Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss / ZRH: Travel experience in during COVID [mask mandate etc]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by CDG1
This year is definitely different. They had lots last Summer in all the Swiss Lounges on Swiss grounds.
I would eat only ice cream. A feast.

I love Movenpick icecream! When I was there on Monday i just had tomato juice and chocolate until I reached my sugar fix limit. At least the scrambled eggs are nice, the sandwiches were not as good as when I was there end of July.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From recent Google reviews it does appear the PP Dnata GVA is open?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I'm on the first LX38 flight since the route was suspended. Flying in F

1) Ground operations for HON - Not great. F/HON Lounge isn't open, and section in A SEN lounge isn't anything to write home about. Then again, demand for this class of service is so low I question whether it's economical to offer these added things. F/HON check-in wasn't open.

2) Boarding was from D gates (on 77W) instead of the usual E. I actually preferred this rather than going all the way to E as, in my mind, the only benefit of E for F/HON pax is the lounge.

3) Despite boarding taking place from the D gates, it was through a bus to the plane. Can't remember the last time I boarded a 77W via stairs. Might have been the first time I've ever done that.

4) They were offering decent pricing to upgrade at the podium. I asked about J to F and they said 1400 CHF.

5) In-flight experience is usual Swiss, but with facemasks. The only slight modification to the food service in F was that there's no longer a trolley for distributing appetizers or salmon or dessert. But that's fine in my book.

6) Flight is pretty empty. F has only 3 pax. Business is nearly empty. And economy is nearly empty. I'm sure numbers to the US will pick up if borders open up again, but until then I'm not sure it's economical to fly this even 3x a week. Loads for my return flight are pretty grim. F has 3 seats free, so that's good. But J and Y are basically empty.

Not sure where my loyalties sit personally. I care a lot about in flight product, so for me that means flying AF P, LX F, LH F, SQ F (if that opportunity arises again), etc. But the tie-breaker for me has been excellent ground support through Europe and on routes where F isn't available. Without that ground support, I might just go for the cheapest F fare with the best product. I probably have one more SF trip and another NY trip this year, so we'll see. I haven't booked either yet.
Carfield likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The cargo in the hold is paying for the flight. Airfreight is currently at a premium due to the reduced pax aircraft traffic. They are currently offering 40-50 tons of freight on each flight for around 3-5$/kg.

https://www.swissworldcargo.com/en/n...s/fleet/boeing
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:01 pm

I'm glad! I was actually getting a bit worried. It's just not fun to see things this way, and I really feel for all the employees in this industry having to suffer through this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
If you go over to the AF forum, you’ll see AF P is in a significantly more grim position than LX F. It is basically Business service in a First Class Seat, with no price reduction from pre-Covid P. No lounge or ground support. Business catering.
Something tells me you should stick with LX
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by vantage03
If you go over to the AF forum, you’ll see AF P is in a significantly more grim position than LX F. It is basically Business service in a First Class Seat, with no price reduction from pre-Covid P. No lounge or ground support. Business catering.
Something tells me you should stick with LX
yeah I’ve been watching that quite closely, but thanks for the reminder!
vantage03 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Edelweiss to Zakynthos today.

Only beer and wine, no spirits (due to corona).

Vegan meal (same as vegetarian):

VGML J, WK, ZRH-ZTH
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Hopefully flying to Turkey and back in a few weeks and will be transiting ZRH on the way back to SFO.

​​​​​​Will I still be subject to the extra screening process if I'm just using ZRH as a transit point?

Anyone have recent experience flying Swiss to the US when connecting from a country not on the "ban list"
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Will I still be subject to the extra screening process if I'm just using ZRH as a transit point?
What extra screening process?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by airoli
What extra screening process?
When entering the US
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:41 pm

Duplicate
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
When entering the US
Ah. Well, that doesn't depend on the airline, or the ZRH experience, but on the rules and processes in place at SFO. You might be better off asking in the general Coronavirus and Travel forum, or a US regional forum.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by airoli
Ah. Well, that doesn't depend on the airline, or the ZRH experience, but on the rules and processes in place at SFO. You might be better off asking in the general Coronavirus and Travel forum, or a US regional forum.
Didn't know there was such a forum, will post there. Thank you
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
OMAAT just posted his experience of arriving on LX at MIA a few weeks ago. The US authorities don't seem to make much fuss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.