Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Houston level 9 tour booked for a Monday, worth it to see the space center on Sunday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Houston level 9 tour booked for a Monday, worth it to see the space center on Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:18 am
Original Poster

I will only have 2 full days (a Sunday and a Monday) in Houston. I hadn't originally planned on going on the very pricey level 9 tour but decided to go ahead and book it. Level 9 tours are only on weekdays.

I've called the space center visitor info and they said it's ok that I use my included entrance into the SC the day before the level 9 tour instead of the usual day after.

Space Center Houston is a ripoff gives me the impression that perhaps I shouldn't bother going to the space center at all on Sunday and should see something else. I will be by myself and kid-oriented displays wouldn't be of interest to me. And, it sounds like the 90 minute tram tour w/the (normally $30) ticket would be redundant.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I did this about 4 years ago and really enjoyed it. If you are into this topic, you should enjoy it. Getting to go to all the behind the scenes stuff that L9 provides was cool.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've only done the Space Center tour once, and it was before Sep 11, 2001 (just a few days before), and things were much different. Plus a co-worker got me some VIP tickets, which gave us nearly free reign of the place. It was amazing!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:28 am
Original Poster

To answer my own question, it turned out to be well worth it to visit the exhibits at https://spacecenter.org/exhibits-and-experiences/ as the level 9 tour spent 0 time there. I did skip those tram tours (due to lack of time) as it seemed like they'd be redundant with some (or all) of the places the level 9 tour goes to. Seems like the tram tours would be a inferior subset.
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cwerdna
To answer my own question, it turned out to be well worth it to visit the exhibits at https://spacecenter.org/exhibits-and-experiences/ as the level 9 tour spent 0 time there. I did skip those tram tours (due to lack of time) as it seemed like they'd be redundant with some (or all) of the places the level 9 tour goes to. Seems like the tram tours would be a inferior subset.
I think that Space Center Houston has its audience calibrated - tours for folks who want to "tram" around (and may have mobility issues), exhibits for reading and interacting with and walking through, some theaters and simulators, get tired and hungry and get food and drink, etc.

Glad you found what you wanted.

David
aztimm and cwerdna like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.