Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Which aircraft from Sydney (SYD) to Rome (FCO)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

Just off the phone with Thai Airways call centre and even they couldn't tell me!

Looking at flying mid-August from SYD - FCO (via BKK), however the website only shows the aircraft as 747-400 and not which type. The phone room couldn't help me either.

My question is: Does economy have personal TV from SYD - FCO? Is there a way I can check to see which version it is in the future?

Many, many thanks to all of you!

Dan.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
It is impossible to know this far out which aircraft will be flying the route, but as the first refitted 747-400 will be introduced to the LHR route, I think you will be out of luck, that is the bad news but the good news is there are some incredible economy priced bargains coming out of Sydney
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Just booked this route for my wife in mid July. Will report back re IFE on the 747-400, although I'm not sure how valid it will be for other flights.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:06 am

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BKKROP
It is impossible to know this far out which aircraft will be flying the route, but as the first refitted 747-400 will be introduced to the LHR route
Really? I thought LHR was remaining on the 346 for the forseeable future - at least as far ahead as the winter timetable.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
[QUOTE=mfhstid;18713186]Really?QUOTE]

The timetable hasn't altered, yet the chatter says that the first "new retrofitted" B747 will come on line December 2012 and the rest will follow during 2013, at a rate of one a month. It is an interesting description of the planes, as they are referrred to as ageing and that they get a lot of bad press because they are not UTD. Oh and they say that they will swing them onto the London route
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone and thanks for all your replies. Yesterday, I went a little further up the chain at Thai and received this back...

In August, all THAI operated flights ex Sydney will be operated with personal IFE in Economy Class. Our flight currently to Rome aren’t – although from 1st August 2012 – 15th October 2012, TG944/TG945 (our flights to/from Rome) will also be operated by the Boeing 747-400 series which will have personal IFE in Economy Class.

Interesting.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:59 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
My equipment swap rate on Thai has been 1 out of 5 flights.

It seems that this is a consistent experience on Thai.

I wish you luck.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: QF,UA,VA
Hi all,

Are the retrofitted B744s operating on SYD-BKK route? has anyone been on one from SYD-BKK ?? booked in July SYD-BKK

I believe they are expected to update 6 744 between 2011-2012, any ideas? surely SYD-BKK is as important segment as BKK-LHR ....
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by flyinsikh
Hi all,

Are the retrofitted B744s operating on SYD-BKK route? has anyone been on one from SYD-BKK ?? booked in July SYD-BKK

I believe they are expected to update 6 744 between 2011-2012, any ideas? surely SYD-BKK is as important segment as BKK-LHR ....
TG has implemented IFE on six of its B744-fleet during 2011/12 and is currently in the process of upgrading another six birds of that type during 2012/13. Thus, chances to get an updated bird on the BKK-FCO-BKK-legs are not too bad!
Also see below answer by maestro1981- and this info is quite reliable...
(apart from last minute swaps which TG will make known only two days prior to flight-date):

Hi everyone and thanks for all your replies. Yesterday, I went a little further up the chain at Thai and received this back...

In August, all THAI operated flights ex Sydney will be operated with personal IFE in Economy Class. Our flight currently to Rome aren’t – although from 1st August 2012 – 15th October 2012, TG944/TG945 (our flights to/from Rome) will also be operated by the Boeing 747-400 series which will have personal IFE in Economy Class.

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Jun 11, 2012 at 6:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.