Dallas Tourist Ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas Tourist Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Ah Dallas, I don't really miss it, although I did like the airport.

My recommendations for visitors are the Book Depository, good BBQ, Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, and maybe the Arboretum. The Rangers game is a campaign and too hot in my opinion. The stockyards are worth seeing once.

One thing that was really cool was the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing just north of Ft. Worth. I hear the FW zoo is nice, but I never made it there.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
The general concensus is that Pecan Lodge is the BBQ to go to for out of towners. The brisket is really very good and it is in Deep Ellum so a fun place to visit. I always took my parents there when I used to live in Richardson.
Pecan Lodge is a must and can also hit Cattleack coming down from Frisco. If going into FTW then add Heim to the list.

Maybe a Texas style place like Bonnell's, Lonesome Dove or Reata...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Ah Dallas, I don't really miss it, although I did like the airport.

My recommendations for visitors are the Book Depository, good BBQ, Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, and maybe the Arboretum. The Rangers game is a campaign and too hot in my opinion. The stockyards are worth seeing once.

One thing that was really cool was the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing just north of Ft. Worth. I hear the FW zoo is nice, but I never made it there.
The zoo is really nice, we've had a membership for a few years and did the zoo run with the family this past weekend. Fort Worth Botanic Gardens can also be added to the to-do list.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by thelark
The zoo is really nice, we've had a membership for a few years and did the zoo run with the family this past weekend. Fort Worth Botanic Gardens can also be added to the to-do list.
I went to the Fort Worth zoo years ago and really enjoyed it. My mother wouldn't though and doesn't believe in zoos period. Oh well.

Yes I've read the Pecan Lodge is a must too. I was in Lower Greenville a few weeks ago and drove by. There was a line out the door and hear this is a daily thing. Also when the meats runs out it's time to shut down.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:29 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this and it completely slipped my mind as well: the aquarium. The Dallas World Aquarium is one of the most fun aquariums I've been to.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I went to the Fort Worth zoo years ago and really enjoyed it. My mother wouldn't though and doesn't believe in zoos period. Oh well.

Yes I've read the Pecan Lodge is a must too. I was in Lower Greenville a few weeks ago and drove by. There was a line out the door and hear this is a daily thing. Also when the meats runs out it's time to shut down.
The line moves pretty quickly. Pro tip: If you can grab seats at the bar you can also order from there.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
enviroian

FlyerTalk EvangelistOrigin
al Poster

Wait, you live in Irving and are asking for ideas

It would be helpful to know what mom likes to do @:-)

Things I liked about Dallas were UA's hub attacks

Seriously .....

Stockyards in Fort Worth might be OK, but that is really for the tourists. Having said that, best part of the Metroplex is Fort Worth IMHO.

Bike trails, downtown cowtown, museum district.

Dallas has White Rock Lake that I like, but if you're not a shopper, there's no there there. OK, Deep Elllum, the up and coming Bishop Arts District, but no bike trails.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Wait, you live in Irving and are asking for ideas

It would be helpful to know what mom likes to do @:-)

Things I liked about Dallas were UA's hub attacks

Seriously .....

Stockyards in Fort Worth might be OK, but that is really for the tourists. Having said that, best part of the Metroplex is Fort Worth IMHO.

Bike trails, downtown cowtown, museum district.

Dallas has White Rock Lake that I like, but if you're not a shopper, there's no there there. OK, Deep Elllum, the up and coming Bishop Arts District, but no bike trails.
Actually I live in Frisco now. I moved to the Dallas area November of 2017 after 15 years in Scottsdale.

Thanks for the tips.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:12 pm

Had to head over to north park today so hit up pecan lodge for dinner. Damn that place is so good.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:56 am

The Kimbell Museum in Fort Worth has a wonderful collection, and I've visited there several times when in the area. It's housed in a Louis Kahn building that is itself worth seeing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimbell_Art_Museum

If you're in the area of Las Colinas, I think the outdoor "Mustangs of Las Colinas" is quite impressive and worth seeing (the museum dealing with the sculpture is currently closed, but the sculpture itself is fully accessible).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustangs_at_Las_Colinas
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not only does Dallas have a large network of bike trails, there happens to be one trail that connects two of the destinations you specifically mention. Santa Fe Trail goes from Deep Ellum to White Rock Lake. At White Rock Lake it connects to other bike trails too.

https://www.dallascounty.org/departm...ps/santafe.php

https://www.dallasparks.org/406/Major-Linear-Trails
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
Not only does Dallas have a large network of bike trails, there happens to be one trail that connects two of the destinations you specifically mention. Santa Fe Trail goes from Deep Ellum to White Rock Lake. At White Rock Lake it connects to other bike trails too.
I think you just made my point

In a HUGE metroplex there are just a handful of trails @:-)

When I came back to Dallas about 10 years ago I had a chance to see published the bike and walking trials, only to notice that at least 80% of them were in planning stages .... most of them still are it seems
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: Nothing spectacular
-Take a winding drive up to the beautiful mountains and enjoy year round skiing and scenic chair rides
-Go to a local restaurant and soak in the world class cuisine of Dallas, TX
- Go to a high school football game (this one is slightly serious)
-Admire the wonderful architecture of the unique and beautiful homes of scenic Allen or Frisco. You can wind through the streets for hours and never come back to the same house (not that you would know if you did)
-Last but certainly not least, don't go to Dallas
Sorry for not knowing any useful places to go; I'm not alone!
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
-Take a winding drive up to the beautiful mountains and enjoy year round skiing and scenic chair rides
-Go to a local restaurant and soak in the world class cuisine of Dallas, TX
- Go to a high school football game (this one is slightly serious)
-Admire the wonderful architecture of the unique and beautiful homes of scenic Allen or Frisco. You can wind through the streets for hours and never come back to the same house (not that you would know if you did)
-Last but certainly not least, don't go to Dallas
Sorry for not knowing any useful places to go; I'm not alone!
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in Dallas or, if you have, you only saw the suburban sprawl you were pre-disposed to hate. I can think of hundreds of generic suburban towns across the USA that are just as boring and cookie cutter as Allen and Frisco. Ugly sprawl is hardly unique to Dallas or Texas. I should go post a snarky response in the SoCal forum encouraging people to admire the wonderful architecture of the unique and beautiful homes of scenic Riverside or Ontario. People not from Texas seem to love Austin yet Round Rock and Pflugerville are right up there with Allen and Frisco.

The restaurant comment is particularly strange seeing as we have a pretty good local dining scene.

I did enjoy your suggestion of taking a winding drive through the mountains though.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:20 pm

I've been to Dallas a couple of times. I've always enjoyed the JFK museum
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by CharlotteYork; Dec 19, 2019 at 1:32 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.