FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1832089-new-ft-features-27-mar-2017-logged-users-not-using-ad-blockers.html)

IBobi Mar 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 28094427)
It was the email for quotes. I had done none of those things you describe.

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28094493)
Someone should tell the system that. My emaol box is flooded with SPAM as far as I'm concerned. Everything a person quotes you, you get another.

BTW real websites don't turn junk like this on with no notice, test their updates before making them live, and finally they listen to their user base.

Apparently that quote notification feature piggybacked its way in on the others -- we didn't know it was there!

So we have turned that feature into an OPT-IN feature, so that you will need to go to your MyFT and turn it ON if you want quote notifications; I will add this to a future announcement.

Thanks for your vigilance!

Paul

IBobi Mar 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Quote notifications are now OPT-IN -- see above!

Here's how to turn them ON:

Go to MyFlyerTalk
Go to USER TAGGING
Go to SETTINGS
Go to:
Quote Restriction (to only be alerted when someone on your friends list quotes you)
Quote Alerts (to never be alerted when you're quoted)
Quote emails (Check this box if you wish to receive an email whenever you are quoted in a post)

SAVE CHANGES

TravelinSperry Mar 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28094493)
Someone should tell the system that. My emaol box is flooded with SPAM as far as I'm concerned. Everything a person quotes you, you get another.

BTW real websites don't turn junk like this on with no notice, test their updates before making them live, and finally they listen to their user base.

Agreed! Now I'm getting emails! I certainly didn't sign up for this. epic fail! :mad::mad::mad:

MSPeconomist Mar 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 28094437)
You should not be getting alerts when someone quotes you. I'll look into it.

I'm getting "you've been quoted" emails: extremely annoying.

IBobi Mar 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28094794)
I'm getting "you've been quoted" emails: extremely annoying.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 28094702)
Agreed! Now I'm getting emails! I certainly didn't sign up for this. epic fail! :mad::mad::mad:

Those will/have stopped.

SkiAdcock Mar 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Who knew there'd be an advantage to not being social media savvy? :p :D Haven't had any of the problems others have experienced.

One thing I will say though is that it would behoove IB to do a lot of research/polls/surveys amongst FTers whenever they decide to implement something that will 'enhance' FT. It would help avoid pissing off FTers. However, it's common knowledge that FT does its enhancements for the sake of IB & not FTers.

Cheers.

IBobi Mar 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 28094883)
Who knew there'd be an advantage to not being social media savvy? :p :D Haven't had any of the problems others have experienced.

One thing I will say though is that it would behoove IB to do a lot of research/polls/surveys amongst FTers whenever they decide to implement something that will 'enhance' FT. It would help avoid pissing off FTers. However, it's common knowledge that FT does its enhancements for the sake of IB & not FTers.

Cheers.

In this case, it would not have helped.

1. The only part of the tool that was a problem was quote notifications.
2. We did not know they were even there, so even if we asked someone about the tools we implemented, we would not have asked about the tool that ended up being a minor, temporary annoyance.
3. Quote notices are now turned off by default so won't be an issue any longer.

LIH Prem Mar 27, 2017 7:12 pm

Is the intent to show the pop-up more than once?

I'm getting it every time I switch to a different forum.

DeafFlyer Mar 27, 2017 7:16 pm

How do I stop the popup asking me to turn off my ad blocker to get the new features? I don't need it popping up every time I click on something. No, I'm not going to turn off the ad blocker yet.

Edit to add: I see that it only pops up on new forums I haven't visited yet. I guess that is okay.

Himeno Mar 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer (Post 28095013)
How do I stop the popup asking me to turn off my ad blocker to get the new features? I don't need it popping up every time I click on something. No, I'm not going to turn off the ad blocker yet.

Edit to add: I see that it only pops up on new forums I haven't visited yet. I guess that is okay.

It shouldn't pop up more then once. Period.

I've had that stupid message shoved at me a good 20 times in the last 15 minutes.

lo2e Mar 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Is there any way to disable having the system automatically link hashtags? i wanted to use the number sign as a number sign, but FT tried to make it a hashtag. I think a post-by-post disabling, like how we can disable smileys on a post-by-post basis, would be good for this feature if we want to actually use # as a number sign.

alphaeagle Mar 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 28095081)

I've had that stupid message shoved at me a good 20 times in the last 15 minutes.

Pops up on every new page that's loaded for me (even when making this post). What garbage, super annoying. :mad:

LtKernelPanic Mar 27, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm curious. Do the powers that be at FT sit down and decide what they can change to piss off the most people they can at once because it sure feels that way every time some new "enhancement" is rolled out.

Mwenenzi Mar 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic (Post 28095381)
I'm curious. Do the powers that be at FT sit down and decide what they can change to piss off the most people they can at once because it sure feels that way every time some new "enhancement" is rolled out.

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 28095081)

When ever FT has an upgrade/enhancement/additional features (unnecessary unwanted) there is a mad scramble on how to disable/kill them.

invisible Mar 28, 2017 1:59 am

You have been quoted at FlyerTalk Forums

Received this notification on my email. Could not find a way to turn it off. Any advice?