Search

Swiss / ZRH: Travel experience in during COVID [mask mandate etc]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Senator
Swiss / ZRH: Travel experience in during COVID [mask mandate etc]

Good evening everyone

As you may be aware, BA’s current business class offerings are a bottle of water and a cookie. I have to fly with LX to Switzerland for an emergency and was wondering if they went down the same route or if they actually provide a business class service on bord (of some sort) these days or if I just should go for economy?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2020, 3:08 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Look again. There is a specified forum for Swiss.

It depends on the length of the short haul as well as the time, but usually there is always a small meal included, even on short routes like Zurich to Geneva or Munich.
On routes like to London or Stockholm a full hot (three course, but all served at once) meal is included usually. Breakfast is a cold meal though.
On even longer routes like to Tel Aviv, Moscow or Athens even more choices are available.

If you need a picture let me know and I'll dig one up.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Senator
Thank you for your response. I do know what the offerings under normal circumstances are, but I was interested in the current offerings during the reduced timetable. Apologies if my first post was not clear.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Have not flown Swiss recently, so don't know for sure. But on Lufthansa they still serve a tray in business class with a cold plated snack, dessert, a roll, and some chocolates, at least on the intra-German flights I have been on. Drinks are only water in 0.5 liter bottles, but I have also been offered coffee or tea on one morning flight.

On an early morning flight I had cereal with cold milk, as well as a roll with butter and jam, as well as a cake. So not that much different from previous flights, but the crews leave the plastic coverings on.

In economy class they served prepackaged sandwiches and small bottles of water.

Here is a photo of the offering on Monday afternoon from Frankfurt to Berlin:

ermis177 likes this.

Last edited by acjflyer; Apr 25, 2020 at 2:19 am Reason: Added photo
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/various/hygiene-measures
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Swiss / ZRH: Travel experience in during COVID

As Air travel picks up again I though it might be useful to have a thread on the actual travel experience with Swiss and in its main hubs Zurich / Geneva
So this should NOT be about cancellations, refunds but to share experience of people that have actually traveled - so others who have to do so can benefit from the experience - keeping in mind that things can act very rapidly.

So here is the first report:
ZRH-AMS-ZRH / 19-22 June

Receive and E-mail 24 hours before both flights (inbound / outbound) to be at last 2 hours before at the airport.

ZRH-AMS
CHECKIN:
They inisted to scan the passport of every one for every one in the party. Check in was very slow with all agents, so the quees go longer and longer (even at business check-in) - so maybe 10 minutes extra needed

Security
No waiting time at all - could just walk to the gate.

After security:
Beware 90% of the shops are closed a lot of the seating areas are closed and they will not be able to tell which terminal until 90 before the flight (which is annoying if you arrive 120 min before the flight as requested...)
One good area to sit if you want you peace is the waiting are around gate A50-59 as those are not in use but the seating area is still operation.

Lounge
Did not bother to try

Boarding:
No special process Business/Elites first - then everyone else - no social distance whatsoever...

Flight
Overbooked - they called out for volunteers. In the end the flight left with 3 empty seats in economy
Everyone on board wore a mask - although with Swiss is not mandatory
Inflight: Business: Tray with food / Economy: Cold drink and chocolate

AMS-ZRH
Swiss checkin in hall 3 - Security in in hall 1 - be pepared for loong walks
Otherwise minimal waiting times
Flight completely booked

Boarding: Strictly by boarding groups and and in small group - so there was some sort of distance.

On board: Same as above.
For inbound flight it is required to fill in a card from the federal office of health - so they can contact trace you should there be any cases identified after the flight.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
jsut came back ZRH FRA LIS FRA ZRH 18.6.22.6 was LH flights, and Biz Checkin at ZRH was empty, security too. Lounge was redirected to the OW, Priority lounge Aspire, which was 50% capacity and average selection (croissant, banana), still better than the STR lounge ...

The LH group announced a mandatory face mask!

boarding in groups, leaving by row number, first biz class, then every 3 rows in eco, once 3 rows left.. the next 3 rows etc

all 4 flights the same procedure

(FRA lounge overcrowded, as well as every coffee shop, Heinemann duty free etc outbound, inbound all empty Heinemann told me they get wrong numbers from airlines, LIS lounge closed, all but one pasteis shop closed)
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by aysoo
Heinemann duty free etc outbound, inbound all empty Heinemann told me they get wrong numbers from airlines
You mean there were no customers, or no staff, or no goods left to buy at the duty free shop?
I thought that might be an idea for some self-catering. (not alcohol, I know)
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Are all arrivals still treated as non-Schengen?
Or can Schengen arrivals walk through freely without immigration?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
No more border checks for departures to, and arrivals from, Schengen.
vantage03 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:57 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I am in ZRH right now, very relaxxed atmosphere, most places still closed, mask wearing is not compulsory so some people are not wearing any, I am in the Aspire lounge but they are kicking us out in 30 mins as they will close for 3 hours!

Oh and my LHR-ZRH Swiss flight was amazing, full service standards in Business Class, had 2 glasses of champagne and amazing service from the maitre de cabine. The breakfast was very delicious and I was given a healthy amount of Swiss chocolates as well!

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Jun 28, 2020 at 4:08 am
Old Jul 3, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
This morning, ZRH is very busy with people travelling on summer vacation. Security line was about 8min (no wait at priority line). Duty-free and one airside coffee shop (NZZ) open, rest of concessions and lounges still closed.

The check-in / bag-drop lines loooked very long and people were densly packed. I don't understand why all the check-in machines were disabled. Wouldn't it be better for people to use them, including for printing bag tags?

My flight has a bus gate, so that nuisance is back as well.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by airoli
This morning, ZRH is very busy with people travelling on summer vacation. Security line was about 8min (no wait at priority line). Duty-free and one airside coffee shop (NZZ) open, rest of concessions and lounges still closed.

The check-in / bag-drop lines loooked very long and people were densly packed. I don't understand why all the check-in machines were disabled. Wouldn't it be better for people to use them, including for printing bag tags?

My flight has a bus gate, so that nuisance is back as well.
because check-in machines have a huge amount of fingerprints, saliva from people talking and coughing and such. This is my guess why check-in machines have been disabled.

I was at ZRH last Saturday and it was dead quiet. All the flights from 10am until the very last one were presented on only 1 screen in the terminal TVs.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 6:14 am

Recent experirnce flying ZRH-HER

Flight: LX8348 operated by Edelweiss
Departure:: 3:40pm (scheduled), 3:50pm (actual)
Flight time: 2:40
Equipment: Airbus 340
Class: Business
Pax onboard: 300+, almost full.

After a 12 minute Uber ride on nearly empty Saturday roads, I was shocked to see huge crowds in ZRH. Luckily, the business class check-in had only a few people, but economy line was twisting several times. No social distancing was enforced whatsoever at check-in (or later at the boarding, so be careful). Nether masks were required, which was a bit surprising. Only half of passengers had masks in the airport (and onboard) but all airport stuff and FAs had masks.

Instead of computer access to Timatic for entry requirements, check-in agents had printouts and they meticulously verified them for all passengers, which probably contributed to long lines. I thought travel within Shengen area was already completely free, but it did not look like this. If you do not have European passport or ID card, bring your work permit / long term visa, otherwise you may not be allowed to board. This could be also a reason why self check in kiosks were disabled.

Security had only a few people, but I never had any delays in security in ZRH before, so it was working as usual. NOTE that due to Corona is allowed to take large bottles of hand sanitizers through security. I had 500ml bottle, they tested it on a separate scanner but otherwise no problem and I saw other passengers bringing similar bottles.

Some boutiques were closed in the terminal but most duty free shops, including main floor and upstairs were open. The store on the main floor was crowded, so I went upstairs to pick up some liquer and chocolates and there were only a few people there.

Boarding area was extremely crowded as several flights were departing to holiday destinations, including Crete, Ibiza and Palma around the same time.

I waited to board last to avoid crowds.

Greek government requires all arriving passengers to fill out Passenger Information Form online at least 48 hours before departure. Luckily, Swiss sent me a link to fill out the form a few days before the flight and I received confirmation email with QR code. I heard people were denied boarding without QR codes.

Once onboard it was nice to find lie flat seat in staggered 2+2+1 / 1+2+1 configuration on a short European flight. I have not flown own A340 in ages and they will not be flying for very long, but the plane was in pristine shape. I am actually surprised LX/WK still flying A340s given that LX for sure has a few spare A330s sitting around which are much more efficient.

I received pre-departure glass of proseco, headsets and a hanger for my jacket, which promptly taken and stored in the closet. Meal service was a bit abbreviated, l but it was still nice given the circumstances and way better than my last BKK-AMS flight in April on KLM. Lunch was a cold salad of roasted potatoes with beef, hot vegeterian quiche and a chocolate mousse. It was served with a full bar and 2 more rounds of hot and cold drinks,which was perfectly fine for a short European flight. FAs were really friendly.

Upon landing all passengers were asked to show QR code to immigration, but otherwise no passport or temperature checks. HER arrival was as crowded as it can get. With 3 flights arrived around the same time there were 500-600 people for 3 luggage conveyer belts. Unlike ZRH, masks were required insider HER terminal and FAs offered masks before landing for those who did not have them.

Bottom line. It was really nice to get back to flying. Excellent service, lie flat seat and nearly pre-COVID service on short European flight exceeded my expectations. I never flew Edelweiss before, but did not notice any major difference from Swiss mainline. I would not be as happy if I was in economy on fully packed wide body with only half of the passangers wearing masks and no middle seat blocking.

I also wish ZRH would implement better protocols to deal with crowds, social distancing and masks!

Last edited by AntonS; Jul 5, 2020 at 6:56 am
Old Jul 5, 2020, 7:26 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by royal757
because check-in machines have a huge amount of fingerprints, saliva from people talking and coughing and such. This is my guess why check-in machines have been disabled.
If you take McDonalds as an example, they still use them. They have a staff member who manages the queue and another who wipes off the screens after each use. Don't see why the same can't be done at an airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.