FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Mobile Search Broken? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1840787-mobile-search-broken.html)

SkiAdcock Jul 13, 2015 5:48 pm

search doesn't' work properly on mobile

This has cropped up before and I keep meaning to report it but forget.

There have been numerous times when I'm accessing FT in the evenings via my Kindle Fire HD vs. my laptop. I'll be in a forum and want to do a search within a forum. Example: I'm in the Marriott forum & want to search for properties in Amsterdam. I click on search this forum, and before I can even type Amsterdam (or anything) it suddenly reverts back to the forum and knocks me out of the search box. Rinse & repeat, regardless of forum. I access FT full site vs. mobile when I access it on the Kindle.

Anyone else experiencing this search problem on other devices?

Cheers

florens May 5, 2017 4:09 am

Mobile Search Broken?

Whenever I search on mobile, selecting subfora to be searched only doesn't work. I get results from all fora, regardless of my filter.

iOS, Safari

https://s22.postimg.cc/sshlvd23x/IMG_4512.png

https://s22.postimg.cc/4d9dub371/IMG_4513.png

image hosting 10mb limit

IBJoel May 5, 2017 3:47 pm

What were the two forums you have selected in the first image? We couldn't get this to happen on our end, but may be forum-specific.

florens May 5, 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 28273674)
What were the two forums you have selected in the first image? We couldn't get this to happen on our end, but may be forum-specific.

BA!

flyerCO May 8, 2017 6:38 am

Have you made sure to uncheck the search all forums box? I use the Mobile version and recently realized this was why it wasn't searching just what I clicked.

florens May 8, 2017 10:29 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28282874)
Have you made sure to uncheck the search all forums box? I use the Mobile version and recently realized this was why it wasn't searching just what I clicked.

I understand 'Child forum' as a subforum of a given forum and BA doesn't have one. When I uncheck, I get the same results. It is impossible for me only to search the BA forum.

IBJoel May 8, 2017 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by florens (Post 28283869)
I understand 'Child forum' as a subforum of a given forum and BA doesn't have one. When I uncheck, I get the same results. It is impossible for me only to search the BA forum.

You are certain you unchecked "Search all forums" in the drop down menu? Because it says you still have 2 forums selected. If you're only searching BA, you should only have one forum selected.

florens May 9, 2017 11:53 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 28285255)
You are certain you unchecked "Search all forums" in the drop down menu? Because it says you still have 2 forums selected. If you're only searching BA, you should only have one forum selected.

Ok, it was this. I have been using mobile search for a while and never encountered this. In fact, it has been working fine until now. Has this been changed? There should be an automated uncheck of 'search all forums' once a subforum is selected. This way I need to click twice.

IBJoel May 10, 2017 8:28 am

I'm not sure. It does seem somewhat unintuitive that "Search All" is not deselected when selecting something else. I'll see if tech can fix/improve that.

florens May 11, 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 28292745)
I'm not sure. It does seem somewhat unintuitive that "Search All" is not deselected when selecting something else. I'll see if tech can fix/improve that.

Thanks, IBJoel, much appreciated.

getagb May 23, 2017 1:21 pm

As an added data point, the same exact thing just confused me on mobile.

s0ssos Dec 18, 2018 10:34 pm

mobile cannot search thread

On a desktop you can search through a thread on flyertalk when you are in the thread. On mobile you cannot (running chrome). If you use mobile mode there is no option. If you switch to desktop view you see the same thing but when you click on the search it just disappears, as in the box you are trying to type into.

Of course you can use a workaround, using the general search function and selecting the particular thread.

IBJoel Dec 19, 2018 8:36 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 30551598)
On a desktop you can search through a thread on flyertalk when you are in the thread. On mobile you cannot (running chrome). If you use mobile mode there is no option. If you switch to desktop view you see the same thing but when you click on the search it just disappears, as in the box you are trying to type into.

Of course you can use a workaround, using the general search function and selecting the particular thread.

Hi there,

While the mobile version does not have every function that the desktop version does, we're always taking feedback as to how to improve it. The Desktop View is not built to be compatible with mobile devices, so while it works, you get glitches like the one you described.

If the thread is not particularly long, another workaround is to use Chrome's "Find in Page..." function.

s0ssos Dec 19, 2018 9:26 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 30552838)
Hi there,

While the mobile version does not have every function that the desktop version does, we're always taking feedback as to how to improve it. The Desktop View is not built to be compatible with mobile devices, so while it works, you get glitches like the one you described.

If the thread is not particularly long, another workaround is to use Chrome's "Find in Page..." function.

Oh, ok.
Yea, it is a really long thread (and I turned off infinite scroll)