Search

Newbie Question ZRH short stopover: electronics shopping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
ZRH short stopover: electronics shopping

Dear All,

I will be connecting from FLR on to AMS on a 1h30m stopover, I was wondering if, without leaving security, there are shops selling electronic goods (I am looking for an Iphone...). From ZRH website I see there is a shop in the arrivals area but not in the sterile area.

Thanks!

taxi_driver
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Why in god's name would you want to shop for a perfectly standardized product in one of the most expensive countries on earth, and on top of that in the ridiculously inflated price environment of an airport?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by airoli
Why in god's name would you want to shop for a perfectly standardized product in one of the most expensive countries on earth, and on top of that in the ridiculously inflated price environment of an airport?
Because
a) It's outside the EU - so you can get VAT back
b) Apple prices are set mostly at product Launch (and don't change because of the general price level of that country) - depending on the FX rate development a country with a different currency can be quite a bit cheaper (eg. Japan at the moment)
c) If a) doesn't apply Switzerland is quite cheap because Apple prices are set before VAT - and Switzerland has got a low VAT rate...

@ OP: There are several electronics shops (belonging to cell companies) airside [edit: of course i mean landside - inside the Airport Center] with 1 1/2 hours layover a visit to one of them should be easy. Security control in ZRH is usually really quick and there is no passport check since you'll remain inside Schengen

Last edited by frogster; Dec 5, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by frogster
Because
b) Apple prices are set mostly at product Launch (and don't change because of the general price level of that country) - depending on the FX rate development a country with a different currency can be quite a bit cheaper (eg. Japan at the moment)
c) If a) doesn't apply Switzerland is quite cheap because Apple prices are set before VAT - and Switzerland has got a low VAT rate...
Thanks, I did not know that. However, I'd still compare prices. Very often, Swiss importers / distributors shamelessly mark up prices of electronics to compensate for the above. Also, with a very quick stopover, the OP likely won't have the time to reclaim VAT.
@ OP: There are several electronics shops (belonging to cell companies) airside
According to both my memory and the Zurich Airport website, all mobile phone stores (networks & InterDiscount) are landside
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by frogster
Because

@ OP: There are several electronics shops (belonging to cell companies) airside - with 1 1/2 hours layover a visit to one of them should be easy. Security control in ZRH is usually really quick and there is no passport check since you'll remain inside Schengen
Agree with above. Let's not also forget, Switzerland provides an extra year of warranty hence 2 years total... hence I always buy in CH if possible.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
Because thanks to Mr Mario Monti VAT on electronic goods here in Italy is 22%. And Switzerland is, along with Japan and the UAE, one of the cheapest places to buy any Apple product.

Just to give you an example: Iphone 8 plus in Switzerland is 825€, Iphone 8 plus in Italy is 949€. That's 125€ less, not bad at all. Iphone X is about 160€ less.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by taxi_driver
Just to give you an example: Iphone 8 plus in Switzerland is 825€, Iphone 8 plus in Italy is 949€. That's 125€ less, not bad at all. Iphone X is about 160€ less.
Interesting - I really did not expect that. And while I have never purchased one of those fruit products for myself, my Swiss friends keep mentioning how they went on shopping sprees in the Apple stores in the U.S.. - so I assume it's even cheaper there.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As a CH resident you would have to pay the VAT hence the US prices are cheaper.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
You can probably get to Interdiscount after your flight in about 15-20 minutes from landing. If you can read German, French, or Italian, you can probably go to interdiscount.ch and pre-order what you want to buy, and have it waiting for you at the airport shop. I've got no idea what that means for the VAT though. Occasionally, they'll have 10-20% off iPads and iPhones, which can be a pretty good deal.

And when you head back airside, if you're in business, security will take you about 3 minutes, if in economy, it might take about 5.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
As a CH resident you would have to pay the VAT hence the US prices are cheaper.
Though depending where you buy your Apple stuff in the US, you might end up paying sales tax.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:53 pm

Others already chipped in, but while you're generally right that goods generally are more expensive in Switzerland than most other countries, this isn't the case for electronics (and some watches) - especially if you can get the VAT back (but even without it, Electronics are often cheaper in Switzerland than countries around it, who have extremely high VAT) - it can make very much sense to buy electronic products in Switzerland.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Even if you add the low sales tax in some US states it beats apple prices worldwide:

How much does the iPhone X cost around the world?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

BTW, Interdiscount was having a 10% discount on a bunch of Apple stuff over the past few days.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
In case of electronic goods, Switzerland has some of the best prices on the world... Just once compair prices in CH with Asia, USA and the other countries on the world...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:58 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Interdiscount have 10% off today if you order off their website (you can select to pickup and pay at ZRH airport shop at a later date, the device would wait for you and the 10% would still apply). If you're after the iPhone X, they ship fairly quickly in CH right now, so shouldn't be a problem, the other iPhones being in stock immediately for the most part. With the code 'SERVICE-12-2017' entered at checkout you'd also save an extra 50 CHF.

If you have a 1hr30 connection you'd probably have enough time to go out landside pay and go through security again. If you haven't paid in advance and fail to pickup the order then after a while it is automatically cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.