Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

What is a 'Do?' When does a 'Do' become a commercial venture?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a 'Do?' When does a 'Do' become a commercial venture?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Hi, wanaflyforless. Nice to meet you.

I don't know/remember you so don't presume to know whether your efforts are worthy of appreciation or not.

I know that I don't much recognize your handle from the forums I frequent. I do understand that you are quite a mileage runner. Good for you.

But I will say this: there is certainly no need to speak at a commercial seminar in order to share your wisdom and knowledge with the community. In fact, this very forum was created so we can ALL share our wisdom and knowledge without expections of being compensated or having our travel underwritten to do so.

And if you want to attend a 'real' Do on your own dime and share your wisdom and knowledge with other FTers, awesome. That's what Dos are all about!!!!

But expecting to trade your travel and lodging for your expertise is, to me, not in the spirit of community that is FlyerTalk.

I'm sure there are many here less qualified than you to speak on the subject of maximizing miles. There are also many more qualified. Giving AND taking information on an equal footing is the true spirit of FlyerTalk, imho.
Gimme me a break.. Is it so hard to understand that no one has any economical gain from this? Is it so hard to understand that face to face interaction and the social aspect of this is attractive to Flyertalkers?

Do you really think the Chicago DO would will up with 500+ people again if it wasn't worth it for FTers?

That you are belittling organizers of these DOs and all the effort it takes to put them together is pretty low. The community strongly disagrees with you what a real DO is.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tommy777
...moderators were paid cash to attend
"Paid cash" is a little misleading. Moderators were given a stipend to help defray their travel costs. Which was very helpful indeed. And just to note: before the sale of FT to IB the receipts that moderators signed were from the HOM; after, they were from IB.

and also Randy treated everyone to a very nice dinner.
Indeed, Randy did so before the sale to IB. After the sale, Randy hosted but IB paid.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
"Paid cash" is a little misleading. Moderators were given a stipend to help defray their travel costs.
And myself and 99,999% of our members have no problem with that, just in the same way that 99,999% of our members have no problem with speakers getting free, sponsored airplane tickets and hotel rooms.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
...For the FT University....
Oddly enough, when I see "FT" I think "FlyerTalk."

As do "99,999% of our members"
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Oddly enough, when I see "FT" I think "FlyerTalk."

Hmmm....
I hear you, loud and clear. But face it, us Flyertalkers are just a very small group of travelers, the frequent users can't be more than 10K people

The FT Awards name will be marketed to over 50 million members of loyalty programs throughout the month of March, most of them have never heard of Flyertalk.

The logo and the website states the full name. http://www.ftuniversity.com/ To write The Frequent Traveler University every single time, gets a little old.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:59 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
The value I receive from teaching at FT Dos is primarily the satisfaction of knowing I have helped other FTers.

The first few times I taught I paid my own airfare/hotel/food.

I would never consider the airfare/hotel/food to be worth my time. On the contrary, I do not see those things as anything I have gained; they are of 0 value to me as I would not be there (would not need that transportation/hotel) if I had not been invited to speak.

All voices having equal time to speak does not lead to the most wisdom/knowledge changing hands.
Honestly, if you have so much great information to share, why not simply post it on FlyerTalk. @:-) No need to travel on your dime or anyone else's!

Why make me pay money to underwrite your attending a seminar to have you share your wisdom? For the pleasure of your company?

Originally Posted by Tommy777
Gimme me a break.. Is it so hard to understand that no one has any economical gain from this? Is it so hard to understand that face to face interaction and the social aspect of this is attractive to Flyertalkers?

That you are belittling organizers of these DOs and all the effort it takes to put them together is pretty low. The community strongly disagrees with you what a real DO is.
Do they?

That's what I am asking the TB, as the community's representative.

Because what *I* see has gone beyond magnanimous posters getting together to share information in a spirit of community. What I see is a cottage industry of seminars and websites springing up to take information that is available for free from FlyerTalk posters, package that up and resell it back to the posters for a fee.

Maybe that's what FlyerTalk has become. I like to think not. But that's what I see.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:08 pm

What I see is a cottage industry of seminars and websites springing up to take information that is available for free from FlyerTalk posters, package that up and resell it back to the posters for a fee.

Maybe that's what FlyerTalk has become. I like to think not. But that's what I see.
I guess you missed what i wrote... Or not

And then we take the initiative to get people together to listen to some smart guys who know a hell of a lot more about miles and points than I do and charge 49 dollars to cover lunch, breakfast and drinks. Guess what, a lunch, breakfast, coffee, cookies and drinks cost money. In fact, 68 bucks per person, but thanks to sponsors, we were able to get the price down to 49.
So a bunch of guys get together and put up a cool thing without getting paid a dime and makes sure that companies/sponsors knock the price down so you can have a bunch of fun, drinks, meals and conference room under cost and that's a bad thing?

Yeah, it's horrible what Flyetalk has turned in to.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I just reread the thread that Tom linked to, and would encourage everyone to read it in its entirety (takes less than 5 minutes).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ft-events.html

I'd say the majority of those posting didn't have a problem w/ administrative fees if they are disclosed up front & for what purpose, and pretty much took sandiego1K's top down view.

A large # didn't think it was a TB issue either for that matter.

I also found myself agreeing with what I said last year in that thread

Last year's ORD Seminar was run by an all volunteer group and will be again. The logistics (and yes, cost) in organizing a 2-day seminar for 450 people & signing legal contracts - which is quite frankly a lot different than FTers sitting around a bar or restaurant informally chatting miles & points - resulted in an admin fee. Any additional funds after costs were covered were donated to charity, not kept by the organizers. The same this year, even if the admin fee is slightly larger. The Frequent Traveler University (FTU) is being run by the Frequent Traveler Educational Foundation (FTET), a non-profit organization. Everything is basically disclosed up front (otherwise how did you know that speakers might get their air & hotel covered .

FTers have the choice to attend or not, based on what the seminar do is about, the perceived value, etc. If they're not interested or don't see the value they won't. If they attend & it's not what they thought, they won't attend if it's held again. Given that 106 FTers signed up yesterday for the ORD Sem Do and a # were folk who attended last year, presumably they find value. And the first post details what the admin fee is covering. Nothing's been hidden that I can tell.

I guess I just don't see a rash of for profit ventures hitting FT CB all of a sudden. Shrug.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Honestly, if you have so much great information to share, why not simply post it on FlyerTalk. @:-) No need to travel on your dime or anyone else's!
- To a small extent, I have done so in years past (especially in forums like milesbuzz), and the posts got buried and forgotten (while the same questions get asked in new threads every year). Although mostly I have chosen not to (reasons for not doing so differ depending on topic).

- Based on feedback from my audience, engaged FTers learned many things from me they did not learn on Flyertalk, even though they read Flyertalk all the time. Are the attendees lying to me just to make me feel good?

- Perhaps in person interaction can aid the transfer of wisdom/knowledge more efficiently than reading Flyertalk forums.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Here we go AGAIN.

If you don't like the charges for a DO, don't attend. Simple.

Plenty of people find the events highly valuable, and the speakers highly valuable too. That's why over 500 people attend the Chicago Seminar DO. And guess what? In 2009 and 2010 it cost me 1/6th of the average annual salary in New Zealand to attend Star Mega DO. Hell, I don't even eat stuff at the dinners, and I don't drink. Know why I paid? Because it was fun, and the company of the other FTers was valuable to me. If that's not valuable to you, don't freakin' come to the DO or event.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Before responding to some of the particulars I wanted to make very clear, because I have been a speaker at the Chicago Seminar DO, because I have been asked to - and agreed to - speak there again. And because I am going to speak at Frequent Traveler University:

I have never made a dime off of any of these efforts.

They are 100% for the education and benefit of the frequent flyering community. I have some experiences and knowledge and I am happy to dedicate a weekend or three to shae them with folks.

And noen of the organizers of these events have ever made a dime on them, either.

The 'fees' for attending are no different than when people go to other DOs and put up cash upfront for meals or other activities, so that the volunteer organizers don't get stiffed.

And in the case of these events, tommy777 and ingy have gone out of their way to find sponsors so that the participants aren't even picking up all of the costs.

Now, in the interests of full disclosure I will also say that ingy picked up two nights of hotel for me last year at the Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village (I don't recommend it for your next romantic getaway or spa retreat, by the way).

I agreed to speak at the event, and at the time it wasn't obvious that he'd be picking up hotel in fact when he invited me he said he didn't know if he could but he hoped to. That's cool, Ibought plane tickets (which were never offered to be reimbursed, which I didn't ask to have reimbursed), and I showed up and ingy picked up the room charge.

I did order a late night burger because the place is pretty remote and isolated and talking to other frequent flyers late into the night I missed all other dinner opportunities. Guess what? I paid for my own burger.

No one makes any money off of these things. They're hosted to share something and give something back to a community of frequent flyers.

And y'know what? koko, you know this already...
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Some folks had concerns about the "FT" acronymn in FT University, obscure2k cross-posted something from OMNI:

Which I had already extensively answered.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16025735-post107.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16025962-post111.html

Several of the folks in this thread who repeated concerns know better, and certainly know me better.

We came up with "Frequent Traveler Awards" as descriptive of what we were trying to do. FT is a natural acronymn for that, sure, but wasn't the reason for the name nad provides no benefit at all to the event (most of the people learning about the awards and voting have never heard of Flyertalk, eg the millions of members of Marriott.. and American... and Priority Club.. and Delta who are learning about the awards in emails sent to them by the programs.).

Then Frequent Traveler University was added on by the folks organizing the Frequent Traveler Awards. The Frequent Traveler name was a natural extension and the acronymn a coincidence. Truly.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Yeah, it's horrible what Flyetalk has turned in to.
Tommy,

Koko speaks for himself and the voice of dissension here by no means reflects the views of FlyerTalk and the membership at large. I am 100% confident of that.

Having organised only one do (a mere 40 covers), I doff my hat to all event organisers especially yourself and ingy who through dedication and brute effort have managed to deliver FT events unparalleled in size and complexity.

I am clueless as to exactly what has motivated this line of discussion and to be honest I don't care much for it. Having expressed my view on the subject I will withdraw now to the comfort of the BA forum.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I applaud the initiative of those that are out seeking sponsorships and using them to underwrite their events and then using part of those sponsorships and/or registration fees to fly in their friends. Very clever!
Now this is really quite snarky, and even borderline offensive. Gee, what a junket!

Last year I gave 3 talks at the Chicago Seminar DO. I paid my own airfare to get there. IIn the end ingy picked up two hotels nights for me.

At the Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village.

It's a Holiday Inn in an office park surrounded by almost nothing. Not a vacation, although there was a Starbucks across the freeway.

I flew out there so I could help 500 other frequent travelers learn about booking awards, taking advantage of error fares, and maximizing their benefits in Star Alliance.

And Frequent Traveler University? It's at the gorgeous Sheraton LGA. In Flushing.

Anyone 'concerned with precedent' fine. But start off by saying thank you because I haven't seen many of the haters doing a lot to put on events for large numbers of frequent flyers, which attendance suggests they value, and at no personal benefit to themselves.

And truth be told these events aren't any different from DOs that have evolved. The larger events, not "hey lets meet for drinks at X bar with a happy hour special" but the major events that are days-long, they regularly require upfront payment. Or even dinners -- put your money on the table. Because food costs money.

Not a dime is going into anyone's pockets from Frequent Traveler University. To the best of my knowledge, I'm pretty sure not a dime goes into anyone's pocket for the Chicago Seminar DO either. It's all about the frequent traveler and a way of giving back.

And I'd suggest this: at the same time expressing concerns about rules and procedures, think about the consequences of those rules and how to replace the useful events for the community that those rules and concerns wold take away.

If folks don't want me to spend my time traveling to Flushing, New York and Elk Grove Village, IL fine, I won't, I have plenty of other things I can do with my weekends. Like travel to fun places or doing things that actually do bring in some income.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:38 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Prospero
Tommy,

Koko speaks for himself and the voice of dissension here by no means reflects the views of FlyerTalk and the membership at large. I am 100% confident of that.

Having organised only one do (a mere 40 covers), I doff my hat to all event organisers especially yourself and ingy who through dedication and brute effort have managed to deliver FT events unparalleled in size and complexity.

I am clueless as to exactly what has motivated this line of discussion and to be honest I don't care much for it. Having expressed my view on the subject I will withdraw now to the comfort of the BA forum.
The fact that "this line of discussion" exists may be the exact reason for the new competition.

It sure makes it more difficult to continue volunteering the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.