Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ZRH Grocery Shopping in transfer- Migros or Coop?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, CX, OZ
ZRH Grocery Shopping in transfer- Migros or Coop?

Hi all,

Haven't been to ZRH for over 4 years and would greatly appreciate some tips on wayfinding etc.

Basically I have an upcoming trip connecting from an intercontinental flight to intra-schengen (from hkg and onto Malaga), and with a 3-hour layover in between I'm looking to visit some LX lounges and as well as to visit Migros/coop to buy some Nussstängeli

I understand that I have to enter the Schengen area at ZRH and pass through security anyways, but I was wondering if anyone has any much-needed advice on the following:

1) Not sure if ZRH is split into different levels like HKG or have a common departure/arrival area like SIN, but I was wondering would I have access to LX lounges in the intercontinental building as an arriving star gold passenger?Is it worth the time at all or should I head to Migros/coop right away and hide myself in the schengen lounges afterwards with my remaining time?

2) Are both stores in Landside areas before passing through security? Therefore guess I should follow signs for “arrival“ rather than “EU transfer“ (or other signs to this effect) ?

3)I know this is “flyertalk” not “supermarkettalk” (), but any advice on which store being better would also be very much be appreciated!

Thanks so much for your time on reading this so far and on your expertise, really appreciate all your help!

Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:26 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by MrChrisC
Hi all,

Haven't been to ZRH for over 4 years and would greatly appreciate some tips on wayfinding etc.

Basically I have an upcoming trip connecting from an intercontinental flight to intra-schengen (from hkg and onto Malaga), and with a 3-hour layover in between I'm looking to visit some LX lounges and as well as to visit Migros/coop to buy some Nussstängeli

I understand that I have to enter the Schengen area at ZRH and pass through security anyways, but I was wondering if anyone has any much-needed advice on the following:

1) Not sure if ZRH is split into different levels like HKG or have a common departure/arrival area like SIN, but I was wondering would I have access to LX lounges in the intercontinental building as an arriving star gold passenger?Is it worth the time at all or should I head to Migros/coop right away and hide myself in the schengen lounges afterwards with my remaining time?

2) Are both stores in Landside areas before passing through security? Therefore guess I should follow signs for “arrival“ rather than “EU transfer“ (or other signs to this effect) ?

3)I know this is “flyertalk” not “supermarkettalk” (), but any advice on which store being better would also be very much be appreciated!

Thanks so much for your time on reading this so far and on your expertise, really appreciate all your help!

Arriving from Hong Kong you most probably arrive in the midfield terminal E (With a slight chance of D).
When arriving clean there are no different arrival and departure areas. Only when arriving unclean you need to first go through security again and are then free to roam around the airport.
Yes, as you are *G you will have access to the Senator Lounge E, but not because you are arriving, but because you have an upcoming flight to Malage on *A metal as *G.
When arriving in E you can head to the lounges in E and get some breakfast, then go to the skymetro and head to A,B/D and pass passport control there to enter the shengen zone. This is the area where the gates are, but you will need to leave the airport to head to Migros and Coop and then reenter.
When arriving in D you can visit the lounges in D, but they are really not as good as either A or E. So you can head straight through passport control and then either go through security to get airside or leave the airport to head to Migros and Coop, that are both not airside. You will need to reenter the airport and go through security again and there you will then have access to the Lounges in A.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Arriving from Hong Kong you most probably arrive in the midfield terminal E (With a slight chance of D).
When arriving clean there are no different arrival and departure areas. Only when arriving unclean you need to first go through security again and are then free to roam around the airport.
Yes, as you are *G you will have access to the Senator Lounge E, but not because you are arriving, but because you have an upcoming flight to Malage on *A metal as *G.
When arriving in E you can head to the lounges in E and get some breakfast, then go to the skymetro and head to A,B/D and pass passport control there to enter the shengen zone. This is the area where the gates are, but you will need to leave the airport to head to Migros and Coop and then reenter.
When arriving in D you can visit the lounges in D, but they are really not as good as either A or E. So you can head straight through passport control and then either go through security to get airside or leave the airport to head to Migros and Coop, that are both not airside. You will need to reenter the airport and go through security again and there you will then have access to the Lounges in A.
Alternatively if arriving to D, you can still go to E lounges.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:56 pm

Migros at the airport is by far bigger and better stocked than Coop, but the chocolate is better at Coop. Cookies are very good at Migros, but the Kambly brand at Coop is on par.
dtbe likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:33 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
In order to get to the supermarkets (and the fully stocked Sprüngli branch), head towards the railway station and check in area 3, across the street in front of arrivals.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: LXFF
3 hours, I would probably skip the louge and go to Globus downtown
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by aflo
Migros at the airport is by far bigger and better stocked than Coop, but the chocolate is better at Coop. Cookies are very good at Migros, but the Kambly brand at Coop is on par.
Coop and migros! In transit airside and also on a layover with overnight(s) at Radisson Blu ZRH No booze at Migros only Coop Better selection of other goods at Migros Downtown Coop Bahnhofstrasse They even stock my fave Iliada PDO Greek Xvirgin olive oil at great prices!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I am a fan of the COOP because I collect points there and they sometimes have interesting freebies. But Migros is very good and have a wide range of high quality products at low prices, for the quality. My question would be, is there anywhere in Zurich Airport where I could check a lottery ticket (Swisslotto)? The tickets bought in the German speaking part can't be chekced in Suisse Romande, the French speaking part.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Concerto
is there anywhere in Zurich Airport where I could check a lottery ticket (Swisslotto)?
Any kiosk, of which there are many land- and airside.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's fine, I'm sure I'll find one quickly. By the way, it's only CHF12.60 with the SBB from Montreux, an excellent price for a Sparbillete. I was hoping to pop into a big bookshop in Zurich to look for the Rother Wanderführer for the Berner Oberland West, which is an elusive book (new edition due shortly).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was nothing on the lottery (Swisslotto) ticket. Not doing too well with that at the moment, it's easier to win something on the Euromillions. But they have just released the Swisslotto as a scratch card (apart from all the other scratchcard game types they have). I wonder if SWISS will start selling scratchcards like Ryanair....
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:18 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
There was nothing on the lottery (Swisslotto) ticket. Not doing too well with that at the moment, it's easier to win something on the Euromillions. But they have just released the Swisslotto as a scratch card (apart from all the other scratchcard game types they have). I wonder if SWISS will start selling scratchcards like Ryanair....
I don't think too much of things like Lotto or Euromillions. I mean, sure I'd take the price, but the chances are too low to be actually interesting.
However, if the price is a lifetime HON membership count me in!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:49 am

There was nothing on the lottery (Swisslotto) ticket. Not doing too well with that at the moment
I am sure you know this already, but lotteries are run for the benefit of the government, not the players. Read this article in the Telegraph. Then, spend your money on air tickets instead...
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, so totally agree with all the sentiments above. The only thing about the Swiss lottery is, they give quite a bit to charity and artistic ventures. I've had a few positive answers from them when seeking funds, so I can't knock it. As for the mathematical chances, I'm afraid the monkey on the typewriter would agree, they are absurdly low. So much so, you'd be daft to buy a ticket. But I do anyway, 5 francs only per draw!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:04 pm

Ah, that's nice - playing seems fair given that you've "won" prizes in the form of arts grants funded by the lottery. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.