Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWISS First, Senator and Business Lounges in Zurich Terminal E

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Wtravel
My experience for months has been that the „chefs“ at the counter actually only fill up the dishes you then serve yourself from.
That's exactly what I meant by "things have gone downhill" in my more recent posts.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by goliath
I guess I must have been lucky - or we have different understandings of a "proper whiskey glass". I always got a long-stem tulip glass, but open at the lip, something like this: https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/...16/1385325.jpg

A lot of people think a "proper whiskey glass" is a tumbler, because they see that in american movies. But it doesn't have to be, there are so many varieties out there.
^

This is actually what I would consider an appropriate glass for whisky sampling and "nosing" today. The times they are a-changing...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
There are a few SEN lounges (overseas) which probably qualify as better. Plus, about half of the *G lounges elsewhere in the lounge.

LH considers themselves as 5* carrier, so they should offer a better experience

LOL, please. I was just in the LX SEN lounge and it was very decent. Please, please tell me even one SEN lounge (overseas) and five *Gold lounges (let alone the half you referenced) that are better than the ZRH SEN lounge around the world?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
LOL, please. I was just in the LX SEN lounge and it was very decent. Please, please tell me even one SEN lounge (overseas) and five *Gold lounges (let alone the half you referenced) that are better than the ZRH SEN lounge around the world?
Question is what qualifies as „better“. In terms of the design, the SEN E is probably hard to beat. However, I have always primarily criticized the food and beverage options (particularly food). If you look at most *G lounges around then world (for example both the TG and SQ lounges in HKG, and also the SEN at JFK), they do better than ZRH, at least in my opinion - even though their design and location (which is not the airlines‘ fault) might not keep up with ZRH.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by bruce80
Question is what qualifies as „better“. In terms of the design, the SEN E is probably hard to beat. However, I have always primarily criticized the food and beverage options (particularly food). If you look at most *G lounges around then world (for example both the TG and SQ lounges in HKG, and also the SEN at JFK), they do better than ZRH, at least in my opinion - even though their design and location (which is not the airlines‘ fault) might not keep up with ZRH.
Most? There's *A LAX and LH JFK (you mentioned, I'm wouldn't rate it higher myself) in North America. South America doesn't stand out either (*A GRU isn't better food wise and certainly not design wise).
Africa?
Europe? Same lounge 'operators' so food will be of similar quality. SK lounges aren't better. LO lounge has better food, but is often crowded. Haven't been to the LHR UA/AC/SQ lounges to compare - but that's still pretty far from most.
Asia - not a fan of the TG lounges, SQ I have had limited exposure, but even so that hardly makes a 'most'.
NH? Not really.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Lack
Most?
Most? Probably not.

In addition to the ones you mentioned (LAX, JFK, LHR, which are at least on par), the NZ lounge in AKL has a lot going for it: food, barista, views, more showers (the wait in E in ZRH us often too long), convertible terrace, etc.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:23 am

bruce80 already pretty much summed it up.

A few lounges I find - at least in some areas (mostly food, sometimes drinks, sometimes ambience), better than LX SEN:*
-SIN, Silverkris (especially food-wise, but also drinks, minus whisky, of course) * I know that this isn't a *G lounge, but technically, it would compete with the Business lounge from LX, which is worse..
-SIN, TG, good food choices, otherwise not that much.
-DXB, SEN: Some don't like it, I personally find it quite ok food-wise. We can probably argue about that all night long..
-HKG, food-wise all 3 *A lounges beat LX SEN food. Drink-wise, Silverkris beats LX hands down.
-PEK, the food at the Business CA lounge isn't actually that bad. The Sushi is decent, and the freshly made noodle soups are good. Drink-wise it's crap, though. I do like the "open feeling" of the lounge, but others might dislike it.
-Japan, overall, is a mixed bag, mostly I prefer the LX lounge over it.
-VIE: Food is limited but tasty, lounge itself isn't much. Not the best LH group does offer
-FRA/MUC: Especially for drinks, FRA B as well as MUC (one of them..non-Schengen main terminal?) with the bars are pretty good. Food is a mixed bag, and not better than the fake-front cooking overall (but overall not worse either)
-TAP: I really like their new lounge in LIS! Food could be more varied, but if you don't visit more often than once a quarter, it does offer a good mix. Plus nice wines, spirits, drinks at the bar. And I like the airy design.
-SAS: ARN is good, OSL I heard should be fantastic, CPH is beyond ugly. Overall, not worse than SEN.

Those are the lounges I visit at least reasonable frequently.

I really like the LX design, this is where the lounge is still great.

However, the "show cooking" is basically just ready-to-eat food, and often just a limited few options are available. I tried the pasta a few times, the sauces added to it are not good at all in my opinion, the other dishes can be hit or miss. The salad bar is good!
If you're lucky and hitting a "good food day", it's still not bad, but just - again, in my opinion - food-wise not as good as some other *A lounges, and even a few SEN's.

With the drinks, it's quite easy: If you like Whisky, you're (still) in heaven at the LX SEN. If you don't like Whisky.. well, you can still enjoy an Aperol Spritz Not really much choice. No cocktails, etc. - not that the old smoker's long bar in A was good drinks-wise, but the choices apart Whisky were a bit more

Again, I don't think the LX SEN is a bad lounge, just saying that ESPECIALLY the "front-cooking"/food section definitely got downgraded, and some Whisky's got enhanced. Overall, still a very solid lounge I enjoy visiting, and which is worth a visit.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
The LX F lounge in E is fabulous & the day rooms are super nice BUT yesterday it was 33 deg outside & the day rooms have floor to ceiling windows & no aircon, it was hotter than hell inside
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by chris63
The LX F lounge in E is fabulous & the day rooms are super nice BUT yesterday it was 33 deg outside & the day rooms have floor to ceiling windows & no aircon, it was hotter than hell inside
Agree day rooms were shockingly hot also Friday morning and again Friday evening Lounge not that much better Same at A F Lounge where AC struggled
Senator lounges also at A+E were hot
I must say the new Amenities kits in the Dayrooms are fantastic and 2 in each dayroom!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Frankly I find the E Sen lounge to be the best in the world. Better than CX Hong Kong, better than JAL Haneda, which are the only two that come close. I love the terrace, the breakfast omelet cooked to order, and find the food in general to be good. Wifi works well. And I find the design appealing. So I say "good job SWISS".
behuman likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Frankly I find the E Sen lounge to be the best in the world. Better than CX Hong Kong, better than JAL Haneda, which are the only two that come close. I love the terrace, the breakfast omelet cooked to order, and find the food in general to be good. Wifi works well. And I find the design appealing. So I say "good job SWISS".
Well, yes, I like it, too.

But the food after breakfast time has gone downhill so much after 2016 and the WiFi on the terrace does not work well at all. So a good job for a *Gold lounge, but still a lot left to be desired.

Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbourl
Agree day rooms were shockingly hot also Friday morning and again Friday evening Lounge not that much better Same at A F Lounge where AC struggled
Senator lounges also at A+E were hot
I must say the new Amenities kits in the Dayrooms are fantastic and 2 in each dayroom!
Yes, both A & E FCL’s were on the warm side but not putting aircon in day rooms with floor to ceiling windows is plain stupid.

The amenities in the day rooms & showers have always been good & these certainly maintain the standard.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
. Wifi works well. And I find the design appealing. So I say "good job SWISS".
SWISS lounges in E are nice but the WiFi is one of the weakest areas, awful having to use those stupid vouchers & last Friday & Saturday it was not working for large parts of the day according to FCL Staff & certainly when I was there
on Saturday afternoon onwards it was mostly not working.
Using the airport system with no back up is poor for FCL’s
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: LXFF
I've always been to the day room early in the day and it's never been too hot. I can't imagine there is no AC...that just seems weird.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:45 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by ced_lx
I've always been to the day room early in the day and it's never been too hot. I can't imagine there is no AC...that just seems weird.
Originally Posted by chris63
Yes, both A & E FCL’s were on the warm side but not putting aircon in day rooms with floor to ceiling windows is plain stupid.
There is a sort of AC, but it’s not primarily used for cooling, but rather for air circulation.
I personally like not catching a cold due to a crazy AC, I’d rather deal with high temperatures. (even if they are LX Lounges d level high)
I don’t like those hotel rooms where you can’t turn off the AC and I don’t like how, for example in the US, everything is cooled down to 20* while it’s 35* outside, I can’t stand this.
cbourl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.