry "Democratic Party" and Military "governments", of which there are too many to mention. He is always so angry these days, all I can say is that it is a good thing he doesn't have access to nuclear weapons.

since 2001 there was only one government under democrat leadership and one under military (the current excluded)
do you really want to deny political influence in the removal of Piyasvasti Amranand?

joy16 Nov 26, 2015 4:00 am

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 25773863)

Actually, the Board of Directors that sacked him has only 2 air-force men and a policeman out of 15 board members, so it's not almost. And Mr.Piyasvasti Amranand refused to return to TG because he chose to be a chairman of PTT.

brunos Nov 27, 2015 6:16 am

Sorry, but this discussion about politics seems out of line on FT.