FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Chat Poblems [master thread: Apr 2012 - Nov 2014 version] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1460696-chat-poblems-master-thread-apr-2012-nov-2014-version.html)

IBobi Apr 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Chat Poblems [master thread: Apr 2012 - Nov 2014 version]

Please post issues with the new FT chat in this thread.

T8191 Apr 23, 2013 3:44 am

Using Mac/Safari, all I see is …

Please activate the chat windows in the bottom right corner of the screen below:
Rest of page is blank.

nimd4 Apr 23, 2013 7:45 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 20637325)
Using Cr4ap/Safari, all I see is …

Have you tried clearing your browser history and cache?.. Installing a different browser? The domain: evolve.com has to be unblocked from any cookie/script blockers. Chat works fine on Firefox 20.0 Raring i386:

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/...3201303422.png

T8191 Apr 23, 2013 11:20 am

Not playing around with my system, friend. If FT can't make it work across the spectrum of major IT systems, I'm not interested.

ba.com has similar issues :)

IBcash Apr 23, 2013 11:25 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 20637325)
Using Mac/Safari, all I see is …

Rest of page is blank.

You probably still have it set to "Off". The "On" button is on the bottom right corner.

Please let us know if you don't see it.

IBcash Apr 23, 2013 11:28 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...hat-button.png

T8191 Apr 23, 2013 11:31 am

I now have some buttons in the bottom right corner. And functional … thank you.

Not that i'm likely to bother a lot, but glad it works.

MSPeconomist Apr 23, 2013 8:39 pm

I entered the new chat easily enough, but it sure doesn't get along with my bluetooth keyboard. I'm using an ipad2 with safari and an apparently fine internet wireless connection. The bluetooth keyboard seems perfectly happy for me to post on FT with no problems, but weird things happen when I type of live chat: bbbluuuuuetotttthh issss veeeerryyy uunnnnnnnnnhapppppppppppyyyy.

SkiAdcock Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am

Is chat supposed to show prior conversations? I just logged on to it & it shows what appears to be a conversation from yesterday evening.

Cheers.

oliver2002 Apr 26, 2013 9:03 am

Yes, general chat will preserve the previous conversations.

Jenbel Apr 29, 2013 4:57 pm

unless a mod wipes.

MSPeconomist May 8, 2013 1:54 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 20656324)
Yes, general chat will preserve the previous conversations.

.....although at last on an ipad, it's hard to control the scroll up or down to read much when you weren't reading the chat comtemporaneously.

I've also noticed that the list of who is in the chat doesn't always include everyone present and active. Moreover, I cannot see myself to check, for example, that my country flag is correct. (I think this is based on my computer's current location, so it should disclose where I am when I travel. Is there a way to mask or disable this?)

IBobi May 8, 2013 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20715861)
.....although at last on an ipad, it's hard to control the scroll up or down to read much when you weren't reading the chat comtemporaneously.

I've also noticed that the list of who is in the chat doesn't always include everyone present and active. Moreover, I cannot see myself to check, for example, that my country flag is correct. (I think this is based on my computer's current location, so it should disclose where I am when I travel. Is there a way to mask or disable this?)

Nonce that I am aware of, and I've looked at all the functionality. We have relatively limited ability to modify the chat, as it is a 3rd-party product. Fortunately it is the one that most closely matches our needs.

jackal May 8, 2013 6:06 pm

When is the option to just have chat appear on any FT page (like MilePoint and Facebook) rather than having to remember to open a completely separate, useless window to join?

IBobi May 8, 2013 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 20720099)
When is the option to just have chat appear on any FT page (like MilePoint and Facebook) rather than having to remember to open a completely separate, useless window to join?

It's either on all pages or this one page. If there's a consensus to put it everywhere, we could do that.

jackal May 8, 2013 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 20720118)
It's either on all pages or this one page. If there's a consensus to put it everywhere, we could do that.

I vote yes!

It might help if there were an option (in one of the board settings pages) to disable it altogether, but I see no reason why it can't be on every page. That's how it is on Facebook and MilePoint.

GW McLintock Feb 10, 2014 2:12 am

CHAT broke it seems, started having issues on Saturday. The default room doesn't show up and the user list is wacky...

(Also the page title -- for the page itself, i.e. <title>____</title> -- says "FlyerTalk Forums - FlyerTalk Awards 2012" but it has said that for I think well over a year now.)

-J.

IBobi Feb 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Reported to tech -- thank you!

IBobi Feb 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Fixed.

GW McLintock Feb 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 22324415)
Fixed.

Thank you :)

Any chance we could get our flags back too? Or do we get to stay on this all-expenses-paid vacation in Questionmarkistan?

-J.

GW McLintock Mar 5, 2014 9:43 pm

Guess what day it is?!?

Chat went (down) again :(

-J.

IBobi Mar 6, 2014 12:14 pm

OK I'll alert tech.

GW McLintock Mar 6, 2014 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 22474942)
OK I'll alert tech.

Seems they got the memo -- thank you! :)

-J.

GW McLintock Jul 20, 2014 3:13 pm

Not really a big problem, but there are "ghosts" in the chat (there are chat heads with no info available, until you click on them and then they show a username even though that person isn't actually there). Right now it says there are 8 people in the chat even though I'm the only one.

-J.

SkiAdcock Aug 3, 2014 10:10 pm

Does chat not work with kindle/Android?

On kindle fire hd. Click on chat from ft drop down menu. Get some message about logging in in right hand corner of page but page is white/blank so no where to log in.

Irony -I'm rarely up late enough to do chat anymore and the one tome I want to I can't

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

GW McLintock Aug 3, 2014 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23305483)

On kindle fire hd. Click on chat from ft drop down menu. Get some message about logging in in right hand corner of page but page is white/blank so no where to log in.

Irony -I'm rarely up late enough to do chat anymore and the one tome I want to I can't

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

We saw you coming in and out a few times -- one person (for better or for worse) accesses chat from his ipad and gets disconnected somewhat regularly, but can still chat (again, for better or for worse).

-J.

IBobi Aug 5, 2014 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23305483)

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

Be sure you log into FT, THEN go to the chat page -- then you should see the chat box in the lower RH corner.

GW McLintock Sep 4, 2014 9:06 pm

Time for the bi-annual chat problem :eek:

User list box is blank and The Lounge doesn't even show up.

UPDATE - seems to be working again! :)

-J.

SkiAdcock Sep 5, 2014 11:01 am

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 23314830)
Be sure you log into FT, THEN go to the chat page -- then you should see the chat box in the lower RH corner.

Ok, will try that next time although I thought I was already logged in.

Cheers.

davidhawk Oct 1, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm getting "Please activate the chat windows in the bottom right corner of the screen" but there is nothing to click or activate. Chat was working fine a week or two ago.

I had just cleared all my browsing history and cookies before the problem. Using a Chromebook.

goalie Oct 1, 2014 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by davidhawk (Post 23610544)
I'm getting "Please activate the chat windows in the bottom right corner of the screen" but there is nothing to click or activate. Chat was working fine a week or two ago.

I had just cleared all my browsing history and cookies before the problem. Using a Chromebook.

Chat is going/has been taken offline

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...g-offline.html

SkiAdcock Oct 3, 2014 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by davidhawk (Post 23610544)

Chat's going offline while they come up with a new one. However, there is an alternate one set up by ripper3785

As per previous outages, I've setup the alternate chat at http://mibbit.com/?channel=%23flyert...irc.mibbit.net

See you all there!

Cheers.

CitizenWorld Nov 25, 2014 9:04 pm

FlyerTalk Chat Window

Sorry but I seem to be missing where I'm supposed to activate the chat window?

Thanks for the help in advance.

http://i.imgur.com/GBqSIXJ.png

IBobi Nov 26, 2014 2:33 pm

Chat has been down for a while (it's a 3rd party app and the maker has gone under). We have selected a new provider and will implement soon!

GW McLintock Nov 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld (Post 23898941)
Sorry but I seem to be missing where I'm supposed to activate the chat window?

Thanks for the help in advance.

The post above yours has a link but I just noticed it doesn't work. We have been congregating here: http://mibbit.com/?channel=%23flyert...irc.mibbit.net

-J.

CitizenWorld Nov 27, 2014 12:32 am

Oops, sorry didn't see the sticky! Thanks guys!

JDiver Dec 3, 2014 9:26 am

NOTE: CHAT IS OFFLINE AT THIS TIME.

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 23610656)
The software that powers FlyerTalk Chat is no longer. While we implement a new chat platform with exciting new features, chat will be offline for several weeks. We apologize for the inconvenience.

-The FT Team

Originally Posted by Ripper3785 (Post 23613006)
As per previous outages, I've setup the alternate chat at http://mibbit.com/?channel=%23flyert...irc.mibbit.net

See you all there!

Posts inquiring, discussing or making suggestions regarding the new product have been moved to the "sticky" thread announcing temporary closure of Chat functions: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mporarily.html

This thread documents and discusses issues with the Chat that no longer is in use as of October 2014.

When the new Chat is implemented, we'll start a new thread to deal with specific issues pertinent to the new product.