Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by CynthiaSteffe
Incidentally, train arrives into Zurich HB at 1:23, and I have to catch the TGV leaving at 1:34 to Paris. Tight connection? I've been through the HB before and 11 minutes seems like plenty of time, but I'm not so good with time!
The 1:13pm Train is scheduled to arrive at HB Platform 15, and the 1:34pm TGV leaves from Platform 17. (Maybe you should doublecheck that with your dates at www.rail.ch, go to 'timetable', from Zurich Airport to Paris, then click 'show all details' of the connection you want to make, and it'll display the scheduled Platforms for the whole trip)

It should be plenty of time, provided you're towards the front of the Train from the Airport - with the TGV's reserved Seating, it can be a longish walk to the correct Carriage.
But - why not take an earlier Train to HB from the Airport, there's one every 10 minutes or so. A leisurly stroll down to the Train Station when the Arrivals Lounge closes, and you could catch say the 12:43 or 12:47 Trains, allowing yourself over half an hour to make your connection at HB and settle into the TGV with less stress.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: JPMorgan Palladium, AMEX MR, Krisflyer, M&M, United, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by matt in france
The 1:13pm Train is scheduled to arrive at HB Platform 15, and the 1:34pm TGV leaves from Platform 17. (Maybe you should doublecheck that with your dates at www.rail.ch, go to 'timetable', from Zurich Airport to Paris, then click 'show all details' of the connection you want to make, and it'll display the scheduled Platforms for the whole trip)

It should be plenty of time, provided you're towards the front of the Train from the Airport - with the TGV's reserved Seating, it can be a longish walk to the correct Carriage.
But - why not take an earlier Train to HB from the Airport, there's one every 10 minutes or so. A leisurly stroll down to the Train Station when the Arrivals Lounge closes, and you could catch say the 12:43 or 12:47 Trains, allowing yourself over half an hour to make your connection at HB and settle into the TGV with less stress.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably do that.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I am looking at booking IAD-ZRH-IST with a 1h 25m connection in ZRH.. UA to LX.

IST is not part of the EU, so I'd be completely non-Schengen, correct? So no immigration and customs in ZRH? Just a security check of hand-luggage?

Also, will UA issue my LX BP for ZRH-IST? Or must I visit the transfer desk in ZRH?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:05 pm

[QUOTE=warreng24;19118457]I am looking at booking IAD-ZRH-IST with a 1h 25m connection in ZRH.. UA to LX.

Not a problem. Forget what I wrote before, I misread your post.

Last edited by hwmorth; Aug 14, 2012 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by warreng24
I am looking at booking IAD-ZRH-IST with a 1h 25m connection in ZRH.. UA to LX.

IST is not part of the EU, so I'd be completely non-Schengen, correct? So no immigration and customs in ZRH? Just a security check of hand-luggage?

Also, will UA issue my LX BP for ZRH-IST? Or must I visit the transfer desk in ZRH?
Hi warreng24,

If everything is on the same ticket I do not think you have to worry. In such a case very likely you will get all your BP at check-in.

1h25' in ZRH are more than enough, even if you have to change terminals with the underground train.

I am flying this week from USA to BCN via ZRH(so having to go through passport control and a guaranteed change of terminal), with a 45' transfer, and I still believe it will be OK(not so sure about the bags though)
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: SQ Solitaire, HH Diamond, Shangrila Golden Circle Diamond, Leaders Club (LHW)
Hi,
I will be arriving in ZRH on LX975 in Y ETA 10:55 am for a connecting flight on SQ345 in C (ETD 11:45 am). No check-in luggage. Looking at the transfer info on ZRH website, it seems LX975 arrives in A/B and SQ departs from E. Can I make it for my connecting flight? Thanks.

Last edited by kynd; Sep 1, 2012 at 10:49 am
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by kynd
Hi,
I will be arriving in ZRH on LX975 in Y ETA 10:55 am for a connecting flight on SQ345 in C (ETD 11:45 am). No check-in luggage. Looking at the transfer info on ZRH website, it seems LX975 arrives in A/B and SQ departs from E. Can I make it for my connecting flight? Thanks.
Assuming your incoming flight is one time, you can make it easily. Just follow the signs "Transit, e gates", you'll have to exit Schengen in ZRH in the main terminal before hopping into the Heidi train to the E gates. If you're arriving early and your flight to Singapore hasn't been boarding yet (probably it will be boarding, the A380 starts quite early) then feel free to visit the Panorama lounge in the E gates.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: SQ Solitaire, HH Diamond, Shangrila Golden Circle Diamond, Leaders Club (LHW)
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Assuming your incoming flight is one time, you can make it easily. Just follow the signs "Transit, e gates", you'll have to exit Schengen in ZRH in the main terminal before hopping into the Heidi train to the E gates. If you're arriving early and your flight to Singapore hasn't been boarding yet (probably it will be boarding, the A380 starts quite early) then feel free to visit the Panorama lounge in the E gates.
Thanks, YuropFlyer.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Is a 40 min connection possible for the following LX flights?

ARN (Schengen?) >>> ZRH >>> HKG

From what I'm gathering so far, it sounds like arrival may be at Dock A/B and then departure at Dock E. The pax traveling (not me) likely will not be checking luggage. It seems that there won't be a security check, but there will be passport control. Connection between docks is by train.

I haven't traveled much in Europe so I'm not familiar with the Schengen policies, or ZRH for that matter. Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eleeut

From what I'm gathering so far, it sounds like arrival may be at Dock A/B and then departure at Dock E. The pax traveling (not me) likely will not be checking luggage. It seems that there won't be a security check, but there will be passport control. Connection between docks is by train.

I haven't traveled much in Europe so I'm not familiar with the Schengen policies, or ZRH for that matter. Thanks!
They seem to sell this connection (LX1255 > LX138) on swiss.com so it must be legal but I wouldn't like to risk it myself.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:43 am

It's legal, it's possible, and unless the arriving flight is more than 15min late, you should be fine if you're experienced at travelling airports..

However... it's a very late evening flight. LX might be less interested in holding the flight to HKG should your incoming flight be late. Usually the later the day is, the more the European flights tend to have a chance of delay. And while ARN certainly is good at deicing, no every European airport is so good at it, and if the schedule goes crazy, your plane might have been to other airports before where it caught some delay...

I would book this only if arriving a day later in HKG won't kill your schedule..
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:51 pm

This itin has been reserved, but not booked yet, and will be for end of November. I'm sure that ice may come into play at ARN at that time of the year. The pax will be in J but is trying to get an earlier flight ex-ARN instead of this current one, but that flight seems to increase in cost with some significance.

I don't like 40 min connections in any airport!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This itin has been reserved, but not booked yet, and will be for end of November. I'm sure that ice may come into play at ARN at that time of the year. The pax will be in J but is trying to get an earlier flight ex-ARN instead of this current one, but that flight seems to increase in cost with some significance.

I don't like 40 min connections in any airport!
Ask your T.A. to contact their rep at Swiss. 40 minute connection while it may be legal especially with HKG and only one flight a day has significant risk of missing flight 1 and then be at risk to also miss flight 2!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Ask your T.A. to contact their rep at Swiss. 40 minute connection while it may be legal especially with HKG and only one flight a day has significant risk of missing flight 1 and then be at risk to also miss flight 2!
yes - i've related this back to the person traveling on the itin that even the ZRH experts don't like it! the earlier flight was selected originally, but the company travel dept went ahead and reserved this one because it was cheaper.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes - i've related this back to the person traveling on the itin that even the ZRH experts don't like it! the earlier flight was selected originally, but the company travel dept went ahead and reserved this one because it was cheaper.
Get the company travel department to contact their travel agent or their direct agent contact at LX and see if they will switch to the earlier flight at the correct price. Alternatively advise the person travelling that they may need to be prepared to shift their entire work agenda as the probability of arriving 1 day late in HK is a bit hire than zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.