Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

X-mas holiday ticket; buy now, later or wait for reward seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:30 am
Original Poster

I need to fly with Thai Airways on December 30 and of course it's really expensive (Copenhagen - Bangkok 700 Euros one-way, 1000 Euros round-trip). There are no award seats available and the seat availability is as follows:

C9 D9 J9 Z0 U0 Y9 B9 M8 H0 Q0 T0 K0 S0 V0 W0

Those of you who frequently travel with Thai Airways and are familiar with their pricing strategies, what would you recommend I do? Should I buy the ticket now, should I wait a months before buying or should I wait for award seats become available? I travel alone (1 adult) and low cost is the most important factor to me. If an award seats would become available, I would consider flying economy or business class (I have enough miles saved up for that).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: ROP Gold
I would buy now. It is very difficult to get award seats during the Christmas / New Year period.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum
buy your seat now.

alternative: book via Travel Agent, then ask your TA to automatically re-book your reservation whenever ticketing date of current reservation is due. if no more seat in required reservation class, then issue the ticket.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
as its high season there are apparently only few seats left on the only nonstop flight - but you can also try London-BKK where seem seats still to be available for award tickets as well....
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: BRK-B
LHR is fully booked from 15 DEC until 23 DEC
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

I am unable to find any award seats from London to Bangkok on December 30. However, it probably wouldn't solve the problem anyway. I need to work on December 30 (it's ok if I leave work a little early) and I need to be in Bangkok asap on December 31. There is a KLM flight that is more reasonably priced that probably is ok, but since I have a star alliance gold card I'd like travel star alliance.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
TG charges exorbitant premiums for the direct service CPH - BKK. The fare is unlikely to get lower closer to departure. Forget about awards seats becoming available; not going to happen for your flight. Book now if you want to fly TG.

However, I would look into other *A options. OS via VIE and LX via ZRH are likely to have cheaper fares. The first will allow you to depart CPH later than the direct TG flight (and will arrive in the afternoon on 31 Dec) whereas LX will require you to depart around the same time of TG950.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by drvb
Thanks for your replies.

I am unable to find any award seats from London to Bangkok on December 30. However, it probably wouldn't solve the problem anyway. I need to work on December 30 (it's ok if I leave work a little early) and I need to be in Bangkok asap on December 31. There is a KLM flight that is more reasonably priced that probably is ok, but since I have a star alliance gold card I'd like travel star alliance.
there are Award Seas available from both, ZRH (on TG) and LHR (both TG-flights) but only in economy Class
Biz Class you better check any other 1A*airline as TG seems to protect their seats hoping for more biz (and probably given many Award seats already long time ago)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.