THAI staff threaten strike action

Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation THAI staff threaten strike action

Rumours of a strike on Thursday spread rapidly on social media Monday via groups of staff, prompting urgent attempts by the airline to hose down the reports. "Everyone who is planning to fly on Thursday...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/poli...-strike-action
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by transpac

Rumours of a strike on Thursday spread rapidly on social media Monday via groups of staff, prompting urgent attempts by the airline to hose down the reports. "Everyone who is planning to fly on Thursday...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/poli...-strike-action
oh nice. they copy lufthansa.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
another nail in the coffin?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I sincerely hope its only a rumour as I am on TG433 at 8:20am Thursday. I usually get to the airport around 7:15am for this flight and this is way early enough for me as I am definitely NOT a morning person......no way am I getting to the airport "very early" on Thursday.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:35 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
This seems to be false report. The reporter picked up a rumor from one of the chatter in social media sites and trumped up the headline.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In this article, Junta Supremo Prayut says that...

Responding to a report that some staff members of the airline would stage a strike on Thursday, the prime minister said the staff would not strike but merely wanted to submit a letter to the management.

He added that a strike would be pointless as the management was trying to solve the financial problem.

PM blames previous governments for THAIs financial woes

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has blamed previous governments for doing nothing to address the chronic financial problem in Thai Airways International, the national flag carrier.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-...financial-woes

I think it's safe to assume that the ruling Military dictatorship would not allow a strike. They've granted themselves unlimited powers, via Article 44, so they could just arrest/disappear a few union leaders to bring everyone back into line.

I guess I'd be worried more about a slowdown or work to rule type action? But management has guaranteed no salary reductions for lower level employees so that may stifle any labor actions.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:18 am

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has blamed previous governments for doing nothing to address the chronic financial problem in Thai Airways International, the national flag carrier.
the former government is to be blamed that they sacked the capable Piyasvasti Amranand as the president of TG!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: BRK-B
Originally Posted by BinSabai
the former government is to be blamed that they sacked the capable Piyasvasti Amranand as the president of TG!
You are right!!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: TG, SQ, CX
Originally Posted by Noppasit
You are right!!
+1
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:36 pm

so did they strike this morning or was there anything different then usual?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nothing in the local news, TV; haven't seen anything on Twitter.

Business (cough, ahem) as usual at Thai Airways.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, the Board of Directors sacked him, and while that arguably could be considered "politically influenced" - the TG board is almost always stacked with es-Military and old-style Royalists, the the Military Junta could have brought him back, if he was so wonderful?

FWIW, Junta Supremo Prayut blamed previous governments (plural), so not sure if the was just alluding to TRT & PTP, or the various/sundry "Democratic Party" and Military "governments", of which there are too many to mention. He is always so angry these days, all I can say is that it is a good thing he doesn't have access to nuclear weapons.

Last edited by transpac; Nov 25, 2015 at 11:52 pm
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:03 am

Well, the Board of Directors sacked him, and while that arguably could be considered "politically influenced" - the TG board is almost always stacked with es-Military and old-style Royalists, the the Military Junta could have brought him back, if he was so wonderful?

FWIW, Junta Supremo Prayut blamed previous governments (plural), so not sure if the was just alluding to TRT & PTP, or the various/sundry "Democratic Party" and Military "governments", of which there are too many to mention. He is always so angry these days, all I can say is that it is a good thing he doesn't have access to nuclear weapons.
since 2001 there was only one government under democrat leadership and one under military (the current excluded)
do you really want to deny political influence in the removal of Piyasvasti Amranand?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: ROP

Actually, the Board of Directors that sacked him has only 2 air-force men and a policeman out of 15 board members, so it's not almost. And Mr.Piyasvasti Amranand refused to return to TG because he chose to be a chairman of PTT.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Sorry, but this discussion about politics seems out of line on FT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.