FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1675575-archive-2017-disruptive-ads-advertisement-ft-reports.html)

krazykanuck Dec 25, 2017 11:34 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 29213512)
The ads FT serves up also include a ton of the stupid "Your device is infected with the virus (16!) Click Here to Cleanse!!!" ads which redirect to their ad over and over again. I usually have to close the window, and bring FT back up, when those ads start. :mad:

That, and the "Congratulations Verizon Customer! You are the winner of $100 Amazon gift card!!!" ads.

Both redirect away from the page you were browsing and try to intercept attempts to return to the prior page you were on. I get these on a couple of other web sites on my mobile devices, too, but FT seems to be the worst offender.

Seriously, Chrome for Android needs to have some better ad-blocking options.

Yeah: this thread is on page 52 now https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...-shots-52.html

JDiver Dec 25, 2017 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 29189364)
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!

To those who are Missing posts, please stop flogging dead horses and making posts that are attacks, overly personal or otherwise disruptive (including advocating ad blocking software use). Posts that meet those criteria will be summarily deleted. Members who continue make noncontributive and disruptive posts may be disciplined.

We know there’s a problem; many members have helpfully shared specifics such as device, operating system, browser, screen shots, etc. The problem has persisted in spite of time, and whatever Internet Brands has attempted to solve the issue has been insufficient. IB undoubtedly understands ads bringing income need viewers, and a diminution of viewers is harmful to that revenue stream.

We have heard from IBobi that they hope to resolve this issue close to the new year. Let’s see what happens.

Regardless, the Rules (link) still apply in this forum. Please continue documenting disruptive and rogue ads here, providing the requested information. IB needs that input. But please continue doing so civilly.

Thank you,

JDiver, Co-Moderator

Sallycat Dec 25, 2017 12:44 pm

I was on the following page and received the below pop up:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...l#post29209086

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a67845386d.png I’m on an iPhone 6S, using safari, and accessing from the US.

JDiver Dec 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Thank you for your post and your patience. The specifics really do help.

These, along with the phony virus infection warnings and browser page hijacks, are disconcerting.

Hopefully Internet Brands has figured out the source and will be able to control that within a week or two, as mentioned above by IBobi.

/JDiver, Co-Moderator

aww3583 Dec 25, 2017 1:16 pm

I’m browsing this exact page in this forum and got the pop up and redirect ad.

I also got it in the HHonors and Delta Skymiles forums. Terrible. Makes the website unusable.

FlyerTalk should be embarrassed by the level of infiltration of toxic ads.

It it has been happening for months on iOS 11 and above using Safari on both the desktop and mobile sites.

dhuey Dec 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Add me to the list of You won an Amazon gift card! pop-ups. iPhone 6 Plus. It is so persistent I thought I had some malware on my phone.

chicagorich Dec 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 29214035)
Add me to the list of You won an Amazon gift card! pop-ups. iPhone 6 Plus. It is so persistent I thought I had some malware on my phone.

Same here.

C W Dec 25, 2017 3:07 pm

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5f4b426d3b.png
This crap is back. Accessing using iPhone X with Chrome from Oregon.

scillyisles Dec 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 29213821)

We know there’s a problem; many members have helpfully shared specifics such as device, operating system, browser, screen shots, etc. The problem has persisted in spite of time, and whatever Internet Brands has attempted to solve the issue has been insufficient. IB undoubtedly understands ads bringing income need viewers, and a diminution of viewers is harmful to that revenue stream.

Thank you,

JDiver, Co-Moderator

Thank you for acknowledging that this problem has persisted in spite of time. The issue I have is that the “time” part seems to be over a year or more and yet we are told that a solution is coming in the New Year.
Hopefully the upcoming solution will solve the problem, I do however wonder why of all the Internet forums I frequent none of them have anywhere near the issues that FT has with disruptive ads/malware pop ups. Why is this - surely knowing the reason would lead to a solution?
In the meantime whilst posting this I continue to get the Amazon pop up as shown on post above on both Iphone 7+ and IPad both under Safari and IOS 11.2.1 browsin* from Hawaii on Time Warner Cable.

GadgetFreak Dec 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by atword (Post 29157796)

I’m getting this one every 5-10 minutes with a redirect away from the site. It’s making it very difficult to use FT. I’m seeing it on an iPad and iPhone X with Chrome.

GadgetFreak Dec 25, 2017 7:40 pm

I think it’s mad at me for reporting it. It just did it to me four times in under a minute on another thread. And I got the ad and mandatory jump to another site within about a minute of trying Firefox. So it seems to be FT, not Chrome specific.

JDiver Dec 26, 2017 10:23 am

We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!

Posts that are off topic or disruptive, that cast negative attributions or are attacks against IB or others are in violation of the Rules and will continue behind deleted

JDiver, Co-Moderator

exerda Dec 26, 2017 10:59 am

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...943bcacffc.png
Motorola Droid Turbo Max. Visiting plain OMNI.

GB Dec 26, 2017 11:31 am

I am amazed that the issue with these incredibly annoying Pop Ups continues. It has now reached the point that I cannot even access FT on my mobile device as the Pop Ups take over every time I go to the site. I have never experienced this on any other site. I find it hard to believe that the IT team at FT does not have the skills to stop this.

IBJoel Dec 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks Exerda, I have reported that ad.

As far as the ads "counting" as clicks, I can assure you they don't. We like you guys to stay on our pages :)

kale73 Dec 26, 2017 3:03 pm

I do not use any sort of ad ******* on my aging iPad, but I have observed that my solution to the constant page reloads on that device (i.e. disabling Javascript in Safari) has the unfortunate side effect of disabling most of the site's ads. Would someone who does not have to disable Javascript to use the site please inform me when these problems are fixed so I might once more enjoy the bounteous ads that the site provides? TIA.

exerda Dec 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 29216898)

As far as the ads "counting" as clicks, I can assure you they don't. We like you guys to stay on our pages :)

You're welcome!

Here's another instance, different URL (same hardware, viewing Omni/PR at the time).

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...99dcd15aa4.png

If I get one of the fake virus ads, I'll post it. Got one earlier but forgot to screen shot it.

lewisc Dec 26, 2017 9:41 pm

phony virus ads chrome browser Android

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...53c3f4f8e5.png
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...61ab7b638e.png

C W Dec 27, 2017 2:57 am

Classy...

GadgetFreak Dec 27, 2017 4:47 am

I don’t know how these happen technically. They seem to be much more common on certain threads. Are people hacking the site to add these?

fransknorge Dec 27, 2017 6:44 am

No. They happen because ad providers add them.

techie Dec 27, 2017 7:05 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 29216898)

Disable ads on mobile devices and so many of these problems will go away. Why are you unwilling to do so until such time that you fix the situation?

exerda Dec 27, 2017 7:11 am

Got the same "four virus" hijack spam ad just a minute ago in the /PR forum, I believe within the tweets thread.

Motorola Droid Turbo Max, latest Chrome (not sure of the version #, but I updated it yesterday).

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...98dad67da7.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8d431d1367.png

JDiver Dec 27, 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by GB (Post 29216485)
I am amazed that the issue with these incredibly annoying Pop Ups continues. It has now reached the point that I cannot even access FT on my mobile device as the Pop Ups take over every time I go to the site. I have never experienced this on any other site. I find it hard to believe that the IT team at FT does not have the skills to stop this.

Is it the skills to rectify the pop-ups, or is it a legally binding contract IB entered into with overreaching or incompetent content providers that requires legal action and settlement? I don’t know, but IBobi has stated we will see some of these problems go away close to New Year’s.

Now, let’s get back on topic and post useful information about disruptive ads. (Off topic posts may be summarily deleted.)

Thank you,

JDiver, Co-Moderator

NOTES: If you have a popup warning you of a virus on your device, absolutely ignore it.

“A search on BBB Scam Tracker found that 81 reports this year of similar scams using pop-up messages on phones. On its website, Apple advises its user if they get a pop-up ad or a page warning you about a problem with your device just simply close the pop-up ad, or navigate away from that page and continue browsing.Jul 27, 2017” ABC2 News

The likelihood of virus infection of iOS is very low, and Android is a “sandboxed “ OS also unlikely to be infected. There are products from reliable providers such as Symantec you can use if you’re worried about a virus on your device.

IBJoel Dec 27, 2017 10:43 am

All ads have been reported. Thank you all for posting them.

IBobi Dec 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Regarding mobile redirects/hijacks,

As I mentioned earlier, we are going to try, hopefully sooner than later, to handle the dreaded mobile advertising hijacks a bit better in 2018. More to come on that soon, I hope -- I am waiting for word.

Meanwhile, it's come to my attention that on the CHROME mobile browser, you can try this to fix:
  1. Load chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture in the browser's address bar.
  2. Switch the status of the "Framebusting requires same-origin or a user gesture" experimental flag from default to enabled.
  3. Restart the Chrome browser.

exerda Dec 29, 2017 1:19 pm

The workaround is not working for me. May try rebooting my phone altogether or killing Chrome vs
Soft restarting it.

Just got the "four virus" one when trying to access this thread on three consecutive attempts...

ConfusedByBAEC Dec 31, 2017 6:02 pm

Seriously sick of these virus alerts. Just disable ads for god's sake until you can stop them.

<redacted>

MODERATOR NOTE: This thread is now archived. Please refer to new desktop and mobile device ad reporting threads for 2018.

Also note:

Thank you for your patience in getting these issues resolved, and for taking the time to post your reports. They have been useful to Tech.

cblaisd and JDiver, forum Co-Moderators

JDiver Jan 1, 2018 1:54 pm

This thread is now archived. Please refer to new desktop and mobile device ad reporting threads for 2018.

Also note:

Thank you for your patience in getting these issues resolved, and for taking the time to post your reports. They have been useful to Tech.

cblaisd and JDiver, forum Co-Moderators