Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Technical issues subsequent to the 28 Mar 2016 software update
Please use this thread to report bugs experienced with the new FT software

Please browse the FAQ below to see if there's already an answer to your concern. Thank you for your patience and feedback.

For some issues you may be experiencing, try the following (all "in quotes" originally posted by IBobi from Admin, below):

Q. What can I do to make it easier for Admin / Tech to help me resolve issues?

Post information about the operating system and browser, specific versions and plugins you are using, whether using full desktop or mobile site, and screen shots of appropriate size to illustrate what you are seeing.

If you're unsure how to add photos or thumbnails, please read "Posting a photo / picture / image; how to embed an image in a post".

Q. Why so many problems with Windows 10? What can I do to troubleshoot the issues I'm having?

"Windows 10 is very problematic. Only a few users, and if you combine it with IE rather than Edge (which it comes with), moreso. There will only be so much we can do for you.

First, again, I recommend just switching browsers to Chrome or Firefox.

From tech, here are some other steps you can take:

1. If a user has any 3rd party plugins installed in their browser, that can sometimes cause problems. To test this, turn off all the plugins and see if the problem still occurs. If yes, then the plugins are not the problem. If no, then one or more of the plugins is probably the problem (turn them back on one at a time to identify the culprit)

2. Please confirm what browser(s) is being used on Windows 10. When they say IE, do they really mean Edge? Or did they actually install an old version of IE?

3. Are there any other non-standard configuration changes that they made on their browser. If yes, try turning them off like #1 above.

4. Provide any specific page URLs that have the problem (if problem does not occur for all pages)"

Q. What can Windows 10 and Edge, Internet Explorer users do?

"Guys, this software combo seems to be a real Edge case, so there is just not much more we can do right now.

Using a configuration that's as close as we can get to yours, our techs have not been able to replicate your issues.

This is not to say that the issue doesn't exist -- if you google "internet explorer blank tabs issue" you will see that this is IE-related and has been happening to people for years (some suggestions that it is related to having used Norton AV as well...).

I doubt there is much more we can do at this time, other than to again recommend you change browsers to Chrome or Firefox".

Q. Why am I not seeing the thread start date?

"Because this is cookie based, it may help to clear your cookies and starts fresh. Or it may just take some time for the database to reset for all threads and users."

Q. Why can I occasionally and intermittently fail to jump to the first unread post in a thread, or fail to quote for a reply, or attempt to reply and have my post jump to another thread?

We don't know yet, but these seem to be unpredictable, intermittent and possibly contained to a handful of fora. Be assured Tech is aware of these and working to solve these issues. (It's generally more difficult to solve issues when they are intermittent and not readily replicable at will.)

Q. I can't read FT on my iPhone app any longer. Why not?

The app has been unsupported for some time now; it could only be downloaded by surreptitious ways to bypass the App Store. Since the upgrade, the app no longer works. Options include the mobile skin, or using the browser on your mobile with the full desktop version.

Q. I get "500" errors trying to use the mobile site on my Blackberry. What's wring?

"We are looking into the possibility of reviving the Blackberry version, but we are not hopeful given the age and the closed nature of the Blackberry code."

Q. I can't read Wikiposts or subscribe to threads on the mobile site. Why not?

A future version of the mobile site will support both.

Q. How can I switch to the mobile or full web site?

Scroll all the way down to select Mobile Site or Full web display. This will last until ockies are replaced (~24 hours).

Q. Is there any chance FlyerTalk can reverse the "upgrade"?

"There is zero chance we are rolling back. Sorry guys.

There have indeed been a number of issues, but that doesn't mean we just stop innovating. We fix the issues and move forward. This update was an absolute necessity due to some google requirements. Going back is not an option.

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused, and we spent a great deal of time QAing the software prior to going live. But we'll address the issues and move forward, onward."
Print Wikipost

FAQ & feedback: Technical issues following the March 28 2016 software upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:31 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Is it just me, on Android, who is seeing the mobile site looking very poorly formatted?

The design is atrocious at present...

EDIT: Evidently I was on too early, and thus the changes had not yet been sent through for mobile. It now looks great.

Last edited by msm2000uk; Mar 29, 2016 at 8:52 am
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by guv1976
Since approximately 6:00 PM on Monday, March 28, I have been unable to access the FT mobile site with my BlackBerry. (Keep getting a "500" error.)

Is this likely to be a temporary or a permanent problem?
I think it's dead Jim
Attached Images  
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:28 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Could you post a screenshot of what you mean? I just want to be clear on my understanding of the issue.

Please also list you browser type and device type if you're on mobile.
I'm not positive if this is what remdk is talking about, but below is how it looks on mine. Notice that the red lines I added are not parallel to the blue lines I added. Was this by design?
Attached Images  
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by IBobi
It is designed that way.
Wow....

Congratulations, I guess.

You just managed to take a rather decent website that was visually appealing and trash it into something almost completely unreadable.

Well done.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Is it just me, on Android, who is seeing the mobile site looking very poorly formatted?

The design is atrocious at present...
That's not particularly useful. What specifically so you not like? I'm an android mobile site user and appreciate that I can see more on the page, plus infinite scroll.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

It is designed that way.
Bad call. It gives the impression the thread is done and disrupts the flow.

Anything we can do to get rid of the mid-page placed ads?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
That's not particularly useful. What specifically so you not like? I'm an android mobile site user and appreciate that I can see more on the page, plus infinite scroll.
Had you seen the page I had, no explanation would have been necessary.

The Mobile Site changes have since been loaded through, and it now looks great.

Last edited by IBobi; Mar 29, 2016 at 1:40 pm Reason: Complete quote
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've noticed that when I'm quick-posting a reply, I can't select text in the box unless I hold down shift while selecting.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: Skywards
Because this is cookie based, it may help to clear your cookies and starts fresh. Or it may just take some time for the database to reset for all threads and users.

Let me know if it's still happening in 24 hours please.
still not working for me (mobile, iphone), if I open a thread I see #1
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:55 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
When I tried accessing the site from my iPhone, couldn't open it (the normal way) restarted the phone, still can't access. Deleted the app and tried to install it again from Apple store. I can't find it, neither on my phone nor on my lap top.

The only way I can acres the site is through my computer.

What have I done wrong?
You've done nothing wrong. The software upgrade will no longer support the app. However, the mobile site is still functioning properly.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:41 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've noticed that when I'm quick-posting a reply, I can't select text in the box unless I hold down shift while selecting.
Can you be more specific, Dave? Not sure what you are describing.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A while ago, I experienced a problem in using post quick reply to quote a post and reply. This happened over in the "help me with my dissertation" thread in TravelBuzz.

The first post worked as expected. Then I tried to make another post quoting a different post. I tried this several times, so I know I was clicking post quick reply from the correct post, specifically the one that I now wanted to quote.

However, it kept quoting the first post that I had quoted earlier until in frustration I used the regular quote button that makes you click and go to a new page to post a reply.

BTW, I'm using an iPad with Safari and usually try to avoid long complicated multi quote posts on my device.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david4455
Bad call. It gives the impression the thread is done and disrupts the flow.

Anything we can do to get rid of the mid-page placed ads?
Agree, I think this is awful - 4 page separations caused by random placed ads that, in my case, are the same as the ad on the side anyway! Really really think this is a clunky way to display content and advertisements, not user friendly at all.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did FT somewhat revert back to an earlier version? The RBP icon and the buttons in the lower right corner of posts are all the new style, but something is gone from the blue bar at the top of threads and forum listings. In particular, New Posts is now back in the center. IIRC it's something like FT Community that disappeared from the blue stripe.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:19 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by pewpew
I get a 500 error when trying to access mobile.flyertalk.com. My user agent string: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+
We are looking into the possibility of reviving the Blackberry version, but we are not hopeful given the age and the closed nature of the Blackberry code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.