FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   BKK - BNE - AKL. Need to clear Aus customs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1298265-bkk-bne-akl-need-clear-aus-customs.html)

Doug_1970 Jan 4, 2012 2:08 am

BKK - BNE - AKL. Need to clear Aus customs?

I'm flying Bangkok to Auckland via Brisbane. the first leg is on TG and the second leg on NZ. The flight is not a codeshare so I'm wondering if I will need to clear customs in Brisbane, or will they ticket me all the way through?

Airgroovin Jan 4, 2012 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Doug_1970 (Post 17743443)
I'm flying Bangkok to Auckland via Brisbane. the first leg is on TG and the second leg on NZ. The flight is not a codeshare so I'm wondering if I will need to clear customs in Brisbane, or will they ticket me all the way through?

You will be good to clear in AKL as you will only transit in BNE... Smaller INT'L airport and hassle free. Enjoy your trip! :)

Cheers,

AG. :-:

TPJ Jan 4, 2012 7:56 am

You will only have to go through security in BNE and these security guys are normally so bored (not too many international transit passengers flying via BNE), they give most passengers pat down:D

Doug_1970 Jan 4, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks both.

I've never been to, or transited through Australia, and I know that coming from the UK I need a visa to enter, but wsn't sure if I had to enter to transit or not.

Doug_1970 Jan 20, 2012 5:37 am

Sorry to revive this thread.

I had a colleague just flew BKK - KUL - PEK, first leg on Thai and second leg on Air China. When he checked in at BKK he was told that he would have to collect his luggage in KUL and recheck onto the Air China flight as the connecting flight was not a code share.

This wasn't a problem for him, but I'm concerned that this is going to give me a problem transiting Brisbane on the way to Auckland, as my NZ flight isn't a codeshare either.

From the Australian government website:

Note: Travellers changing airlines in Australia are advised to verify with their airlines whether they will need to personally re-check their luggage as part of the transiting process. If so, a visa will be required to retrieve and re-check their luggage before departure.

Judging by this, if Thai can't check my luggage and ticket me all the way through to Auckland, then I will need to get a transit visa. Will I be able to do this at the Australian embassy in Bangkok ?

IndyDavid Jan 20, 2012 9:19 am

Codeshare has nothing to do with interlining baggage. TG could definitely have checked his bag all the way through, unless he was transiting between airports or had a very long layover. You'll be fine.

David

Airgroovin Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Originally Posted by IndyDavid (Post 17851520)
Codeshare has nothing to do with interlining baggage. TG could definitely have checked his bag all the way through, unless he was transiting between airports or had a very long layover. You'll be fine.

David

IndyDavid is correct - BNE is transit for you. Enjoy a safe trip! :)

Cheers,

AG. :-:

Lance Manion Oct 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Dfw - bne - akl

Same question. I think I know the answer, but reassurances would be greatly appreciated since I will be traveling as a single dad with three little ones. We have a couple of hours between an early morning arrival into BNE from Dallas/Fort Worth in the US, with a final destination of Auckland. Will we be considered "transit" in BNE and be allowed to proceed directly to our international connection to Auckland, without having to clear customs? Both flights are on Qantas, if that matters. Thanks all!

BKKROP Oct 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Relax lance, you will be OK, Qantas will organise it all for you, enjoy your flight