FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   How to disable auto-load of next/last page of thread? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1989432-how-disable-auto-load-next-last-page-thread.html)

CalAlumnus13 Sep 30, 2019 9:25 am

How to disable auto-load of next/last page of thread?

This feature makes it very tough to read FlyerTalk for me, especially on mobile. If I scroll to the bottom or top of a thread, the next or prior page auto loads--but in the process, it bumps me to another position in the thread. I lose track of the post I was trying to read.

It also makes it difficult to scroll to the very top of a page by tapping on the menu bar on iPhone. I often want to go to the top to go to the parent forum, but every time I scroll to the top the prior page of posts loads. It's very frustrating.

Can I just disable this auto-load feature somehow?

IBJoel Sep 30, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13 (Post 31578760)
This feature makes it very tough to read FlyerTalk for me, especially on mobile. If I scroll to the bottom or top of a thread, the next or prior page auto loads--but in the process, it bumps me to another position in the thread. I lose track of the post I was trying to read.

It also makes it difficult to scroll to the very top of a page by tapping on the menu bar on iPhone. I often want to go to the top to go to the parent forum, but every time I scroll to the top the prior page of posts loads. It's very frustrating.

Can I just disable this auto-load feature somehow?

This is standard for mobile (although you can always choose "View Full Site" from the menu), but if you go here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions, you can click "Disable Infinite Scroll" and hit "Save" at the bottom.

CalAlumnus13 Sep 30, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply. So there's no way to disable it for the mobile version of the site?

IBJoel Oct 1, 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13 (Post 31579044)
Thanks for the reply. So there's no way to disable it for the mobile version of the site?

Not for the mobile skin, no.

lsquare Oct 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 31582398)
Not for the mobile skin, no.

That’s terrible and FT should do something about it. I disabled the infinite scrolling feature on my desktop just to make FT bearable. On mobile, it’s very frustrating browsing FT. I searched and found this thread because FT’s mobile site is driving me crazy. Someone please do something about it. The infinite scrolling feature is annoying as hell!

IBJoel Oct 25, 2019 7:49 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31663653)
That’s terrible and FT should do something about it. I disabled the infinite scrolling feature on my desktop just to make FT bearable. On mobile, it’s very frustrating browsing FT. I searched and found this thread because FT’s mobile site is driving me crazy. Someone please do something about it. The infinite scrolling feature is annoying as hell!

There is still the option to view the desktop version of the site on mobile devices.

VSLover Jan 17, 2022 12:51 pm

has the ability to disable auto load been removed? i've somehow been switched back to the horrid auto load/horrid format!

tim0409 Oct 4, 2022 3:23 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31663653)
The infinite scrolling feature is annoying as hell!

Agreed, and there seems to be quite a bit on here but the issue of adding the option to turn it off is obviously insurmountable for some reason. I used to use FT a lot, but given it's unusable for me on mobile (I don't want to pinch/zoom all the time when using the desktop on mobile) I barely use it now unless I'm on my desktop.

I suspect there are others like me who have just given up on the site given how much mobile use dominates nowadays.

ijgordon Oct 6, 2022 7:04 pm

Yup this is a pretty terrible “feature”. If I “jerk” my finger up and down (eg if I’m scrolling down and then quickly reverse direction) it loads the next page and jumps ahead and I lose my place. It’s really quite a joke.

lsquare Oct 7, 2022 1:45 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 34660924)
Yup this is a pretty terrible “feature”. If I “jerk” my finger up and down (eg if I’m scrolling down and then quickly reverse direction) it loads the next page and jumps ahead and I lose my place. It’s really quite a joke.

This seems to affect me more on my iPhone than on my Android device. It's really annoying! I try not to use FT on my iPhone because of that.

ijgordon Oct 7, 2022 11:07 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34661446)
This seems to affect me more on my iPhone than on my Android device. It's really annoying! I try not to use FT on my iPhone because of that.

Yes this is on my iPhone. It’s awful and happens several times per day. I guess the admins don’t care. Maybe I’d consider unblocking ads if they’d acknowledge and fix the problem.

Zorak Oct 7, 2022 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 34662591)
Yes this is on my iPhone. It’s awful and happens several times per day. I guess the admins don’t care. Maybe I’d consider unblocking ads if they’d acknowledge and fix the problem.

+1

The blocker nag boxes say "The FlyerTalk team works very hard to keep the site free for you and provide the best possible content" which ignores the fact that the content on FT is provided by the users.

The other one says "One easy way you could help us is by disabling your AdBlocker. The funding from our sponsors helps us invest back into FlyerTalk to improve your experience. FlyerTalk is special to us, and we want to make it special for you too."

I would definitely consider unblocking ads (or preferably, paying a nominal fee and leaving them blocked) if I ever saw any actual improvements to the experience (fixing things they just broke doesn't count), or if there were any tangible evidence that IB actually cares about making it special for us. Saying it is one thing; observable actions are another.