FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas-695/)
-   -   Connecting in Dallas. How complicated could it be? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas/2025509-connecting-dallas-how-complicated-could.html)

ticu Sep 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Connecting in Dallas. How complicated could it be?

Flying on AA from TORONTO YYZ to PUERTO VALLARTA PVR connecting in DALLAS DFW (and back).
Layover about 70 minutes both directions.
Don't know the terminals/concourses but apparently the flights to/from PVR go/arrive from/to D gates.
Toronto flight should arrive to a domestic terminal I would think. A,B C??. How would the transfer go? Do I need do leave the airside and go through security at DFW?
Thanks.

wakesetter93 Sep 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 32691473)
Flying on AA from TORONTO YYZ to PUERTO VALLARTA PVR connecting in DALLAS DFW (and back).
Layover about 70 minutes both directions.
Don't know the terminals/concourses but apparently the flights to/from PVR go/arrive from/to D gates.
Toronto flight should arrive to a domestic terminal I would think. A,B C??. How would the transfer go? Do I need do leave the airside and go through security at DFW?
Thanks.

Nope, just hop on the Skylink train. Should give you plenty of time to connect. No need to go airside.

selvasuites Sep 21, 2020 6:09 pm

connecting in Dallas is easy. The terminals are all interconnected. You can either walk, or take the internal train connecting the terminals. It's easy to navigate.

ticu Sep 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by wakesetter93 (Post 32691491)
Nope, just hop on the Skylink train. Should give you plenty of time to connect. No need to go airside.

Thank you. My concern was that I would be forced to leave the secure area once I land at a domestic terminal (coming from YYZ I clear US customs in Canada and land as a domestic US flight).

wakesetter93 Sep 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 32691715)
Thank you. My concern was that I would be forced to leave the secure area once I land at a domestic terminal (coming from YYZ I clear US customs in Canada and land as a domestic US flight).

Nope, you're all set. I don't see any YYZ-DFW directs on FlightAware, but if it's an RJ you'll probably land in the B gates, which means a quick walk or train to the D gates

swag Sep 22, 2020 6:39 am

The return trip is a bit more complex, since you'll need to clear customs after PVR-DFW. You'll land in terminal D, clear customs and end up landside. So you'll need to re-clear security there in D before heading to your DFW-YYZ gate.

ticu Sep 22, 2020 8:12 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93 (Post 32692042)
Nope, you're all set. I don't see any YYZ-DFW directs on FlightAware, but if it's an RJ you'll probably land in the B gates, which means a quick walk or train to the D gates

The YYZ-DFW flight I booked will be on Nov 14 and it is AA460. Currently that number is assigned to a different route. Hopefully it will fly as it says on my booking. Could be a shortage of flight numbers in AA books so they have to recycle flight numbers? BTW, what is an RJ if you don't mind me asking. I could probably google it as well. Thanks

ticu Sep 22, 2020 8:29 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 32692552)
The return trip is a bit more complex, since you'll need to clear customs after PVR-DFW. You'll land in terminal D, clear customs and end up landside. So you'll need to re-clear security there in D before heading to your DFW-YYZ gate.

Thank you for the heads up. I was thinking that as a possibility as well. But I was also contemplating the idea that the DSW-YYZ might fly out from D. That will be AA 2804 on Nov 19. If I need to walk from D to B would 70 min layover be enough? Thanks.

Actually for reference here's the full itinerary:
Departure Nov 14, 2020 1 stop Total travel time: 7 h 23 m
================================================== ===========================

YYZ 7:00 am Terminal 3 flying to Dallas DFW 9:21 am 3 h 21 m 1,929 km
American Airlines 460
Economy / Coach (B)
Layover: 1 h 14 m

DFW 10:35 am flying to Puerto Vallarta PVR 1:23 pm 2 h 48 m 1,578 km
American Airlines 1215
Economy / Coach (B)
================================================== =========================

Return Nov 19, 2020 1 stop Total travel time: 7 h 2 m
================================================== ==========================

PVR 2:28 pm flying to Dallas DFW 5:05 pm Terminal D 2 h 37 m 1,578 km
American Airlines 1215
Economy / Coach (B)
Layover: 1 h 20 m

DFW 6:25 pm flying to Toronto YYZ 10:30 pm Terminal 3 3 h 5 m 1,929 km
American Airlines 2804
Economy / Coach (B)
================================================== ============================

Often1 Sep 22, 2020 8:50 am

The MCT for AA at DFW international-to-international is 70 minutes. Thus, you are at the absolute minimum permitted for a "legal" ticket on that route. If you misconnect, AA will rebook you on the next service, which as currently configured means the next morning. On the other hand, if you take the earlier PVR-DFW flight, you will have a much easier connection and much less risk of an overnight disruption.

The greatest variable in your connection are the delays at CBP. If you do not check bags and have Nexus/GE, you are in much better shape. I would worry a lot less about which terminal as the train is quick and efficient. Bear in mind that AA requires you to be at the departure gate by T-30 as your YYZ departure is international.

Bottom line is that your connection is doable but doesn't leave tolerance for delays which you can't control.

ticu Sep 22, 2020 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32692809)
The MCT for AA at DFW international-to-international is 70 minutes. Thus, you are at the absolute minimum permitted for a "legal" ticket on that route. If you misconnect, AA will rebook you on the next service, which as currently configured means the next morning. On the other hand, if you take the earlier PVR-DFW flight, you will have a much easier connection and much less risk of an overnight disruption.

The greatest variable in your connection are the delays at CBP. If you do not check bags and have Nexus/GE, you are in much better shape. I would worry a lot less about which terminal as the train is quick and efficient. Bear in mind that AA requires you to be at the departure gate by T-30 as your YYZ departure is international.

Bottom line is that your connection is doable but doesn't leave tolerance for delays which you can't control.

Thank you. I do have Nexus/GE and won't check any bag. The train you mention runs landside? I was under the impression that there's only one train at DFW running airside only. Am I missing something?
Are there Global Entry scanners when arriving at D in DFW? What about TSA PreCheck lane(s) at the other terminals?
If true, I believe I will not have to walk up the big lines when arriving from Mexico or departing to Canada, will I? Thinking that not all passengers will have Nexus/GE status. Not sure about Mexican nationals if they have a similar program like NEXUS.

wakesetter93 Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 32692925)
Thank you. I do have Nexus/GE and won't check any bag. The train you mention runs landside? I was under the impression that there's only one train at DFW running airside only. Am I missing something?
Are there Global Entry scanners when arriving at D in DFW? What about TSA PreCheck lane(s) at the other terminals?
If true, I believe I will not have to walk up the big lines when arriving from Mexico or departing to Canada, will I? Thinking that not all passengers will have Nexus/GE status. Not sure about Mexican nationals if they have a similar program like NEXUS.

They have airside trains and landside buses. Given your connection time and the fact that you will most likely fly out of D to YYZ, I would just reclear security at D and then catch the train to another terminal if needed.

ticu Sep 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by wakesetter93 (Post 32693158)
They have airside trains and landside buses. Given your connection time and the fact that you will most likely fly out of D to YYZ, I would just reclear security at D and then catch the train to another terminal if needed.

Sounds like a smart strategy. Can I actually do that (exit D using Global Entry and immediately re-enter D using the TSA PreCheck line)?
But I guess I would need to go to a different level even if it's the same terminal D.

wakesetter93 Sep 22, 2020 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by ticu (Post 32693432)
Sounds like a smart strategy. Can I actually do that (exit D using Global Entry and immediately re-enter D using the TSA PreCheck line)?
But I guess I would need to go to a different level even if it's the same terminal D.

Yep, you exit Customs and Immigration near the D30 baggage claim. Just go up one level to the D30 security checkpoint which has a TSA Pre-Check Lane. You can see it on the airport map in the link below.

https://www.dfwairport.com/map/index.php

ticu Sep 25, 2020 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32692809)

I actually followed your advice and 70 dollars later I changed the flight from PVR to the earlier one after checking on the delays in recent days for the flight AA1215 from 2:28 pm, and there were some actually bad that would make almost impossible the connection. Now I will have about 3 hours and 20 mins to do the transfer. I was trying initially to avoid lingering too long in DFW (because of Covid situation of course) but the perspective of a potential one nighter there would be more inconvenient.
The question now is, did I lose my "privileges" to change my flight in the future if I the need arises. I'm on a basic fare and changes were allowed for the itinerary but not sure if it was a one time change allowed or could be more than that. Any thoughts? Thanks.