Search

Austin & Fredericksburg recommendations requested

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Austin & Fredericksburg recommendations requested

Hi;

Heading to AUS this week and am looking for accommodations in these two cities as well as BBQ.
Thanks for any insights. Will be renting a car at the airport so any traffic issues in the vicinity also appreciated.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
There's a looooong thread on BBQ in DiningBuzz worth a read.

Definitely drive down to Lockhart (Blacks, Smittys).
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by JPat
Hi;

Heading to AUS this week and am looking for accommodations in these two cities as well as BBQ.
Thanks for any insights. Will be renting a car at the airport so any traffic issues in the vicinity also appreciated.
You should have plenty of hotel choices in Austin at this time of the year. There is a Hyat, a Hilton, a Sheraton, a Radison, a new W, out in North Austin there is a Rennaisance and a Westin. Do you want to be down town near the action or in a quiter area?

Fredericksburg your choices are more limited. You might want to try a Bed and Breakfast... these are the best way to go in my opinion.

For BBQ in Austin you have a lot of choices both nin Austin and nearby. The Iron Works down town on Cesar Chavez is popular and near to many down town hotels. Saltlick in nearby driftwood gives you the rustic experience. Several Rudy's BBQs give more of a roadside fast food approach but good quality (you eat of sheets of butchers paper). Two county line BBQ venues are popular with locals.

Lots of other food options worth considering including TexMex, Central Mecican, Spanish, Brazillian, Argentinian, Italian, etc etc. It a foody city.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:37 pm

The Hyatt Lost Pines is great this time of year.. it's a little bit away from the city, but it is a nice get away
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Austin is known for it's great food trailers--you can see some if you google the topic.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by oiltycoon
The Hyatt Lost Pines is great this time of year.. it's a little bit away from the city, but it is a nice get away
Its also in the opposite direction from Fredricksburg.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
My favorite dinner place for BBQ in Austin is County Line. Rudy's is good for lunch, more cafeteria style. No recommendations on hotels in town, though. I always stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn up north on Research.

joe
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by gungadin
Austin is known for it's great food trailers--you can see some if you google the topic.
I love the food trailers in Austin. There are food trailer parks with a couple all in a location.

I realize you went last week. Hopefully you had a great time there and in Fredericksburg and had some great bbq.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

quickie trip report

Five days is not near enough time in this town!

Dined at Stubbs, The Magnolia Cafe and Wink. Stubbs was good but not great. Magnolia was interesting, best for lunch. Wink was very fine! I heartily recommend the last place. He will be a chef of renown very soon.
The Pacific War Museum out in Fredericksburg is a 'gotta do!" for any person interested in WWII. Mighty impressive. Plan on spending the whole day there to see it and appreciate it.

Toured the big Whole Foods just for fun and spent all my music budget at Waterloo Records. Stayed at the Sheraton between the Capital and I 35. Nice folks, good room and services. Food OK. David the barkeep is a good source of info about the local BBQ and music scene.

And a shout out to the folks at the ABIA airport! Loved the rental cars adjacent to the terminal and the quick access to the city.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by JPat
Five days is not near enough time in this town!

Dined at Stubbs, The Magnolia Cafe and Wink. Stubbs was good but not great. Magnolia was interesting, best for lunch. Wink was very fine! I heartily recommend the last place. He will be a chef of renown very soon.
The Pacific War Museum out in Fredericksburg is a 'gotta do!" for any person interested in WWII. Mighty impressive. Plan on spending the whole day there to see it and appreciate it.

Toured the big Whole Foods just for fun and spent all my music budget at Waterloo Records. Stayed at the Sheraton between the Capital and I 35. Nice folks, good room and services. Food OK. David the barkeep is a good source of info about the local BBQ and music scene.

And a shout out to the folks at the ABIA airport! Loved the rental cars adjacent to the terminal and the quick access to the city.
Glad you enjoyed Austin

Next time you visit consider:

Bob Bullock Museum.... Texas History... very well done

LBJ Museum.... also well done and great review of the 60's
Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
Glad you enjoyed Austin

Fredricksburg Oktoberfest is a must do and for BBQ try Salt Lick (BYOB) in Driftwood TX its a small detour on the way to Fredricksburg and I think its the best around.

Theres a new W in Austin and the Hilton downtown on 4th(?) is a nice location near all the downtown bars and restaurants. I love Trulucks Downtown location.

Try and catch the Spazmatics downtown.. Think 80's cover band meets revenge of the nerds...
http://www.thespazmatics.net/

For a nice scenic walk hit the Town Lake hike and bike trail which is downtown and has great views of the lake and the skyline.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bradj
Fredricksburg Oktoberfest is a must do and for BBQ try Salt Lick (BYOB) in Driftwood TX its a small detour on the way to Fredricksburg and I think its the best around.

Theres a new W in Austin and the Hilton downtown on 4th(?) is a nice location near all the downtown bars and restaurants. I love Trulucks Downtown location.

Try and catch the Spazmatics downtown.. Think 80's cover band meets revenge of the nerds...
http://www.thespazmatics.net/

For a nice scenic walk hit the Town Lake hike and bike trail which is downtown and has great views of the lake and the skyline.
The W is actually on 2nd St. We tried to do lunch there but my wife suffered an acute allergic reaction to something (perfume? building materials gassing off?) so we had to abort that plan and ended up at the Cantina Laredo.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
Glad you enjoyed Austin

Will do! To clarify: is the LBJ museum the same venue as the LBJ library?
Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Good timing for the thread, looks like I'll be in the area next weekend 27-30th as I have a friend graduating from basic training near SAT... Excited to hear about the BBQ options, and would be neat to check out a couple National Historical Parks too

Not for the big question- should I bring a cooler to stock up on things to bring home- and where are the best places to find the edible souvenirs ... I know in HI Costco tends to do well... should I just pile up some brisket from a local joint
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
1. Pick up a copy of "Texas Monthly". The restaurant review section offers the latest "buzz' on resturants in Austin and F'burg.

2. An integral part of any visit to Austin is a pitcher of beer at Scholz, outside, weather permitting. Don't risk the food, unless the world and the kitchen have changed.

3. Driving to or from F'burg, take the short detour to Luckenbach. Have one beer and a photo or two to ensure that you have enjoyed the quintessential dose of culture.

4. There's BBQ and there's BBQ, and the old "Salt Lick" is not the best of it, but certainly provides a classic venue for eating it. Places like Rudy's or Stubbs? About as "real" as the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. Real BBQ aficionados argue over how long it takes to drive to Lockhart and whether to go to Kreuz, Smitty's or better, both (since the place in Lexington is only open on Saturday morning), real stops on the pilgrimage to Holy Sites.

5. "Migas" for breakfast? Little more than a depository for yesterday's fresh tortillas. Real men breakfast on "Menudo" (para la cruda!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.