FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Trending threads issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1900306-trending-threads-issues.html)

IBJoel Aug 28, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph (Post 30137855)
I cleared my cache. I cleared my cookies. I had to log back into the website, but the trending threads are still the same...

Hmmm.... Could you post a screenshot for us, please?

RunningforMiles Sep 5, 2018 5:55 am

Did the algorithm that selects the trending posts change when the new design was launched? It seems like there was significantly more change before, now it’s many of the same threads that stay up there for a long time (like the BoB success thread).

IBJoel Sep 5, 2018 10:02 am

Originally Posted by RunningforMiles (Post 30169409)
Did the algorithm that selects the trending posts change when the new design was launched? It seems like there was significantly more change before, now it’s many of the same threads that stay up there for a long time (like the BoB success thread).

No, not to my knowledge. How long would you say they stay up there?

RunningforMiles Sep 6, 2018 9:31 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 30170265)
No, not to my knowledge. How long would you say they stay up there?

​​​​​​​The BoB thread has been up there for 7 days now. The Marriott Silencing Bloggers thread was also up there for a while. Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel like even popular threads used to drop off the trending page after a day or two and there were a good number of new threads that would be shown.

IBJoel Sep 6, 2018 11:04 am

Originally Posted by RunningforMiles (Post 30174179)
The BoB thread has been up there for 7 days now. The Marriott Silencing Bloggers thread was also up there for a while. Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel like even popular threads used to drop off the trending page after a day or two and there were a good number of new threads that would be shown.

I spoke with our product team and they confirmed that the algorithm remains the same. The factors taken into account are thread creation date, total replies, and replies/time, among some other stuff.

RunningforMiles Sep 6, 2018 11:23 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 30174552)
I spoke with our product team and they confirmed that the algorithm remains the same. The factors taken into account are thread creation date, total replies, and replies/time, among some other stuff.

Thanks for looking into that!

RumPatrol Sep 6, 2018 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 30174552)

There are still empty trending threads posts with no data in them (shown below). At first I thought these were threads that have since been deleted or moved, but there is no way that's possible (there are moved threads elsewhere on the page). The other issue is that Omni/PR threads are now showing up on the trending threads page, which previously never happened and probably shouldn't happen. Interestingly, when I click on the Omni/PR link for that thread, it takes me to a completely different forum (the Hyatt forum, which is where this thread was started I imagine) but when I click the thread itself, it takes me to the thread located in the Omni/PR sub-forum.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ad91c05ec8.png

Looking at some of the threads in the Omni/PR section for the first time ever, I would highly recommend that sub-forum be excluded from the trending threads page if at all possible. I really don't think FT wants some of the threads on that page being visible when you click the main forum page and considering how many posts some of these have, I'm certain they'd show up on the trending threads page often. This is the first time I've ever seen an Omni thread on the trending threads page despite having Omni access for a long time now so something must have changed regarding which sub-forums are allowed to populate the trending threads.

IBJoel Sep 6, 2018 4:01 pm

The "ghost" threads are a result of a thread being merged/deleted. We're trying to figure out a way to possibly remove them or circumvent that. Omni, we'll talk discuss the pros and cons with tech.

IluvSQ Sep 8, 2018 8:35 am

I'm finding that these " ghost" threads can be over 30% of the listings - i.e. over 8 out of 25 threads are ghosts.
And the ones lasting multiple days seem to be increasing all the time.
Getting to be that this " trending" forum intro page is not very valuable.

RumPatrol Sep 8, 2018 8:42 pm

There can't possibly be that many threads that qualify as "trending" that are getting deleted or merged. If a thread has enough activity to be trending, surely it is able to stand on its own. Is it possible that the trending threads algorithm just isn't regularly refreshing which is leaving some of these ghosts (and other older threads) on the page?

There are some trending threads on the page right now that have 7 or fewer posts in them over the course of a full day, there has to be something off in the algorithm.

IBJoel Sep 10, 2018 10:28 am

Right now, I'm counting 2 ghost threads (I believe it updates every 10min, so this could be different when you view it). I'll ask about the algorithm again, but everything I have heard indicates it was left alone when they changed the design of Trending.

audio-nut May 17, 2019 1:45 pm

I would love to be able to exclude forums from the trending list as half of the list is almost always British Airways related which has no relevance to me

IBobi May 21, 2019 12:59 pm

What you can do is click the subscribed checkbox and only see threads from your subscribed forums.