Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Add a Trusted Traveler forum as an offshoot of Travel Safety/Security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

Please note: Comments Welcome, Voting Underway: Create a Trusted Traveler forum was begun 18 October 2013 and is also a place to discuss, support or oppose this motion, now in play and being voted upon by elected TalkBoard members. (I've been told TB members will monitor both threads.)

/Moderator
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:25 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

The Practice Travel Safety Issues forum has largely become a site for discussion of trusted traveler programs such as Global Entry, NEXUS, PreCheck and the like. Would it make sense to have these discussions grouped into their own forum?

The first page of the board currently includes the following threads:

Global Entry discussions
How long for Global Entry approval?
Global entry program-processing time for UK citizens
Global entry program-processing time?
Global Entry CARD
Is Global Entry worthwhile?
GE with bandaged finger
Global Entry Enrollment Center location at EWR
How much time to allow for GE renewal at IAH?

NEXUS discussions
NEXUS Application/Expiring Passport
Nexus application processing time

PreCheck discussions
Lining up at regular security line but then jumping to Pre-Check?
TSA Almost Doubles Airports With PreCheck

Discussions of other trusted traveler programs
IRIS (UK) closes 16 September

The first page also includes 12 threads unrelated to trusted traveler programs.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:30 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I'd be fine as long as

the sub pages are part of PRACTICAL and not separate pages under the general TS/S umbrella.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good idea especially as international global entry partnerships expand along with pre-check and other offerings

458 "global entry" threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...ort=replycount 4 big trusted traveler threads
and not sure, but a bunch of the other biggest threads (that are not trusted traveler) sound more like "Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate" ? for example if so that would increase the "percentage" of trusted traveler content.

Originally Posted by squeakr
the sub pages are part of PRACTICAL
subforum as you describe would make the most sense i would think

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by squeakr
the sub pages are part of PRACTICAL and not separate pages under the general TS/S umbrella.
A very good idea and I'm inclined to agree with this
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Furthermore

The initial split of TS/S into Practical and Debate was to create a safe place for posters to ask questions. I think it's worked quite well. Presenting that split for posters who do NOT wish to debate security issues while asking about GE/Nexus is paramount.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I think it's a great idea. i've stopped reading one part of TSS because so much of the front page is taken up with GE threads which have no interest for me. When a topic takes over the forum so much, it's good to think of other ways of managing it.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Initial thought is that it sounds like a good idea. Perhaps the OP wants to start a thread in the appropriate spot in TSS mentioning the idea & providing a link to this thread & ask FTers to weigh in here, so TB members get an idea of the interest/support.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I could see either a subforum or an additional (third) forum under TSS.

GE threads currently are mostly of interest to USA citizens. However, this may change in the future as more countries are added to the program or develop their own similar programs.

IMO the trusted traveler requirements, application procedures, and special processing methods ar distinct from more general practical security questions such as which airports forbid and confiscate even small scissors, how opt outs are handled, etc.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO the trusted traveler requirements, application procedures, and special processing methods ar distinct from more general practical security questions such as which airports forbid and confiscate even small scissors, how opt outs are handled, etc.
That's my thinking, too. Unless PreCheck really takes off, only a relatively small percentage of travelers care about trusted traveler programs. Yet discussion of those programs seems to monopolize the Practice Safety board. And while these programs are advertised as for their safety benefits, those of us who are using them are doing so for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with safety.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Perhaps the OP wants to start a thread in the appropriate spot in TSS mentioning the idea & providing a link to this thread & ask FTers to weigh in here, so TB members get an idea of the interest/support.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Your suggestion was noted, Sharon! I was deferring to the moderators of that board re. whether they wanted to write something & make it a locked sticky or whether I should. I didn't want to get in the trouble for starting a duplicate thread
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

recently in debate forum >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...available.html
Originally Posted by InIndiana
I have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to (I might be searching the wrong terms, if so, please accept my apologies)
149 "global entry" threads in debate forum, presumably big ones got into heavy debate, not sure about others

not sure if mods/admin have way to search for "GE" and other acronyms

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Unless PreCheck really takes off.
they were set to launch public applications soon?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 18, 2013 at 6:12 pm
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:38 am

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're saying or what your point is Kagehitokiri.

Cheers.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Sorry, but I have no idea what you're saying or what your point is Kagehitokiri.

Cheers.
I think that was Kagehitokiri's shortcut effort at consolidating the comments of TalkBoard members who have and have not weighed in, as well as the comments of Travel Safety/Security moderators who have and have not weighed in.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I think that was Kagehitokiri's shortcut effort at consolidating the comments of TalkBoard members who have and have not weighed in, as well as the comments of Travel Safety/Security moderators who have and have not weighed in.
indeed. although i did not intend to imply "not weighed in" or any implications related to that. more just a list that i can use to update, instead of trying to remember or look up each time. and i thought it was interesting that one TB is a mod in the forum. probably early for a "recap" but its something i can keep updated. (sorry for whenever i lack clarity.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.