FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Mobile Device & Screen Shots (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1885655-archive-report-disruptive-2018-ads-mobile-device-screen-shots.html)

YuropFlyer Jan 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by DiscHandler (Post 29285434)
The problem is 3rd party adware which users have probably downloaded from a malicious site. It's more user error than something Flyertalk did.

Completely wrong. Please dont post stuff like this.

FT does have an issue with malvertisements. Its simply not useable on mobile devices right now.

WIRunner Jan 12, 2018 3:58 pm

The problem is 3rd party adware which users have probably downloaded from a malicious site. It's more user error than something Flyertalk did.

False. I tried it on a wiped iPhone and the problem came around again. It is more flyertalk error than something the user did.

RumPatrol Jan 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by IBThomas (Post 29284516)
Thanks for the updates and concerns everyone. The screenshots have been really helpful, allowing me to report multiple ads to our ad-ops team.

We've been reporting the same ads for months now. This has been happening for as long as I've been a registered member, and before that as just a lurker.

What, exactly, is being done to solve the problem on your side? I know exactly what is being done to solve it on my side and it is costing you money.

RumPatrol Jan 12, 2018 4:15 pm

I will never understand 1) where people hear stuff like this and 2) how people actually believe it. This is not even remotely how malicious advertising works. Never, ever, repeat this to anyone else lest someone, somewhere actually believes it and spreads it along.

I don't know how moderators can allow posts like this to remain while posts advocating actual working solutions to the problem get deleted. Some of us are trying to actually make this site useful for members who rely on it on a daily basis.

pvn Jan 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 29285513)
Then why does it only happen on FT?

Right, it's not malware.

You get these sorts of insanely obnoxious ads on a lot of dumb listicle sites. You sometimes even see them on reputable websites (I've seen them on vox or forbes) though those sites will quickly take action and get rid of them.

The problem is that they come from ad networks. Individual sites aren't approving each ad that gets served to their viewers.

FT could avoid this issue completely if they'd just use a decent app like tapatalk. It's insane in 2018 to require users to access the forum via browser on mobile platforms.

aquamarinesteph Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

I deleted FlyerTalk on my phone b/c of this stupid Amazon popup. No photo available b/c I was trying to quickly get out of that screen.

chicagorich Jan 12, 2018 6:52 pm

I installed Adguard on my iphone and the hijack ads are gone.

ymx Jan 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by chicagorich (Post 29286260)
I installed Adguard on my iphone and the hijack ads are gone.

Thanks dir the tip - this fixed it for me as well! I downloaded the free version.

tbrein Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm

I will continue to use the Notion adblocker until FT fixes this annoying problem.

cyclogenesis Jan 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 29285814)
We've been reporting the same ads for months now. This has been happening for as long as I've been a registered member, and before that as just a lurker.

What, exactly, is being done to solve the problem on your side? I know exactly what is being done to solve it on my side and it is costing you money.

same problem here.. seems to happen on;y when logged 9n on iOS

flipper118 Jan 12, 2018 10:40 pm

flyertalk and skybet app on iPhone

Every time I open flyertalk on the BA page I've saved on my iPhone I immediately get a message to open or cancel the Skybet App. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm unable to read or post anything on my iPhone.

sent from my ipad

nick.t.davies Jan 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Currently trying to battle it myself on iPhone. Almost makes FT totally unreadable (I can only access 10% of pages without being forceably redirected). Very annoying and very intrusive.

iPhone X, Safari, iOS 11.2.2

Starship73 Jan 13, 2018 12:51 am

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies (Post 29286827)
Currently trying to battle it myself on iPhone. Almost makes FT totally unreadable (I can only access 10% of pages without being forceably redirected). Very annoying and very intrusive.

iPhone X, Safari, iOS 11.2.2

Yes, this has been a problem for a while and renders FT effectively inaccessible via the Safari browser on the iPhone. Hope it gets fixed soon!

madfish Jan 13, 2018 1:16 am

I only get this issue when not at home. Tends to happen when using WiFi when out and about but fixed itself if I use my own signal. Costa seems to be a particular issue.

Mwenenzi Jan 13, 2018 1:21 am

Originally Posted by flipper118 (Post 29286723)
Every time I open flyertalk on the BA page I've saved on my iPhone I immediately get a message to open or cancel the Skybet App.

Do you use the Skybet app? Or is it a FT spam attach on your system