FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Connecting at ZRH do I need to collect bags? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1956392-connecting-zrh-do-i-need-collect-bags.html)

YXEGeordie Feb 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Connecting at ZRH do I need to collect bags?

Hi Everyone

Flying YUL-ZRH-LHR in a few days. If I check bags in YUL do I have to collect them at ZRH or can I collect them at LHR?

Thanks in advance for any advice

YXEG

dh01 Feb 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by YXEGeordie (Post 30780608)
Hi Everyone

Flying YUL-ZRH-LHR in a few days. If I check bags in YUL do I have to collect them at ZRH or can I collect them at LHR?

Thanks in advance for any advice

YXEG

You get bags in London

TonyBurr Feb 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Just make sure in YUL that you tell the agent to check the bags through to London, and check it. Then you do no t have to go through Immigration, Customs or collect and recheck your bags, just enjoy the walk to the new gate.

LHSEN Feb 17, 2019 5:07 am

Check thru your bag then no. Also, I think if you are on SWISS which I assume, I think Canada is like the US you don’t even need to go through security again for your connecting flight to LHR ...

Yul67 Feb 17, 2019 7:19 pm

I would also like to verify my upcoming flights: YUL - ZRH - FCO - BKK (yes it’s an odd routing but with points, you don’t always get the most direct). I presume my luggage will be checked all the way to BKK?

How about security and customs in ZRH since I only have 55 minutes to my flight to FCO?

Thnks

airoli Feb 18, 2019 1:33 am

Yes, if your flights are all on one ticket, your bags will be checked right through to BKK. (If they make the transit in FCO is another question, though :rolleyes: ) .

55min is fine for clearing Schengen immigration in ZRH. YUL is now considered a "clean" arrival so no second security screening is necessary.

LHSEN Feb 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Follow the sign to Gate A/B, instead of arrival baggage claim ... the former will get you to a different part of the Heidi train (assuming arrival at E gates), and also the other side of the immigration, however no more security needed. 55 mins should be sufficient time. If you have mistakenly gone to arrival baggage claim, then you will need to go back to departure hall and enter security again then might be tight ... I never trust any bag checks involving a transit in Italy. Good luck.

flying chef Feb 18, 2019 1:09 pm

So...let's look at the reverse....flying DAR-ZRH-YYZ First flight is on Swiss, second on AC. I'm assuming I will be able to check my bags all the way through, and upon arrival in ZRH, just go to my new gate. Correct ?

LHSEN Feb 18, 2019 1:34 pm

No. You will be exiting at the “lower” level (arrival level) assuming arrival gate E again, as opposed to US/Canada originating LX flights where those will exit the aircraft into the lounge area at the “upper” level (departure level) You will need to go through security but not immigration.

YuropFlyer Feb 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by LHSEN (Post 30788381)
Check thru your bag then no. Also, I think if you are on SWISS which I assume, I think Canada is like the US you don’t even need to go through security again for your connecting flight to LHR ...

Even if you're arriving "clean", if you fly to the UK which is almost always from the D gates, you'll either have to pass through immigration twice, or going through security. Pick your poison. Only a "D to D" or "E to E" transfer is security&immigration free when arriving clean.

bawm Feb 20, 2019 2:18 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 30799193)
Only a "D to D" or "E to E" transfer is security&immigration free when arriving clean.

Or A/B to A/B ;)

YuropFlyer Feb 20, 2019 4:26 am

Originally Posted by bawm (Post 30800432)
Or A/B to A/B ;)

I didn't want to point out the most obvious things, considering we're talking about Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen here, but your statement obviously is true, too ;)